Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 05-23-2011, 01:59 PM

Default De-Winterizing a non-winterized boat...ya ya, I know...

Due to my unexcused laziness, I failed to winterize our 2007 17 ft. Legend last year with it's 115 Merc Optimax. We took it out on Sunday, to do some fishing, and to make sure all is well with the boat for the summer. Put some Stabil in to hopefully maybe help out the old 1/3 of a tank that I failed to stabilize in the fall. Filled the tank up with new gas, and took it out to stretch its legs. Batteries were charged before hand, and it started up as if it hadn't been sitting at all. Let it warm up fully, before I slowly brought it to within normal operating range. Cruised the lake at 4 grand for a good 30 mins, with absolutely no problems, and same result with starting while warm etc. I will be changing out the leg oil, and checking the plugs, but other than that is there anything else you guys would recommend checking out or servicing? I was thinking about also maybe running a some Sea Foam through the tank as well. Also, in case it matters, I use Quicksilver oil. Not sure if it has any stabilizing properties. Any advice would be appreciated!

"Dry Hooks Don't Catch Fish"
Old 05-23-2011, 02:08 PM

If its running good and has fresh oil, is there anything else to worry about? I would just use her.
If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
Old 05-23-2011, 02:10 PM

My biggest worry was having the cooling impeller damaged with water freezing around it.

"Dry Hooks Don't Catch Fish"
Old 05-23-2011, 02:21 PM

Do those motors self drain when not in the water?
Old 05-23-2011, 02:23 PM

Default Boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stump thumper View Post
If its running good and has fresh oil, is there anything else to worry about? I would just use her.
If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
X2
charge the batts
armourall the shaft on the trolling motor
clean the boat
Ur good!
Old 05-23-2011, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJG View Post
X2
charge the batts
armourall the shaft on the trolling motor
clean the boat
Ur good!
x3
Old 05-23-2011, 04:05 PM

Im all about Winterizing as i give my boat the fog and stabilizer in the fall. But don`t sweat it too much. My cousins have this old Vanguard with an old Mariner 70 hp, and I swear they never Winterize it and never change the leg oil. After a few jokes every spring about this being the year the ol`family boat craps out, they mix some new gas in with the old and she fires up after a few shots of gas and some cranking. She smokes like hell for 10 minutes and then let the old girl loose. After an hour at high throttle across ol dief, that ol girl just runs like it was new. I don`t get it, they just figure that once they begin to baby the girl, it will be her demise.
Old 05-23-2011, 07:31 PM

Default While we are on this topic....

I am also getting the boat ready for the first time out. Question about the lower leg gearcase oil. Since I could not get my usual OMC gearcase oil I bought some Mercury high performance gear lube+. When I went to use it it said not to mix with anything else nor use it with OMC electric shift gearcases. I have a 1997 Johnson 115hp Ocean Runner engine. I don't think it is an electric shifter since I manually move the handle. Also, I drained the leg for well over an hour. I am pretty sure I can use this oil, correct? BEL
Old 05-24-2011, 06:10 PM

My family has used the same boat since my dad bought it new in 1992. Never been winterized, never had any serious maintenance and that old 100hp merc has seen a lot of time in the water. 2 strokes run till they die for the most part.