Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 04-25-2023, 10:47 AM

Default Open Water?

Anyone itching to get in open water? Wondering about lakes north of Edmonton for first ice off. Hoping to get the small boat out early season and do some fly fishing.
Cheers
Old 04-25-2023, 11:56 AM

Itching would be an understatement. I've repacked my boat 3 times already, repaired a ton of little things that were needed, serviced everything I can, completely re-rigged and organised fishing tackle, bought two new rods and reels, a stack more lures and still trying to find things to keep me busy.

And it's still THREE WEEKS until I can FISH! And that's only because I'm going to drive south for the earlier opening. Would have to wait a week longer at least to head North. Losing my mind a bit waiting.

There should be a few lakes open by May-long North of Edmonton. Open enough to fish in any event. LLB, Beaver Lake and Calling I'd think. LSL, Cold Lake and Winefred will probably need a little longer, although the shallow bays should work? Guess it all depends on what happens between now and then weather wise. I'm already checking the satellite imagery daily for who-knows what reason.

Going to have to head down to the North Sask this weekend and attempt some Sturgeon fishing to keep me sane I think.
Old 04-25-2023, 12:32 PM

Still too cold for the sturgeon but the whitefish and burbot will be biting well in the river.

"The problem was this little thing called the government and laws."
Old 04-25-2023, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapiti340 View Post
Anyone itching to get in open water? Wondering about lakes north of Edmonton for first ice off. Hoping to get the small boat out early season and do some fly fishing.
Cheers
No kidding hey! Sounds like we are all chomping at the bit. Nothing looks open yet based off the satellite images. A long...long... ice off this year and the ice was so thick and it really hasn't been that warm much yet up here in the Edmonton region. That said, based off the weather turn for the better coming, it seems likely that some smaller lakes (potholes) should be open for the weekend of 6-May. That is my best guess.
Old 04-25-2023, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZA Angler View Post
Itching would be an understatement. I've repacked my boat 3 times already, repaired a ton of little things that were needed, serviced everything I can, completely re-rigged and organised fishing tackle, bought two new rods and reels, a stack more lures and still trying to find things to keep me busy.

And it's still THREE WEEKS until I can FISH! And that's only because I'm going to drive south for the earlier opening. Would have to wait a week longer at least to head North. Losing my mind a bit waiting.

There should be a few lakes open by May-long North of Edmonton. Open enough to fish in any event. LLB, Beaver Lake and Calling I'd think. LSL, Cold Lake and Winefred will probably need a little longer, although the shallow bays should work? Guess it all depends on what happens between now and then weather wise. I'm already checking the satellite imagery daily for who-knows what reason.

Going to have to head down to the North Sask this weekend and attempt some Sturgeon fishing to keep me sane I think.
We got a surprise going to Calling a few years ago, didnt think to look at regs thought everywhere opened May long. Calling opens June 1. We ended up driving to Slave that year instead.
Old 04-25-2023, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNAPFisher View Post
No kidding hey! Sounds like we are all chomping at the bit. Nothing looks open yet based off the satellite images. A long...long... ice off this year and the ice was so thick and it really hasn't been that warm much yet up here in the Edmonton region. That said, based off the weather turn for the better coming, it seems likely that some smaller lakes (potholes) should be open for the weekend of 6-May. That is my best guess.
This weekend for sure in Edmonton area potholes! Yesterday caught my first 'bow of the open water season this year on a suspended Diawl Bach nymph.
Old 05-02-2023, 08:16 PM

Fish and wildlife has a handful of boats in the water right now at Lac ste Anne - looks they are test netting. They seem to be driving all I’ve the east side of the lake.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-03-2023, 06:06 AM

Could they be capturing walleye for the hatchery program? Lac Ste Anne seems to be the lake they take from.

Sent from my SM-A715W using Tapatalk