Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 10-25-2011, 11:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by horsetrader View Post
That still don't no prove that a person with an ultra light with a strike indicator cant provoke perch to bite it is just YOUR opinion.
Of course it can. But marmish system will do it way more efficient/better. See my previous post about Sundance fishing derby - those who caught 5-10 perch or nothing had UL, frabill, other light rods, cameras, flashers, and who knows what kind of equipment. I had rod you can see in the picture and got 90.
Seriously, there is no point in arguing here, lets meet on ice and have some fun
Old 10-26-2011, 06:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK47 View Post
The only way to compare is head to head on the same lake. I have never seen any other rods/systems beat proper marmish system when it comes to perch fishing... So lets wait for hard water and meet up for some friendly derby... maybe we will learn something new from each other?
And seeing bite is not the only thing in perch fishing... can you create proper vibrations to provoke perch bait on slow days with your UL and spring bobber - answer is no.
Last years Sundance perch fishing derby was perfect example... it was storm, cold and windy, perch bite was slow and average catch was 5-10 perch, despite that me and my friend using marmish rods ( I must admit we used original russian sportfishing palm rods which are a bit different then marmish sold here in Canada, but principle is the same ) and wolfram jigs easily won this with 90 and 45 - and we had no flashers or cameras. Not that I am some kind of expert but just had best fishing rod/jig combo ever invented for perch fishing. So please prove me wrong
So did you switch holes with the others?
Location location location.

Were the others experienced ice anglers?

Were all anglers using the same bait and jigs?

Old 10-26-2011, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntsfurfish View Post
So did you switch holes with the others?
Location location location.

Were the others experienced ice anglers?

Were all anglers using the same bait and jigs?

No, I was fishing alone in one magical hole on hockey rink, others were 5 year old kids and they all tried to catch perch on smelts and pike tip ups.
Seriously, why I am even wasting time here? The more of you will ignore marmish and think it is garbage the more perch will be left for me to catch.
Cheers.
Old 10-26-2011, 08:09 AM
Banned

As ive said before a high quality UL setup will do everything and more that these magical marmish will do. That being said, its 98% about your technique, location and lure.
Old 10-26-2011, 08:10 AM

I like my marmish
Old 10-26-2011, 08:14 AM
Banned

Quote:
Of course it can. But marmish system will do it way more efficient/better. See my previous post about Sundance fishing derby - those who caught 5-10 perch or nothing had UL, frabill, other light rods, cameras, flashers, and who knows what kind of equipment. I had rod you can see in the picture and got 90.
Seriously, there is no point in arguing here, lets meet on ice and have some fun
Your right there is no point in arguing and i don't dispute the fact that you caught more fish then the other people at sundance. what bothered me was the fact that you said "can you create proper vibrations to provoke perch bait on slow days with your UL and spring bobber - answer is no." I've fished perch , crappies and silvers all my life all finicky biters at times and seen many times where two people have fished 5ft apart and one catch like crazy and the other nothing Just to add there is quite a difference between the palm jigging rod you show and a true marmish rod. Lets hope we all enjoy a safe and happy ice season.
Old 10-26-2011, 08:41 AM

I've seen AK47 fish. It would be unwise to NOT listen to his advice. He is a machine...no matter where you put him. You can switch holes with him if you like and still get embarrassed. Some people are highly skilled in certain areas. AK47 is a perch whisperer. He's not bragging, just telling it like it is.
Old 10-26-2011, 08:46 AM

So there you have it, Jayhad. Some pro-Marmish, some adamantly opposed.

Try both and, if you have the opportunity, try to fish with AK47. He's an awesome sportsman and a really interesting guy.

(Sorry I brought you into the fray, AK. All Jayhad asked for was some advice on the Marmish. Had no idea it'd turn into such a pi$$ing match ... but that's my bad. Why would I expect otherwise?)

Deb
Old 10-26-2011, 08:51 AM

I really like them - I think of this rod as an "eye candy" version of the old type of rods the way they used to be made.
There is nothing too special about it, but it's well made. It is very light and spool construction eliminated "dropped loops" which required removing the spool on the versions in this kind of rods I've seen before. Indicators of this type are not new - but these ones work really good. They do have some drag - which is unusual for this type of rods and it really works on hook set.
I think it's just a lot of fun to fish with this rod and it brings my childhood memories back
As for landing fish - I had no problems with some decent size whites with this rod landing them by hand (unless I left the spool in "transport position" and broke line on hook set, which I did once). When bites are slow it's fun to see and feel how they inhale you hook:
http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/f...Fish_small.jpg
Old 10-26-2011, 08:54 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldscud View Post
I've seen AK47 fish. It would be unwise to NOT listen to his advice. He is a machine...no matter where you put him. You can switch holes with him if you like and still get embarrassed. Some people are highly skilled in certain areas. AK47 is a perch whisperer. He's not bragging, just telling it like it is.
Why would I feel embarrassed if some one out fished me rather a childish idea.
I fish for my enjoyment . just don't understand some people.
Old 10-26-2011, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deb View Post
Deb
Thanks Deb,
Like everything in fishing there's a right way and wrong way to do it..... and then there's the methods that catch fish. Typically you get told "that's wrong" by folks that have never tried said method, for me thier opinions go out with the dish water.

I'm a know-it-all with fly fishing, can't help it, but I never argue about equipment or techniques I've never tried.

I don't know yet if I'll buy a Marmish as I'm not really into perch, but I've never fished for them. I may have to get out this year to a perch lake and cut a hole.

Thank you all for you info
Old 10-26-2011, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayhad View Post

I'm a know-it-all with fly fishing, can't help it, but I never argue about equipment or techniques I've never tried.
Same here...I have never held fly fishing rod in my life so you will never see me arguing about it
Old 10-26-2011, 09:02 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deb View Post

Try both and, if you have the opportunity, try to fish with AK47. He's an awesome sportsman and a really interesting guy.

(Sorry I brought you into the fray, AK. All Jayhad asked for was some advice on the Marmish. Had no idea it'd turn into such a pi$$ing match ... but that's my bad. Why would I expect otherwise?)

Deb
I don't see why you figure this is a pi$$ing match men are able to disagree and give their opinions with out it being personal.

Why would I expect otherwise?)

A very telling statement
Old 10-26-2011, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeo2 View Post
As ive said before a high quality UL setup will do everything and more that these magical marmish will do.
Please, prove it. Lets make this happen. Lets meet on ice and fish instead of talking. I am dying to see better system then marmish for perch.
Old 10-26-2011, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by horsetrader View Post
Just to add there is quite a difference between the palm jigging rod you show and a true marmish rod. Lets hope we all enjoy a safe and happy ice season.
marmish rods sold here in Canada is comercial local version of true original russian sportfishing palm rods. They were developed by russian sportfishermen to win in ice fishing competitions ( to be light, fast and effective catching small fish ). You can make little adjustments when it comes to rod tips or strike indicators, I saw and tried numerous types and it is matter of taste what type you will use, but at the end of the day it needs to do two major things - transfer your hand movements to the jig and show strikes by the fish.

This is a nice palm rod and strike indicator for beginners, cheaper then orginal marmish and I like it better. This website has great jigs for perch as well.
http://www.yourbobbersdown.com/palmrods.html
Old 10-26-2011, 09:18 AM

There is nothing magical about them besides overhyped marketing strategy (because it's overpriced?).
Try googling удочка балалайка and look at the images - you'll see a lot of similar rods.
This is a simple and old concept, but it's the best realization of it improved where it counts and built really well.

Last edited by ak-71; 10-26-2011 at 09:24 AM.
Old 10-26-2011, 09:38 AM

Just a few more links for "magical properties" and price thoughts:
As sold in Russia
http://www.superfisher.ru/udochka-zi...ezosevaja.html
430rub ~15 USD (The highes price I could quickly find)

I think it's where they make them (at least in Russia):
http://www.pirs67.ru/index2.html

Picture from the site above (production catalog):

I do think that marketing is a bit fishy - but it is a very good rod, I have 2 for me and my son even though I think it is overpriced.

It's funny, but Russian site has an article about "counterfit" versions of this rod . Must be a popular rod there

Last edited by ak-71; 10-26-2011 at 09:55 AM.
Old 10-26-2011, 10:32 AM

Sorry to infer that YOU would be embarrassed Horsetrader....I personally feel embarrassed by my comparative lack of perch skill. That is my own immature feeling, not something I should have suggested to others. I thought I was doing great catching lots of fish until watching some masters get the job done. I'm just an angling student open to better ideas. Have fun out there and I hope you find great satisfaction with your days on the ice.
Old 10-26-2011, 01:43 PM

sorry deb if you think what i have to say is malarkey. i have an opinion and so do you. i also catch lots of humpies every year, and frankly could care less to hook into anything small that i can't run a decent fillet off.

i've fished for perch thru the ice for as long as i've fished. i've used different variations of the rod in question. i don't like them. my opinion. i started ice fishing with a stix and a line as many of us did. moved into cheap plastic normark rods with the built in jiggin trigger (some of you would possibly go nuts to use one of them yet today) and moved into various rod and reel combos. there's no doubt there is a skill needed to consistently catch good perch no different than consistently catching any fish. i can detect line movement on the rods i use whether it be upward or downward just fine. i learned what to look for and how to present the lures and bait to the fish over the years by watching thru a camera, using a flasher and just lots of hardcore fishing. as far as the magic action only available to the marmish angler or system i'll tap the butt of my rod, spin or twitch the line with my finger etc. whatever it takes to entice the fish to strike. no need for special plastic gizmos. just the know of what the fish want to see and knowing how to execute it.

bottom line. those who like the rods, have at it and yes you'll catch fish. but, don't think this is the best and only way to fish panfish. realize that experienced, knowledgeable anglers with a GOOD UL set-up (some like a spring bobber attached) can and will do very well also.

one more thing. comparing anglers and their perch fishing skills on a community lake cull fish is silly. the majority of people at these events have never caught a perch through the ice. period. what do you expect?

p.s. i would have to say the marmish jigs are one of my go to all time favorite big perch fishing hooks.

Dace
Old 10-26-2011, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daceminnow View Post
comparing anglers and their perch fishing skills on a community lake cull fish is silly. the majority of people at these events have never caught a perch through the ice. period. what do you expect?
So you saying you coulda won it easily? ROFL.
Old 10-26-2011, 03:59 PM

I was very humbled watching AK47 at Sundance, there were lots of hard water fishermen there along with Sundancefisher and AK really outfished the local guy. Next time out at Sundance, I definitely want to learn from AK the ways of the Marmish.
Old 10-26-2011, 04:06 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldscud View Post
Sorry to infer that YOU would be embarrassed Horsetrader....I personally feel embarrassed by my comparative lack of perch skill. That is my own immature feeling, not something I should have suggested to others. I thought I was doing great catching lots of fish until watching some masters get the job done. I'm just an angling student open to better ideas. Have fun out there and I hope you find great satisfaction with your days on the ice.
There's no reason to feel embarrassed about your fishing it for your enjoyment so have fun everyday your out there. perhaps my statement was a bit harsh for this I apologize. Have a great hard water season.
Old 10-26-2011, 04:06 PM

Quote:
This is a nice palm rod and strike indicator for beginners, cheaper then orginal marmish and I like it better. This website has great jigs for perch as well.
http://www.yourbobbersdown.com/palmrods.html
I used those in Finland this year and I really should have brought back a few. They felt a lot better built than the Marmish ones and I like the replaceable and interchangeable indicators.
Old 10-26-2011, 05:30 PM

[QUOTE=AK47;1132952
The more of you will ignore marmish and think it is garbage the more perch will be left for me to catch.
Cheers.[/QUOTE]

And for me too!!!!:sHa_shakes hout:
Old 10-26-2011, 08:16 PM

Default Lithuanian Perch Assassins

Yes AK47 and the Lithuanian Perch Assassins did show us a new way to get perch and we did not catch as many as they did...But I have a source that has proof that the Assassins were taking a fishing enhancement substance (FES)...

On a serious note, I broke my Marmish Sunday fishing with Sundancefisher...We found a school of perch so I brought out the Marmish and it was working great...Then on a nibble I set the hook, it happened to be one of those huge triploid trout that are left in the lake...There was a loud snap followed by @&#!

Old 10-26-2011, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badback View Post

Then on a nibble I set the hook, it happened to be one of those huge triploid trout that are left in the lake...There was a loud snap followed by @&#!

Did you have spool locked or you just had a really strong grip on it? I'd expect it spool or break line before it snaps. Unusual
Old 10-26-2011, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ak-71 View Post
Did you have spool locked or you just had a really strong grip on it? I'd expect it spool or break line before it snaps. Unusual

I had the spool locked....
Old 10-27-2011, 12:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daceminnow View Post
sorry deb if you think what i have to say is malarkey. i have an opinion and so do you. i also catch lots of humpies every year, and frankly could care less to hook into anything small that i can't run a decent fillet off.

i've fished for perch thru the ice for as long as i've fished. i've used different variations of the rod in question. i don't like them. my opinion. i started ice fishing with a stix and a line as many of us did. moved into cheap plastic normark rods with the built in jiggin trigger (some of you would possibly go nuts to use one of them yet today) and moved into various rod and reel combos. there's no doubt there is a skill needed to consistently catch good perch no different than consistently catching any fish. i can detect line movement on the rods i use whether it be upward or downward just fine. i learned what to look for and how to present the lures and bait to the fish over the years by watching thru a camera, using a flasher and just lots of hardcore fishing. as far as the magic action only available to the marmish angler or system i'll tap the butt of my rod, spin or twitch the line with my finger etc. whatever it takes to entice the fish to strike. no need for special plastic gizmos. just the know of what the fish want to see and knowing how to execute it.

bottom line. those who like the rods, have at it and yes you'll catch fish. but, don't think this is the best and only way to fish panfish. realize that experienced, knowledgeable anglers with a GOOD UL set-up (some like a spring bobber attached) can and will do very well also.

one more thing. comparing anglers and their perch fishing skills on a community lake cull fish is silly. the majority of people at these events have never caught a perch through the ice. period. what do you expect?

p.s. i would have to say the marmish jigs are one of my go to all time favorite big perch fishing hooks.

Dace
X2! Could not of said things better myself! Spring bobbers are one of my favorites and are highly under used by ice anglers today. I have some Marmish, and I have the lightest tips you can find on an ice rod with silky smooth drags. I always have a few marmish in my pocket for quick lure changes or a super finicky fish @ a hole. My fave rod is a 27" Frabill Bro series quick tip and if a fish breathes on it, I got them. 2 lb mono, or 1 lb diameter braid with a flouro lead, and you are good to go.

Chris K
Old 10-27-2011, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badback View Post
I had the spool locked....
Sorry for your rod...
I lost my first whitefish on it this way, but I broke the line. Was still settling in a tent when I had a bite, don't know what I even locked it for - seemed safer. Now I just keep it ulocked at all times, but when not in use.
Old 10-27-2011, 11:10 AM

Quote:
AK47 is lying...he was skunked.