Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 07-18-2015, 12:14 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by randster View Post
Thanks for the info guy's. I'm still torn, I think a run about / fishing boat would be ideal to have along, (other than worrying about it while towing, stopping backing up) my boat will do up to 55 kms hr, house boat what 15, 20 kms hr? I may just hook my boat up before I leave.

Does any one know if Waterways has a launch available for there customer's?

Leaving on Sunday

The public launch is right under the highway bridge. Have a good trip!
Old 07-18-2015, 08:34 AM

Lyman lures on downriggers take lake trout. Any colour really seems to work well.favourite lure to use on the Shuswap. Another good choice is a 4" apex behind the agitator flasher or a coyote spoon.for lakers stick to 70-100+feet for the lures depending on where their marking. If that doesn't work try putting the lure 10 ft above the markings. I switch up the lure or depth every 20 mins if I am marking a lot of fish. Lyman's also take nice rainbows. Coyote spoons in blue Chrome, party girl, blue holographic. Rainbow and nickel/ orange stripe crocs do good at 20-60 ft deep.apexs are good in the cop car, watermelon, blue/Chrome, pink/prl Orange ect.In the summer time I like to use flashers quite a bit of the time during the summer because the fish are in a wide range of depths. Lure that's been on fire lately is the the pink Chrome coyote behind the pink holographic flasher at 60'. Caught an 8lb and a 5lb rainbow. last night on that set up. I have had the best luck lately dropping my lures down to 60' and 90' for rainbows. Deeper for lakers. If you don't have riggers use slip weights. Have a great trip guys and have fun. That lake is awesome to fish.
Old 07-18-2015, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backyardhunter3006 View Post
Lyman lures on downriggers take lake trout. Any colour really seems to work well.favourite lure to use on the Shuswap. Another good choice is a 4" apex behind the agitator flasher or a coyote spoon.for lakers stick to 70-100+feet for the lures depending on where their marking. If that doesn't work try putting the lure 10 ft above the markings. I switch up the lure or depth every 20 mins if I am marking a lot of fish. Lyman's also take nice rainbows. Coyote spoons in blue Chrome, party girl, blue holographic. Rainbow and nickel/ orange stripe crocs do good at 20-60 ft deep.apexs are good in the cop car, watermelon, blue/Chrome, pink/prl Orange ect.In the summer time I like to use flashers quite a bit of the time during the summer because the fish are in a wide range of depths. Lure that's been on fire lately is the the pink Chrome coyote behind the pink holographic flasher at 60'. Caught an 8lb and a 5lb rainbow. last night on that set up. I have had the best luck lately dropping my lures down to 60' and 90' for rainbows. Deeper for lakers. If you don't have riggers use slip weights. Have a great trip guys and have fun. That lake is awesome to fish.
Thanks for the tips.
Old 07-18-2015, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildwoods View Post
You can't launch launch at waterways I don't believe. You can launch in Sicamous at the narrows for free. You have to bring your boat man! It's no hassle at all having it trail behind. You simply jump in it when you beach at night and beach it separately. It's nice to have for quick runs to town and floating store. Nice to have for medical emergency. Nice to have to fish. Cheaper on fuel to run around in. No drawbacks at all bringing your boat.

Regarding the boat launch, I called Waterways house boat rentals, and they have a launch that you can use and a spot to leave your boat while checking in if you have a booking with them. Just can't tow through the channel. Otherwise they said you are welcome to tow a boat behind the house boat.
I am definitely bringing the boat. thanks for all the input, and tight lines guys.
Old 07-18-2015, 08:09 PM
Banned

Caught the smallest squawfish in da lake. Thats it. Time to catch a buzz now. Cheers :beer:
Old 07-18-2015, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joholio View Post
Caught the smallest squawfish in da lake. Thats it. Time to catch a buzz now. Cheers :beer:
So did you slay that fish or chuck it back? I can't bring myself to kill the darn things..,
Old 07-19-2015, 07:42 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildwoods View Post
So did you slay that fish or chuck it back? I can't bring myself to kill the darn things..,

Threw it back but now that I think of it we shoulda bonked it for the eagle that was fishing beside us. Purely for entertainment value hahaha
Old 07-19-2015, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Threw it back but now that I think of it we shoulda bonked it for the eagle that was fishing beside us. Purely for entertainment value hahaha
I don't think even an eagle would consume those stinky things!
Old 07-20-2015, 02:11 PM

First two days of fishing for me have been pretty decent.

Old 07-20-2015, 02:29 PM

Hey liarsenic that's awesome man. I see the ole Apex strikes again! How deep? What arm? Love the massive tail in pic #2
Old 07-20-2015, 07:29 PM

East side of Seymore arm, 80feet deep. Trolling around 2-3mph
Old 07-20-2015, 07:30 PM

And all on the 3" apex
Old 07-22-2015, 08:19 PM
Banned

Have you got a downrigger on the houseboat? Nice fishes, you bonk any and shore lunch or release them? I plan on getting back that way this weekend
Old 07-23-2015, 03:14 PM

No down rigger, just a "deep six" diver. And they all went back, bought tags but I just love watching them swim away too much I suppose.
Old 07-24-2015, 07:19 AM

Quote:

Spent the first 16yrs of my life a 10min bike ride from Shuswap lake, "sport" fishing to me is still a couple slices of bread or some KFC for bait and a hook sitting on either the Canoe or Salmonarm wharf pulling suckers out all day.... I've cought thousands.... Biggest being around 5-6lb...

.....you won't like me when I'm angry...
.....heck you probably won't like me even when I'm not
Old 07-24-2015, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liarsenic View Post
No down rigger, just a "deep six" diver. And they all went back, bought tags but I just love watching them swim away too much I suppose.
When you say 80 feet deep, were you in 80 FOW, or were you catching them at 80 feet? I'm just curious what size diver you were using. I'm going to be back out at Shuswap and Upper Arrow soon and had trouble getting deep enough last time.

Awesome fish.
Old 07-25-2015, 05:34 PM

pm on the way
Old 07-26-2015, 03:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liarsenic View Post
Good for you bro...I wrangled 15 or so fish in a couple of days behind a party boat on Shuswap a few years back, blew everyone's minds when I hauled them in then quickly let em go...wasn't quite touching the depths you were but all goodtimes!!
Old 08-08-2015, 07:04 PM

Early morning catch. 65' in a pink apex behind a pink hotspot flasher. Also had a couple koks spit the wedding band. I love fishing the big lakes. Heading out tomorrow am again.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (43.9 KB, 82 views)
Old 08-09-2015, 03:01 PM

Awesome!