Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 05-05-2013, 06:48 PM

I was at WSS North the other day looking to pick up some shells and there were 2 young guys looking to see one of the guns behind the counter. The older salesman said and I quote " that plastic piece of ****?"

It was none of my business and still isnt but I was tempted to talk to a manger about it. I was so disgusted I left without purchasing anything, and so did the 2 looking at the firearm.
Old 05-05-2013, 07:26 PM

Buying multiple SKS at a local gs, clerk asked "Are you guys starting something?" I said "No, we're finishing something". Dude looked startled.
Old 05-06-2013, 09:52 AM

Was at the gun counter at WSS Calgary and when my number came up I was greeted by a fellow that must have just graduated high school. I asked if I could take a look at the Lyman flintlock Trade Rifle, & he says "Oh, you don't want one of those things."

Curious as to why he would suggest this, I ask "And why is that?"

He replies, "They misfire on every third shot."

"Every third shot, every time. Without fail?" I ask.

He earnestly replies, "Yeah. You should go for a percussion model instead."

I look to the older guy next to him and repeat my initial question. When he hands me the rifle he says "Good choice. Lyman flintlocks are extremely reliable rifles & quite affordable too."

Out of the corner of my eye, I see the guy next to me shake his head and walk away from the gun counter.

I can understand if the young man is inexperienced, but he shouldn't be giving advice on things that he obviously has no knowledge about.
Old 05-07-2013, 09:53 AM

re the above:
Many young men can't help themselves in regards to giving advice about things they know fa about. It's part of being young. I'm not young anymore and still do it from time to time...
Old 05-07-2013, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered user View Post
Buying multiple SKS at a local gs, clerk asked "Are you guys starting something?" I said "No, we're finishing something". Dude looked startled.
lol thats awesome
Old 05-11-2013, 11:33 AM

My favorite from a gun shop owner who was talking to a customer looking at a 10/22 is: "The reason that the Ruger 10/22 is so good is that it was originally designed in 223 for the Unites States Army".
Old 05-12-2013, 12:27 AM

Bartons- had a guy tell me that my 7mm would not work as a long range gun and that they were barrel burners that would only get 200 rounds out of it.

Homehardwear- Had a guy tell me that the mauser 98 action was going to phase out the Remington 700 and that Remington was going to start building mauser actions to replace them. I asked him if he need medicine!

Phoniex- Was told by a rep from there that he had people come in and throw away there nightforce for a busnell. Was also told that a.284 cal would not make a it out past 500 yards. I asked if he ever heard of a ultra mag lol
Old 05-12-2013, 07:47 AM

Was at Wholesale northside last week to buy primers. Not a single customer at the counter. Walked up to the counter, asked for the primers I needed then went and paid for them. Got in the truck and thought to myself how nice it was to not over hear stupid questions from customers and stupid answers from Wholesale counter guys. It was a good day at Wholesale Sports........
Old 05-14-2013, 10:58 PM

This story may sound a little farfetched but when I was at the gun counter at Cabelas buying my brother his rifle, the lady next to me was buying a rifle for her husband as an early christmas gift. She was buying one of the savages that come with a bushnell scope in the package. I was kinda eavesdropping, but I am 100% positive I heard her say to the clerk she hates bushnell scopes because she shot at and missed 3 hunters that trespassed on her land. She was laughing while telling this story too. 'You should of seen them hit the deck and run' she said. I couldn't believe it. And what baffled me even more was that the gun clerk laughed at her story and let her purchase the firearm.
Old 05-15-2013, 08:17 AM

Unhappy Why does this happen?

Are all sales people like this? Just gun sales people? Do the customers go into the store to argue with the staff?

When you read these posts you wonder where they get these people to work the counter. It is no crime not know all the information about all guns, but to make up facts and then argue is shocking.
Old 05-15-2013, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by densa44 View Post
Are all sales people like this? Just gun sales people? Do the customers go into the store to argue with the staff?

When you read these posts you wonder where they get these people to work the counter. It is no crime not know all the information about all guns, but to make up facts and then argue is shocking.
Like everyone, they are probably just pressured to be all knowing in order to sell stuff. I am sure they have some laughs at some of the customers they get too.
Old 05-15-2013, 07:35 PM

Default funny things you have

well me and my brother were at this gun shop and he was after a new hunting rifle we asked this one guy could we have a look at this new tikka on the rack he said help yourself guys ,he went on his break then in came this pencil neck kid he told us not to handle the rifles as they may be loaded ready for shooting ,after a few words we left and they lost a sale
Old 05-16-2013, 02:47 PM

Default Most accurate gun EVER! I want one...

Wolverine in Red Deer. I was buying some accessories for my new 308 which I had to order online since it is hard to find (Rem 700 5r milspec with the 20" barrel). The guy behind the counter proceeded to tell me about how one of their "crappy $500 rem700 shoots better". (His words, not mine) At 700 yards, EVERY bullet was in a 2.5 inch group. COULDN'T MISS!! That's a .35 grouping gun out of the box. WOW! And he isn't even that good of a shot (again, his words). Had to laugh as his stories about tac driving rifles went on and on.
Old 05-22-2013, 12:21 PM

Heard a guy one time at a counter in Montana of all places, asking for a suitable 9mm for bear protection...... I was tempted to suggest a pair of runners for the people he's going to be around to allow them to get away while he stands there and ****es the charging freight train off LOL.
Old 05-22-2013, 04:19 PM

[QUOTE=catnthehat;1905780][QUOTE=nekred;1905742]I love these stories keep them coming... I love to hear all the BS spewed at achery counters as well...
Quote:

Quite a few years ago (late 80's?) my father had come up for a visit and we were hanging out at a sports shop called Northern Sportsman in Ft. Mac.
he spide a set of 280 Rem. dies in the bargain bin and for the price, he picked them up.
The guy at the counter, never meeting him before says " the 280's no good, 7mag's the best you should get one of those " The Old man grabbed my arm and squeezed a bit ust before I was going to give the counter guy an ear full.

The guys were shooting their compounds through the chronograph a while later and I sent a few heavy cedars out of my Mike Fedora long bow - it was quick for a long bow bow even with those arrows .
same guy says" nice bow, what bow do you hunt with "?
Don't think I went back in there after.
Cat
Theres a good chance the guy behind the counter was my brother, there for I think your full of SH IT. He's one of the most knowledgable guys about guns and ammo. And he's shoots a pretty mean group with a bow. By the way, buy your self a real bow..
Old 05-22-2013, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Theres a good chance the guy behind the counter was my brother, there for I think your full of SH IT. He's one of the most knowledgable guys about guns and ammo. And he's shoots a pretty mean group with a bow. By the way, buy your self a real bow..
I knew every person that worked in that store very well , and all were good people, that tried to do a good job. However, aside from the owner "R", the boys were quite young at the time, were just starting to learn about firearms and ballistics, and were quite opinionated as most young people are. That being said, I have no doubt that "T" or "B" said exactly as Cat posted. I hunted with your brother, and the owner and his son, and shot archery with them all. I have also known the Cat for far too long to know that he doesn't make up these stories.
Old 05-22-2013, 04:45 PM

I was at the old Russells in Calgary and asked for some buckshot.

Me: hey I was looking to pick up some 000 buck.

Counter: 000 buck, there's no such thing. Only 00 buck.

Me: .....

Counter: anything else you need help with?

Me: yup, you see that box right there behind you that says 000 buck. I'll take those....
Old 05-22-2013, 05:31 PM

Salesman behind the counter of the new Cabelas store here in Winnipeg selling a Ruger take down to a couple of young gentlemen........."Mine shoots dime size groups out to 75 yards all day long"!!!!!!!! I told him I'll pay him double what he paid if the gun was that accurate.

He didn't like my interference....
Old 05-22-2013, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
I knew every person that worked in that store very well , and all were good people, that tried to do a good job. However, aside from the owner "R", the boys were quite young at the time, were just starting to learn about firearms and ballistics, and were quite opinionated as most young people are. That being said, I have no doubt that "T" or "B" said exactly as Cat posted. I hunted with your brother, and the owner and his son, and shot archery with them all. I have also known the Cat for far too long to know that he doesn't make up these stories.
This is my favorite post in quite a while.
Old 05-22-2013, 10:42 PM

[QUOTE=Team Anzac;1975095][QUOTE=catnthehat;1905780]
Quote:
Originally Posted by nekred View Post
I love these stories keep them coming... I love to hear all the BS spewed at achery counters as well...
There's a good chance you are wrong, but just in case you are not, I have no respect for someone who knows nothing and spouts crap.
As far as real bows go, I has shot long bows and recurves since the 60's, I don't use or want a compound to kill animals.
Cat
Old 05-22-2013, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter1602 View Post
I was at the old Russells in Calgary and asked for some buckshot.

Me: hey I was looking to pick up some 000 buck.

Counter: 000 buck, there's no such thing. Only 00 buck.

Me: .....

Counter: anything else you need help with?

Me: yup, you see that box right there behind you that says 000 buck. I'll take those....
Haha !
Old 05-23-2013, 01:07 AM
Banned

Team Anzac... if that is your real name.

Wow.

It only took you 21 posts to irritate about the most even tempered guy on the whole damn forum.

Good work.... that must be some kind of record.

I've never met Cat but he is consistent and forthright and willing to help anyone here that requires his expertise... whether they deserved it or not.

You'd do well to pick your fights and choose your words more carefully... the man carries a lot of weight in the eyes of most members and there is a long history of very good reasons for that.

It is unbelievable to me that you took a story about an encounter that happened the better part of 30 years ago... that you were not present for and then made a leap of faith that you knew better and ran with it... insulting another member in the process.

If your brother is half as rash as you... I have no doubt that he was indeed the guy at the counter when Cat and his father went to that store.

I think you owe someone an appology.
I hope that you are the sort of standup guy that can manage that.
Old 05-23-2013, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pesky672 View Post

I think you owe someone an apology.
I hope that you are the sort of standup guy that can manage that.
Don't worry about the little stuff , pesky, I've been called worse by better people, and at the end of the day anything from this person would be less than sincere, I'm sure.
The fact of the matter is, those things did happen, and his retort about using a "real bow" made me laugh - it would matter not if he actually knew who Mike Fedora was or not, that was bar room trash talk ,that's all.

Cat
Old 05-23-2013, 02:51 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
Don't worry about the little stuff , pesky, I've been called worse by better people, and at the end of the day anything from this person would be less than sincere, I'm sure.
The fact of the matter is, those things did happen, and his retort about using a "real bow" made me laugh - it would matter not if he actually knew who Mike Fedora was or not, that was bar room trash talk ,that's all.

Cat
Cat.... you NEVER have to explain yourself to me.

Friends don't need it... enemies won't listen.

I know diddly about bows but was considering getting one.
I had a kiddy bow as a boy and enjoyed it... actually I was pretty good to.
Squirrels and barbie dolls feared me.....

I think a recurve might be more my style.

What sort of pull would I require... lbs wise and any suggestions on a good starter bow for an old fart that was just starting out?
Old 05-23-2013, 08:05 PM

I sure hope TeamAnzac has the stones to back himself up. My Granddad was AnZac wounded in Gallipoli sent to Glasgow to recuperate, married one of his nurses, stayed in Scotland and that's why I'm here. Dude , please don't disrespect the name, those young lads suffered hell.
Old 05-25-2013, 10:31 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by rem338win View Post
Oh no, the clerk gave you an honest answer? And thats facepalm worthy?

Are you trying to communicate?
You funny man I'm still laughing at your last statement
Old 05-25-2013, 10:49 PM

Overheard at WSS last week -- "What have you got in 308 ... just sold the one I used for shooting golf balls at 400yds" ...
Old 05-25-2013, 11:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 260 Rem View Post
Overheard at WSS last week -- "What have you got in 308 ... just sold the one I used for shooting golf balls at 400yds" ...
Should have told him about the challenges
Old 08-08-2013, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 260 Rem View Post
LOL....you should have smacked him in the ear for selling his laser beam

LC
Old 08-08-2013, 05:03 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
LOL....you should have smacked him in the ear for selling his laser beam

LC
Not only that, but I'd love to get some "wind and mirage reading" lessons from him. I typically get such claims like that from really old guys that bring me a gun for repair with live ammo in the chamber because their semi-auto's won't cycle anymore. Pffffttt. I don't know how these guys survived or managed to reproduce.