Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

View Poll Results: Favorite type of Tip-Up!
#1 42 54.55%
#2 12 15.58%
#3 23 29.87%
Voters: 77. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-19-2007, 11:45 PM
lethalconnection

Default Favorite type of Tip-Up!

So i was checkin out some tip-ups on-line and thinkin of goin and purchasing some and i was just wondering what type of tip-ups you guys prefer and why.

Old 01-20-2007, 01:29 AM
perchfisher90

Your missing my favorite one by a longshot!! But out of those, id say 3 (but only on a warm day)

Old 01-20-2007, 02:05 AM
bacon grease

The ones with the flag UP!!

Gotta love 'flag fishing!" I use #1 model and varriations of it. Don't bother with #2 and like perchfisher said #3 isn't too bad but if it isn't warm they don't work right. Have seen guys pour a little achahol in the hole to help with freezing but never saw that it was a great deal of help.
Old 01-20-2007, 12:59 PM
Duffy4

I build my own. Hey maybe I'll write up an article for AO with plans and such. Better go out and do some field (ice) research and get some pics.

Robin in Rocky
Old 01-20-2007, 08:29 PM
upfishcreek

I use #2. I've had mine for upwards of 20 years. I've had to do some minor repairs.They still have the tin spools. When I bought them they cost about $2.00 each. I find when they freeze in the hole, the flag doesn't always trip. I only use mine for pike as they are spooled with 30lb braided line. Biggest pike landed + released to date was 26 lbs.
Old 01-22-2007, 12:39 AM
bigbore

i use option #1 and #2, but have LED/Sirens on them. dont really care for the windlass, but use a Battery powered Jig-Up tip up as well sometimes. I have yet to see perchfisher90 catch a fish on a windlass, lol
Old 01-22-2007, 01:49 AM
wind lass #1

Default wind lass #1

I use the windlass all the time unless it really cold then i will switch to the polart. Outfish the polar pretty much everytime out. Good old spinning reel and 6' rods work good for walleye.
Old 01-22-2007, 12:47 PM
stormy

anyone use jacktraps?? are they anygood??
Old 01-23-2007, 08:20 PM
jason28calgary

<BODY TEXT=FFFFFF BGCOLOR=000000 LINK=FFCC33 VLINK=0000FF ALINK=FFCC33>
[img]http://
http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t109/jason28calgary/B000309HJ2_01-A1SQJ55GUIVOGP__SS500.jpg[/img]
What a pain in the but to upload pics.... I lost my post but did get my pics to finally show up... I have had the frabill 10" pro thermal tip ups for over 5 years and they are awsome... never have to worry about freezing, hole stay open down to -25 atleast....there is a spot for a little led light to attach onto flag for nite fisting... works on same ides as a mercury switch.... ht also makes the other orange tip up i have posted here.... i own 2 and very similar to frabill's and very good .... these 2 tip ups both stack neatly in 5 gallon pails, can fit 5-6 in one pail.... the blue tip up ht makes as well is a good tip up but the dummy's made the shaft and spool to long to fit in a 5 gallon pail... 2 inches shorter would be great and alos not as insulated at the other to... all three cover hole completly preventing unatural daylight keeps environment as natural and non spooking as the open hole tips let unnatural beams of light....the insulated ones are 30 bucks and last one is 20 like i said have owned for over 5 years and never done a thing and they work flawlessly
Old 02-12-2007, 06:15 PM
lethalconnection

Yah jason i ended up buying two of those types of tip-ups and they work awesome, was able to catch my first fish on them yesterday i will upload the pics later on the fish i caught with them.
Old 02-13-2007, 12:28 AM
Mulestalker

Good old Jack traps, haven't used them since my Saskatchewan days,aren't they illegal in Ab? Caught many big pike using these with 100lb chalk line and big ole sucker minnow for bait