Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 11-23-2017, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinMoose View Post
I won't miss WSS. Their prices were not competitive. Even now with a liquidation their prices are still not any better than Cabelas. I only hope Cabelas doesn't abuse this after WSS is gone...
Competition has always been good for the consumer. You might actually miss them without realizing it.
Old 11-23-2017, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott N View Post
Competition has always been good for the consumer. You might actually miss them without realizing it.
No doubt Competition is great for Consumer pricing / Service . However there have been many Outdoor / Firearm retailers Out in Eastern Canada that have done a great job at taking up the slack . Just look at some of Black Friday deals online . My attitude is compete or get out . Who doesn’t check online prices prior to a large purchase nowadays. Wholesale was hit or miss for Customer Service , and I thought their pricing was fair for the most part . I do however feel empathetic for the Staff that have been effected .
Old 11-23-2017, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redcoat01 View Post
No doubt Competition is great for Consumer pricing / Service . However there have been many Outdoor / Firearm retailers Out in Eastern Canada that have done a great job at taking up the slack . Just look at some of Black Friday deals online . My attitude is compete or get out . Who doesn’t check online prices prior to a large purchase nowadays. Wholesale was hit or miss for Customer Service , and I thought their pricing was fair for the most part . I do however feel empathetic for the Staff that have been effected .
I agree with you, it seems that "mail order" is really taking off lately. Best deal I've got lately was from Tenda. I do like to look at things before I buy though, so one step forward, one step back lol. Personally I never found the service at WS in Calgary all that bad, with a few exceptions, and I'm a pretty long term customer. I never had to use them for mail order, and as a walk in customer, I usually knew what I wanted and didn't need help, other than to fetch ammo or write up a few firearms sales. I've certainly heard the bad service stories though. You're right about the staff, it's too bad that they are looking for new jobs.
Old 11-23-2017, 11:08 PM

Fish finders are 40% off and lures are 50% off.
Old 11-23-2017, 11:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newview01 View Post
I heard that firearms will never be more than 10% off.
was there about a week ago. Some were 15% off.

Does anyone know if the the guns are any lower? Or if Camo (Sitka) is less then 25% off now?
Old 11-24-2017, 03:06 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayquiver View Post
was there about a week ago. Some were 15% off.

Does anyone know if the the guns are any lower? Or if Camo (Sitka) is less then 25% off now?
Yes some guns are 25% off, and all camo is 30% off.
Old 11-24-2017, 09:27 AM

Default edgemont forsale

I know competition is good, but I didn't see that with WSS. Even now when Cabelas knows they will be the only game in town, they are still offering better deals than WSS who is going out of business! There's a reason WSS is closing their doors.
Old 11-24-2017, 06:39 PM
Banned

If anyone is looking for 7wsm ammo Northside Edmonton WSS has tons. I know people have asked before looking for some inn the past
Old 11-24-2017, 07:34 PM

The Black Friday sale on through Sunday is 10% off already discounted prices - guns and ammo excluded. (Calgary)

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk
Old 11-25-2017, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by play.soccer View Post
If anyone is looking for 7wsm ammo Northside Edmonton WSS has tons. I know people have asked before looking for some inn the past
When I was in yesterday I noticed that Calgary as well had a good supply of 7 mm WSM.
Old 11-25-2017, 11:55 AM

For those shopping the close out fiasco, please remember that the cashiers have no say in pricing etc. No point in heaping a bunch of crude and angry comments on them.
Old 11-25-2017, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinMoose View Post
I know competition is good, but I didn't see that with WSS. Even now when Cabelas knows they will be the only game in town, they are still offering better deals than WSS who is going out of business! There's a reason WSS is closing their doors.
Lol...

WSS is trying to recover as much inventory value as possible. They aren't going to try to compete with short sales elsewhere unless absolutely necessary to get rid of their product before closing their doors.

WSS has already sold off most of their good gear and did so at minimal discounts. Pretty clear the liquidators running the sale know what they are doing...

And as others mentioned don't get mad at the staff for pricing(even the previously discontinued products now priced higher then they were). The entire sale is being managed by a 3rd party liquidator and the staff have absolutely no say in pricing.
Old 11-25-2017, 03:58 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by covey ridge View Post
for those shopping the close out fiasco, please remember that the cashiers have no say in pricing etc. No point in heaping a bunch of crude and angry comments on them.
x 258974 !!!
Old 11-25-2017, 04:09 PM

I did see a set of vortex razor binos for 1299. Not a bad deal for high end vortex stuff.
Old 11-25-2017, 04:36 PM

I was at the Calgary store on Thursday. Guns at 25% off. When they hit 30% off, I'm gonna pull the trigger. Someone might beat me to it, but it's all part of the fun in a Dutch auction.

It's still ok to say Dutch auction, isn't it?
Old 11-25-2017, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavYak View Post
Lol...

WSS is trying to recover as much inventory value as possible. They aren't going to try to compete with short sales elsewhere unless absolutely necessary to get rid of their product before closing their doors.

WSS has already sold off most of their good gear and did so at minimal discounts. Pretty clear the liquidators running the sale know what they are doing...
One of the long time staff told me pretty much the same. The liquidators are making no attempt to compete and they are trying to get as much as they can before the close date. I do not know if it is true but I was also told that the liquidation company will make a commission on the funds realized.

Bottom line is that there seems to be no spectacular deals on the stuff I am interested in. I have been in there 4 times and had a nice visit but I left with all my money and a cold credit card
Old 11-25-2017, 04:44 PM

Quote:
One of the long time staff told me pretty much the same. The liquidators are making no attempt to compete and they are trying to get as much as they can before the close date. I do not know if it is true but I was also told that the liquidation company will make a commission on the funds realized.

Bottom line is that there seems to be no spectacular deals on the stuff I am interested in. I have been in there 4 times and had a nice visit but I left with all my money and a cold credit card
My experience too.
Old 11-26-2017, 11:23 AM

I have a white wing single auto thrower id sell. only used 1 season
Old 11-26-2017, 04:46 PM

Ive bought enough reloading components, lures and flies at a good enough discount to last me a very long time.

As its already been stated, I'm also assuming since Bass Pro and Cabelas are one company now and with the closure of Wholesale the lack of competition will not be good.
Old 11-26-2017, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by getatmewolf View Post
Ive bought enough reloading components, lures and flies at a good enough discount to last me a very long time.

As its already been stated, I'm also assuming since Bass Pro and Cabelas are one company now and with the closure of Wholesale the lack of competition will not be good.
I expect they will still need to compete with online players. These days, even old guys are click’n “proceed to checkout”.
Old 11-26-2017, 08:05 PM
Banned

Quote:

Ive found that the sales really arent spectacular and their selection is even worse now. Ive checked back a few times over the last few months. I wont be going in again. By the time the sales are of any significance it will be so picked through it wont be worth your time
Old 11-27-2017, 10:39 PM
Banned

Got a bell and carlson stock for my m77 mkll for 80$ today
Old 11-28-2017, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Sky View Post
I was at the Calgary store on Thursday. Guns at 25% off. When they hit 30% off, I'm gonna pull the trigger. Someone might beat me to it, but it's all part of the fun in a Dutch auction.

It's still ok to say Dutch auction, isn't it?
Sounds like you should be pulling the trigger soon! I was in there on Saturday, most were marked down 25% but there were a handful at 30% and a few market down 45% as a "manager's special". I picked up at little Ruger 10/22 for $265 - sure that might be more than some guys here picked them up for 5+ years ago but when Cabelas has them at $369.99, not a bad time to buy.
Old 11-28-2017, 01:47 PM

Mostly 40% off in the fly tying department. Saved myself $304 on a runaway.
Old 11-28-2017, 03:50 PM

Can someone tell me in Lethbridge they have Score shotgun shells and what price for 3 inch thanks

LIFE IS TO SHORT TO HAVE AN UGLY LOOKIN DOG .....GET A LAB
Old 11-30-2017, 07:47 PM

I stopped at the Edmonton North store today. They still have ammo at 25% off, lots of lead hunting loads and target loads, some rifle ammo in rim fire, 22-250, 223, 7mm etc. Not many guys buying.... Few peices of clothing at 30% off but nothing really spectacular. Heard a rumour that the main sell event is gonna be on Boxing Day.
Old 12-01-2017, 08:41 AM

Bought a pair of Steiner predator 10x42 binocs for 355 tax in. Leica crf 900 for 375$ tax in, benelli supernova Canadian waterfowl edition for 650 tax in, and ruger 10/22 mags, in 17 hmr, 22 mag and 22 or for 17$ each. Not bad haul.
Old 12-02-2017, 11:29 AM

Was at the southside store, 2 guys at the gun counter, ignored by both, nothing special on gun pricing, only 5 scopes left, some non wholesale sports liquidation stuff has been brought in to sell also, walked out with some Weatherby brass at a reasonable but not great price..
Old 12-02-2017, 07:50 PM
Banned

Was at the Edm North store today, pretty much picked clean, not much left at all. Been in there several times since the announcement was made, no real sales IMO.

I wonder what they did with all the taxidermy?
Old 12-02-2017, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by airbornedeerhunter View Post

I wonder what they did with all the taxidermy?
They used it to pay for the security gaurd lol