Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 05-13-2011, 08:50 AM

Post Does anyone know where to fish near Edmonton or Sherwood Park?

Moved from calgary and have no idea where to fish near Edmonton. Any info would be very appreciated.
I do not have a boat and use a spin cast rod.

I made a list of lakes near me. Are any of them worth trying?

Ashland lake
Brodick Lake
Cardiff park
Chickakoo lake
Coal lake South
East pit lake
Jack Fish lake
Lac St. Anne
Lamont pond
Muir
wabbmin
Wizard Lake

Thanks
Old 05-13-2011, 08:57 AM

Cool

First of all, make sure you pick up a fishing license and regs book. lots of those lakes don't open until may 20th.

As far as which are worth fishing, I would say all of them are a worth a shot. It really depends on what species and size of fish you want.
Old 05-13-2011, 10:37 AM

Lamont pond is very hard to fish. Rather mature deep pond with lots of natural food its pretty hard to entice one of those rainbows.
Old 05-13-2011, 03:19 PM

I see you are in sherwood park and are willing t drive across edmonton foe your fishing needs.a couple of closer suggestions would be the river or even hermitage park just north of the yellowhead off of victoria trail. you can actually park at hermitage and fish the pond and the river from there . i think it winterkilled ,but when it is stocked it is pretty good. beaumont pond i hear is good as well. when you do check out cardiff you may want to stop at the morinville res as well.and if you are in st. alberta you can go to lacombe park for some rainbows and carp (koi) if they survived. if you go to chickakoo ,sauer lake is right there as well and is worthy of getting your line wet. sorry for the lack of capitals and proper paragraphs ,but i am using my phone an have no idea how to use it. east pit is pretty good from what i hear,but it is also a little far out there. if you only have a couple of hours to fish you should be ok at hermitage, beaumont or the river. if you have lots of time try to hit up a few lakes that are close to each other,maybe start at eastpit and work your way back to sauer,chickakoo,muir lacombe morinville,cardiff,hermitage,nsr. i hope that helps you.
Old 05-13-2011, 03:53 PM

I did the oppisite as you came from edmonton to calgary. When i lived up there i went to Jackfish lake alot. But there was no development at the time. The river has always been good to me.
Old 05-13-2011, 03:54 PM

I work till 5 n head to hermitage till 930 havent been skunked yet (knock n wood lol)
Old 05-13-2011, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by linemanpete View Post
Lamont pond is very hard to fish. Rather mature deep pond with lots of natural food its pretty hard to entice one of those rainbows.
Im curious if it suffered winterkill as well. Do you know?
Old 05-13-2011, 05:39 PM

Wizard Lake is a lot of fun. Best with a boat or pontoon boat in the shallows though. Tons of smaller Jacks and the odd Ling. Hasse has some decent fishing for Rainbows and Jacks. Chicakoo has tons of tiny trout.
Old 05-13-2011, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFishHunter View Post
Wizard Lake is a lot of fun. Best with a boat or pontoon boat in the shallows though. Tons of smaller Jacks and the odd Ling. Hasse has some decent fishing for Rainbows and Jacks. Chicakoo has tons of tiny trout.
Hasse winterkilled. I tried it ut last Friday and nothing there plus lots of people saw dead fish with cameras through the ice.

Any of the stocked ponds will be good for 6" trout. Wabamun is always good. If you dont have a boat you can shore fish from the end of the canels just west of town.
Old 05-13-2011, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFishHunter View Post
Wizard Lake is a lot of fun. Best with a boat or pontoon boat in the shallows though. Tons of smaller Jacks and the odd Ling.
I will second this. you will never get skunked at that lake. but dont be looking for keepers. for one there is not many big ones in there, and 2. almost every fish over 18" has a skin infection. I do well on burbot though.
Old 05-13-2011, 11:24 PM

You don't know that has lake has winterkilled just because you catch nothing. At Tfh , they told me that fish and wildlife checked the lake awhile ago and it was fine
Old 05-14-2011, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thundercatcher View Post
You don't know that has lake has winterkilled just because you catch nothing. At Tfh , they told me that fish and wildlife checked the lake awhile ago and it was fine
wizard lake?
Old 05-14-2011, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Do you mean Hasse?
Old 05-14-2011, 09:56 AM

I fished Hasse from a boat and nothing marked on the sonar either. Went out by the island where last year 10 fish chased your hook every cast, this year, nothing. There were dead fish around shore too. It may not be 100% dead but I won't be wasting my time there any more. Theres other places to go for pinky length perch. The trout are almost done there as well.
Old 05-14-2011, 01:25 PM

I love Hasse though because you can sit on the dock and catch quit a few perch, small but still fun to catch. Its close to me as I live in Spruce Grove. Know any lakes close by that you can catch perch from shore , or one that has a dock?
Old 05-14-2011, 01:41 PM

The canals at wab are good shore fishing. Nay not get perch but there are pike there. Once stocked you can get Brook trout at Chickakoo. Star is supposed to be good from shore as well.

Can't think of any good perch shorefishing lakes though. The was Morrinville but rumor has it that it killed as well.
Old 05-14-2011, 02:16 PM

how do u get to the Canals at Wab?
Old 05-14-2011, 03:34 PM

Look up on google maps. They are just west of town off of the main lake drive. There is on on either side of the powerplant. I've seen lots of people catch fish on the one further west. Take the SV of Point Allison turn and park in the open field just after the train tracks. It's a bit of a hike but worth it.

Also, not open until Friday May 20.
Old 05-14-2011, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skitson View Post
Moved from calgary and have no idea where to fish near Edmonton. Any info would be very appreciated.

Ashland lake
Brodick Lake
Cardiff park
Chickakoo lake
Coal lake South
East pit lake
Jack Fish lake
Lac St. Anne
Lamont pond
Muir
wabbmin
Wizard Lake

Thanks
You cannot go wrong with Pigeon lake , go sit on a picnic table at the provinchal park boat launch , and use bobber , jig and minnow . Ive had 400 + fish days there with my old buddy , Redneck posse . Its nice there to , and in the evening useually its fish and fish and fish and fish after fish . Early mornin and evenings are best times there . But if its overcast theyll bite all day long .
Old 05-14-2011, 06:04 PM

Cool what kind of fish
Old 05-14-2011, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Cool what kind of fish
Walleye mostly in pigeon. But theres the odd pike and burbot. Also some whites in there but its hard to catch them in the summer.
Old 05-14-2011, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skitson View Post

Ashland lake
Brodick Lake
Cardiff park
Chickakoo lake
Coal lake South
East pit lake
Jack Fish lake
Lac St. Anne
Lamont pond
Muir
wabbmin
Wizard Lake

Thanks
EAST PIT LAKE is open all year long...really good trout fishing..
Old 08-10-2016, 12:42 PM

Are these lake walk able , just sections we could get to to fish from shore?

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Old 08-10-2016, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dak1138 View Post
I see you are in sherwood park and are willing t drive across edmonton foe your fishing needs.a couple of closer suggestions would be the river or even hermitage park just north of the yellowhead off of victoria trail. you can actually park at hermitage and fish the pond and the river from there . i think it winterkilled ,but when it is stocked it is pretty good. beaumont pond i hear is good as well. when you do check out cardiff you may want to stop at the morinville res as well.and if you are in st. alberta you can go to lacombe park for some rainbows and carp (koi) if they survived. if you go to chickakoo ,sauer lake is right there as well and is worthy of getting your line wet. sorry for the lack of capitals and proper paragraphs ,but i am using my phone an have no idea how to use it. east pit is pretty good from what i hear,but it is also a little far out there. if you only have a couple of hours to fish you should be ok at hermitage, beaumont or the river. if you have lots of time try to hit up a few lakes that are close to each other,maybe start at eastpit and work your way back to sauer,chickakoo,muir lacombe morinville,cardiff,hermitage,nsr. i hope that helps you.
Thanks for the great response. My husband and I are new to alberta fishing as well want to try some after he is back from Suffield at end of the month. We no longer have a boat so these are great ideas to try.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

Tags
edmonton