Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 06-13-2014, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the11fisherman View Post
Believe it our not little buddy, but a whole lot of fishable river is to be found below the Bassano Dam......... a whole lot. Where you leave the little world of trout, whitefish, and other fishes (Which are great fun to catch) and enter the world of pike, walleye, sauger, Sturgeon, Redhorse Suckers, Carp, Mooneye, Goldeye, and more.

Same story on the Oldman.

Read Regulations and realise that there is more to the world of fishing then the little world you may find yourself in.
I did read the regs and I was correct in what I said, my memory was even correct. There is only one section of the river that is open to bait fishing, little buddy. And that is below the Bassano Dam. And I never commented on the old man because I have no knowledge of it. My mistake was that I didnt realise how much water was below the dam to the SSR, and for that I apologise and now I know.
Old 06-13-2014, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by diamonddave View Post
I did read the regs and I was correct in what I said, my memory was even correct. There is only one section of the river that is open to bait fishing, little buddy. And that is below the Bassano Dam. And I never commented on the old man because I have no knowledge of it. My mistake was that I didnt realise how much water was below the dam to the SSR, and for that I apologise and now I know.
Just though that I would let you know that the fishing areas in Alberta are bigger than most of us realise.
Old 06-13-2014, 12:27 PM

Are there any good ponds to fish for carp around here?

Been trying to find one...fun fighting fish...

Rainbow - 7
Brown - 1
Old 06-13-2014, 12:49 PM

Default Carp in Southern AB

I usually see a school of them every time I go to Crawling Valley not too far from the boat launch. I've only caught a handful of carp in my life on a line, so I know they can be difficult to catch. I've never tried to fish the ones in Crawling Valley, has anyone?
Old 06-13-2014, 01:58 PM

So I guess the question is where on the Bow did you pick them up? It sounds like traffic noise in the background...I don't care what you used to catch them just how far up the river are they!!
Old 06-13-2014, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moefoe View Post
So I guess the question is where on the Bow did you pick them up? It sounds like traffic noise in the background...I don't care what you used to catch them just how far up the river are they!!
A few miles up from the Forks
Old 06-14-2014, 12:10 AM

Quote:
A few miles up from the Forks
Lol why such a secret you do realize this species will dominate and take hold and you sir holding back just may be the difference between hear say and reality And actually make a difference, coy roy lol Mabey haha your not that good but prove me wrong.haha a few miles hay that really narrowes it down for guys that want to catch and kill to make a difference but thanks for the 3 mile radios and good luck to all,lol
Old 06-14-2014, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Secret coulee View Post
Lol why such a secret you do realize this species will dominate and take hold and you sir holding back just may be the difference between hear say and reality And actually make a difference, coy roy lol Mabey haha your not that good but prove me wrong.haha a few miles hay that really narrowes it down for guys that want to catch and kill to make a difference but thanks for the 3 mile radios and good luck to all,lol
I would assume the reason he is giving such a large area for location is not trying to hide where he is catching carp but instead the other species he is targeting.

Just a guess that these carp were found well trying to catch other species
Old 06-14-2014, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Secret coulee View Post
I have to agree with you. I have spent almost every weekend on that part of the rivers for the last 3 years I have never seen schools of fish with there dorsal fin out of the water. But until someone I know or myself catch one in the river or have better video where your at, I'm skeptical.
Old 06-14-2014, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J D View Post
I would assume the reason he is giving such a large area for location is not trying to hide where he is catching carp but instead the other species he is targeting.

Just a guess that these carp were found well trying to catch other species
Bingo in a slight degree, plus I have caught them all along that stretch of river as I have done a few floats later in the season. There is no real secret to location I have found when fishing for Prussian Carp. They are a schooling fish and either they are there or they aren't. Just like any fish, if the water is not deep enough for them to swim in while submerged, then you see the dorsal fin to answer some other individuals remarks. Haven't you ever seen red horse doing this in the river?
Old 06-14-2014, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dago View Post
I have to agree with you. I have spent almost every weekend on that part of the rivers for the last 3 years I have never seen schools of fish with there dorsal fin out of the water. But until someone I know or myself catch one in the river or have better video where your at, I'm skeptical.
Good luck bud, not giving away my fishing grounds. I'm skeptical of you because I spend most weekends out there either off shore or out of a boat and only about half the time do I see another boat come up the Bow River or down. Unless you have huge flood lights on your boat so you can continue fishing from 4:00pm-1am then I doubt you are up there.
Old 06-14-2014, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Just ask your local fisheries biologist. They are now in the Lower Bow/Lower Oldman rivers.

"to identify very rare, scarce or special forms of fish and wildlife outdoor recreation opportunities and to ensure that access to these opportunities continues to be available to all Albertans."
Old 06-14-2014, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by walking buffalo View Post
Just ask your local fisheries biologist. They are now in the Lower Bow/Lower Oldman rivers.
Then I will expect to catch one .
Old 06-14-2014, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Good luck bud, not giving away my fishing grounds. I'm skeptical of you because I spend most weekends out there either off shore or out of a boat and only about half the time do I see another boat come up the Bow River or down. Unless you have huge flood lights on your boat so you can continue fishing from 4:00pm-1am then I doubt you are up there.
I don't need to know your secret spot. If that video is true there's only one spillway that dumps into the river. It's no secret.
Old 06-14-2014, 03:35 PM

Quote:
I don't need to know your secret spot. If that video is true there's only one spillway that dumps into the river. It's no secret.
Actually along with the larger one (The one that you are talking about likely) there are many other smaller ones that at some times flow harder (depending on how much water the farmers are using) which do have smaller concrete structures and have better fishing than the one that you are talking about, but most are harder to access.
Old 06-14-2014, 03:38 PM

Quote:
If you've been fishing the right way, right location, and know what you are doing, you should have already caught one.

Sorry if it sounds like I am trying to bully you, I'm not......... but you just seem gung-ho to try to disprove everything and anything that is said by others.............

Last edited by the11fisherman; 06-14-2014 at 03:41 PM. Reason: Felt Like I was bullying the dude
Old 06-14-2014, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Actually along with the larger one (The one that you are talking about likely) there are many other smaller ones that at some times flow harder (depending on how much water the farmers are using) which do have smaller concrete structures and have better fishing than the one that you are talking about, but most are harder to access.
Not sure who your trying to BS. I grew up in that area and have been over every sq. inch of land along the Bow from Bow City to the forks. Many times over 40 years.There is only one cement structure that dumps into the river. There are a few ditches that run into the river but that's all.
Old 06-14-2014, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Not sure who your trying to BS. I grew up in that area and have been over every sq. inch of land along the Bow from Bow City to the forks. Many times over 40 years.There is only one cement structure that dumps into the river. There are a few ditches that run into the river but that's all.
Sorry I forgot to classify not necessarily drop structures right into river. But man, fish swim up the drains that go into the river. I fish 3 regularly where I go to the first drop structure where the fish cannot go up the drain anymore, thus being a great fishing spot. Not sure why you think this is at a drain or spillway though......I never said it was.
Old 06-14-2014, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Sorry I forgot to classify not necessarily drop structures right into river. But man, fish swim up the drains that go into the river. I fish 3 regularly where I go to the first drop structure where the fish cannot go up the drain anymore, thus being a great fishing spot. Not sure why you think this is at a drain or spillway though......I never said it was.
If you are thinking that the sound in the background is flowing water, it is just wind. You can hear similar interference in lots of my videos such as weird icefishing, mutated trout, meadowlark singing, and more. It is the wind interfering with my microphone because I am not using a set where the mic is separate from my camera, thus the wind always interferes with it.
Old 06-15-2014, 08:54 AM

Quote:

Too many people in this day in age cannot figure out how to look up info or use a phone, but everybody has a device attached to them like a plague. Make a call to F&W in the area and ask about them, but then again you might not know them, and be skeptical of the info they provide.
Old 06-16-2014, 06:31 AM

Quote:
I'm sure you eventually will. But you might need to adjust your tackle first. These carp tend to take very small baits.

From Trout Unlimited.

Prussian carp and goldfish, which look similar and have nearly identical genetic makeup, have been located in the Bow River and in rivers throughout southern Alberta.

Read more: http://calgary.ctvnews.ca/goldfish-a...#ixzz34nz3X8MC

"to identify very rare, scarce or special forms of fish and wildlife outdoor recreation opportunities and to ensure that access to these opportunities continues to be available to all Albertans."

Last edited by walking buffalo; 06-16-2014 at 06:38 AM.
Old 06-24-2014, 05:41 PM

try nicholas sharen park pond