Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 05-17-2011, 07:41 AM

Default Inflatable Boats Mercury Vs Seamax

I'm getting close to pulling the trigger on buying an inflatable. We tow a travel trailer and have trikes we carry in the back of the pickup, but have room in the storage space below the trike deck to carry an inflatable.

I've narrowed my quest down to two; the Mercury 340 airdeck or a 360 Seamax sport. Might be pursuaded to go the a Seamax HD, but the sport seems most likely, to see the Seamax vendor later today. Both are sold in Alberta - I was looking at a SeaBright out of Nova Scotia but wondered about warranty work, NS is a long way from Alberta for repairs.

Both are PVC - Seamax has "Korean PVC" at 9 mm, Merc has "quality PVC" at 8.5 mm. The upside of the HD from Seamax is it goes to 1.2 mm, but the cost of that is only $100 less than the Merc, but still may go that way.

Pro's on the Mercury are the brand name "quality" and it has welded seams.

The Seamax is about $750 less so I could get boat and a top end electrical motor for less than just the Mercury. It also offers an aluminum floor. The cost of the Merc with aluminum floor is too much.

Both are new, but the Merc is old 2008 stock, still in the box. I do not expect that to be an issue, but who knows. I will want to ensure that has no effect on the five year warranty.

Seamax has five years on fabric but only 3 on the seams (hand glued).

The Seamax is about a foot longer than the Merc as well (12'5" vs 11'2").

We'd be using it to cruise rivers or lakes and take in a litttle fishing. I'm also looking at using it as a snorkling platform (maybe someday I'll graduate to scuba but not yet). Most of the time it will be just two to the boat but have capacity to take two others for a ride from time to time.

Anyone with experience with these boats?

Any advice about inflatables in general, this will be our first. We used to have a canoe and enjoyed that (square stern sportsman with the foam bumpers - remember those from years ago, unsinkable, and I've been in it, when it was full of water, and it did still "float".)
Old 05-17-2011, 10:56 AM

I have the Seamax 12.5' Ocean with aluminum floor, delivered for >$1300.

I've since rigged it with seats, rod holders, fish finder, GPS, elec troller and powered anchor, my 'Bow' boat. Outboard to follow. It will fit 3 fine, 2 fishing and 1 on oars. I think the quality rivals about any other and the price was the deciding factor. I can buy 3 of these for 1 Zodiak.

Good boat and very happy with it.
Old 05-17-2011, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by billie View Post
I have the Seamax 12.5' Ocean with aluminum floor, delivered for >$1300.

I've since rigged it with seats, rod holders, fish finder, GPS, elec troller and powered anchor, my 'Bow' boat. Outboard to follow. It will fit 3 fine, 2 fishing and 1 on oars. I think the quality rivals about any other and the price was the deciding factor. I can buy 3 of these for 1 Zodiak.

Good boat and very happy with it.

x2. My boat has been awsome and the customer service top notch. I got mine out of richmond bc and lawrence has been great to talk with and helped me pick the ocean 380 for my needs.
Old 05-17-2011, 05:31 PM

Just stay away from the Chinese manufactured boats and you should be fine. There are only 3 Korean plants I think and they manufacture boats for many different labels. I would recommend an aluminum floor for fishing and get the biggest boat you can afford and store/carry in your truck. The dimensions are a bit misleading because of the size of the tubes eat up a bunch of floor space.

Tim
Old 05-21-2011, 04:26 PM

Default Man Handling 12.5 Seamax

I'm definitely looking at the 12.5 Seamax. My concern is how heavy it is given I'll be one man manhandling it into the truck, my dearly beloved will help but at 4'11" & 110# she does not have much lift power. She thinks big is good, but will I be able to manage it by myself. It is weighing in at 200# - a bit of a lift. Now I understand that's in two sections but the floor can't weigh that much? It is aluminium.

Also with the purchase of the boat my capacity to buy a motor will be stretched - looked at electric, but at $360+battery ($100-$200) I'm wondering if I'm not further ahead with a little gas engine. Looks at a 2.5 hp Merc at the Bass Shop today ($800++). They do have one Merc inflatable a small 270 8'footer with air bottom clearing at $1600 - tempted but no, especially not when I saw the patch on the bottom.

Any advice on motors for a 12.5 Seamax inflatable airboat?

FKD
Old 05-21-2011, 05:08 PM

Depends on where you're gonna wanna fish. Remember there are quite a number of small lakes that don't allow anything but electric....and those are lakes best suited for the inflatable.
Old 05-25-2011, 05:41 AM

Default Seamax 380 It is

Picking up my new 12'5" Seamax inflatable on Friday. Gerry had one in a bag and my wife and I can easily manage the weight. She really liked the size - lots of room to lay out sun tanning - I have other ideas for the boat,

Now for a motor.

I was going to look at a small gasser (2.5 to 5 hp) but one of the things I'd like to do with the boat would be to go on the rivers, we are not so far from the North Sask. Gerry suggested I'd need a 9 hp at the very least before getting into a river. The 9 hp is just a little out of the budget this year. He suggested a 15 hp would be better choice. Even more out of the budget.

I'd like to hear what folks use on the river with an inflatable.

SO this year I'll stay on the lake with an electric trolling motor. The advice I hear is the Fishing Hole and go for the 55# thrust. (Which I understand at 16#/hp is about a 3.5 hp motor equivalent).

They sell two models of the Minn-kota, a Endura $289 or Traxxis at $419. The Traxxis is supposed to last longer and has a few extra nice features like a power gauge and tilting handle.

Any advice on these electrics? Or on the battery? The fishing hole has one they sell for $120 + a box for it ($15 plain, $50 fancy).

One dumb question for you inflated fisher-persons. Don't the hooks catch on the boat? Wife is very concerned that a sharpe hook in an inflatable boat is like smoking in a fireworks shop.
Old 05-25-2011, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fortkentdad View Post
One dumb question for you inflated fisher-persons. Don't the hooks catch on the boat? Wife is very concerned that a sharpe hook in an inflatable boat is like smoking in a fireworks shop.
Fair question but these are not your $200 plastic boat from Canadian Tire. The PVC is pretty durable and it would take quite an effort to push a hook through. They are 3 chambered so even if you do deflate a section, you don't have to "go down with the ship" (BTW, that is your job as captain if it comes to that).

You could have the same concern for a sharp rock and I've had mine over the shallows and dragging many times and no apparent ill effects. Common sense must prevail, they are not indestructable but pretty tough.

I'm sure you will be quite happy with it.
Old 05-25-2011, 09:55 AM

Fort

Send u a PM

Tags
inflatable, mercury, seamax