Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 02-14-2007, 09:35 AM
Roebag

Default Tip Up Rigging

All,

I've been using this green 60lb tip up line(rope) without a leader, but I often think the fish can see it and shy away. I'm thinking of changing to something else.
Someone also told me the other day to try laying my bait right on the bottom of the lake and the pike will come along and suck it up.

What hind of line are you using on you tip ups?

Are you using a leader?

Do you lay your bait on the bottom of the lake or do you have it suspended?
Old 02-14-2007, 11:12 AM
jrs

Default Pike

I use 20-50 lb dacron (black or green) and position my smelt 1 foot off the bottom of the weeds during the day and about 2-3 feet up evening and morning when their more active. I catch a lot of pike using these methods on the southern reservoirs. And generally, 6-8'' bait morning and evening, 4-6'' during day. Smelts or big suckers. Up to 12'' suckers if theres big pike around. (i use a steel leader, black or silver as well)
Old 02-14-2007, 12:39 PM
Moults

Default Line...

I like to use 25-30 lb fireline as a leader to the nylon line(rope). Not sure if they can see it or not, but haven't had one break off yet!

As far as laying it one the bottom, I would disagree. I had my bait on the bottom one time and was watching it on my aqua vu. A pike came along and tried to scoop it up but got a big mouthfull of mud, causing him to spit it out and carry on his merry way. Burbot like it on the bottom though.

Moults
Old 02-14-2007, 08:31 PM
Dewie

Default Re: Line...

When fishing big jack fish in southern alberta I use 100lb braded line and make my own leaders out of 80lb steel 120lb snap & swivel. It sounds like over kill but I have had lots of pike straighten the snap or snap the steel. and play around with the depths you have 2 lines to use.