Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 10-21-2017, 11:45 AM

Default fishfinders

Hi all, i bought a boat this year, it came with a hook 4x fish finder, that I'm fairly disappointed with. Boat didn't come with a speedo, but i have to be going very slow to get any depth readings, and even slower to mark fish. just wondering if it might be set up wrong, or if i need to upgrade units. I know this unit is very much so an entry level unit so i wouldn't mind getting something a bit better, with gps capability.

If upgrading, other than installing a "wheel" and some wiring how hard is it to have something the registers speed?

Ill be fishing the "deep lakes" around yellowknife NWT of the next couple seasons and then bring it back to alberta.

Thx for your help.
Old 10-21-2017, 01:17 PM

Get a unit with gps. Will give you a ground speed. Even when drifting sideways,

made in Alberta__ born n raised.

FS-Tinfool hats by the roll.
Old 10-21-2017, 02:32 PM

Just buy a decent fish finder with GPS Hummingbird elete 5 are not expensive and easy to install. 4 to 500 and you are in business.
Old 10-21-2017, 02:38 PM

If you have to be going slow to get depth readings your transducer may not be set up right and is getting interrupted water flow (turbulent and/or air bubbles) or the angle is wrong and it is tilted to far forwards, backwards or off to one side.

As far as marking fish you pretty much have to be going at an idle to see all the fish and the faster you go the less you will pick up.
Old 10-21-2017, 04:54 PM

Let me now if you want to sell it . I just need one for dept
Old 10-23-2017, 11:36 PM

Sounds like your transducer isn’t mounted right. The X on that unit means no gps so no speed. Most speedos aren’t that accurate anyways so gps is way more accurate.

A Lowrance Elite Ti 5 or 7 are great units. Come with a $400 TotalScan transducer and gives you 4 frequencies. 83/200 for regular 2d and 455/800 for structure scan. You’ll get both down and side imaging, a touch screen, great mapping and a responsible piece on the units.

I run Carbons on mine and fish Cold Lake a lot after tournament season ends and I get bottom marking in 200’ of water doing 40mph. It’s all about the mount job.

PM me if you want my number or email and send me a few pictures from behind your boat and from the side and I’ll tell you how it’s mounted.