Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 11-22-2017, 09:34 PM

Default Moultrie Game Spy 2 pack 6.0MP ?

I bought a 2 pack of these cameras at Canadian Tire for $125. After checking online reviews and finding some very poor ones, I am hesitant to even open the pack. The only reviews I found mention a 35' flash range and these claim a 1 second delay & 40' range. Have any of you experienced these cameras?
Old 11-22-2017, 09:49 PM

Im not trying to be negative but any trail camera you pay 62.50$ for probably wont be very good quality.
Maybe you will have good luck, but I doubt it.
Ive pretty much came to the conclusion if you dont spend 200$ per cam your probably going to have issues.
But with that said I do have a few cams that are well over 200$ that i have issues with aswell.
I have two Spypoints that are terrible.
So far my Cuddebacks, Browning and Bushnells have been good.
For some odd reason the pictures I load to my computer from a Bushnell camera take 10x longer to load than they do from any other camera.
And yes they are similar megapixel etc
Old 11-22-2017, 10:01 PM

I have 2 older moultries. Didn’t pay much. Have taken 10’s of thousands of pics each. They have great battery life, pics are not as good as my other cams but still they take decent pics
Old 11-23-2017, 04:04 AM

I bought some 6mp 2 pack Stealth Cams at Canadian Tire 2 years ago and they have worked flawlessly. Oh sure, they do not have the all the bells and whistles (mp, flash and detection range) per say of my Brownings or Bushnells but at least a third of the price, they have allowed me to have more cameras in the field.

Another bonus, if one goes missing, it is $62.50 not $225 down the drain.

When I set them up, I make sure to use them in spots that will yield the bezt results based upon their capabilities, not say my Bushnells.
Old 11-23-2017, 06:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7mmremmag View Post
Im not trying to be negative but any trail camera you pay 62.50$ for probably wont be very good quality.
Maybe you will have good luck, but I doubt it.
Ive pretty much came to the conclusion if you dont spend 200$ per cam your probably going to have issues.
But with that said I do have a few cams that are well over 200$ that i have issues with aswell.
I have two Spypoints that are terrible.
So far my Cuddebacks, Browning and Bushnells have been good.
For some odd reason the pictures I load to my computer from a Bushnell camera take 10x longer to load than they do from any other camera.
And yes they are similar megapixel etc
Don't agree with this I have Spypoint cellular that is a POS unable to use it and I could have 4 others for the price of it.
Old 11-23-2017, 07:10 AM
Banned

I use 12mp moultree camera, bought for 90$. Quality of image is very good and has fair distance 50ft. Night images are good out to 35ft. If I could only program it to skip on squirrel action.
Old 11-23-2017, 07:31 AM

I have also just purchased these trail cams but think I will return them as I see that Cabellas has the stealth Cam 2 pack for $130 and it has a much better MP quality and also better range.
Not to side rail the discussion but does anyone know of a place to buy a decent adjustable locking cable that will fit through these trail cams? My Dad has had 2 cameras go missing in the past 2 years and it is becoming a pain in the ass. Who takes trail cams, I don't get it. I wouldn't even think of it, but then again, who poaches? Probably similar types of people!
Old 11-23-2017, 07:59 AM

Masterlock python cable locks is what you want. Just make sure you get ones with the right diameter cable (smaller diameter). Can get at Cabelas, Canadian Tire and have seen them in Wal-Mart too. Sure other places carry them as well and you can try Amazon too. think Canadian tire is around $28 a lock not on sale.
Old 11-23-2017, 08:02 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Got two, got lots of pics, set them up last year, stayed in the bush until August in which I found the batteries dead, after 9 months, threw in new batteries and they still work...not the greatest pic quality other than day pics but for the price and the fact you get more eyes out in the bush I can live with it.

I say open the pack and give it a shot, not much loss money wise.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 11-23-2017, 07:02 PM

I appreciate all the comments, thanks. I had read several reviews that stated guys had 1000's of pics with no subject in them, triggered for no apparent reason. Maybe some grass or brush waving in the wind? Like I mentioned earlier, I'm not sure those were the exact same camera that was being reviewed.
Old 11-23-2017, 07:43 PM

I have four of them and I have the problems the op mentions
After the first pic or 600 am in the morning they start taking pics literally thousands until the Batteries die
one cam took 8000 photos and burned out the cam ?
I've tried formatting etc
Really pleased with the primos bullet proof cam for 50$ At Cdn tire
I run a lot of cams so always looking for good cheap ones that don't drain my retirement fund when the grow legs and walk away
Old 11-23-2017, 11:17 PM

Thanks for the info bigspiker. I think I will just return these cams unopened. I bought some Hunten cameras in Great Falls a few years back. They seemed cheap at the time. They gave me many hundreds of pics of nothing & grass or trees waving in the wind.
Old 11-24-2017, 05:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigspiker View Post
I have four of them and I have the problems the op mentions
After the first pic or 600 am in the morning they start taking pics literally thousands until the Batteries die
one cam took 8000 photos and burned out the cam ?
I've tried formatting etc
Really pleased with the primos bullet proof cam for 50$ At Cdn tire
I run a lot of cams so always looking for good cheap ones that don't drain my retirement fund when the grow legs and walk away
The two I have don't do this guess I am lucky but I dominate a bushnel that rips off pics like nothing even when set on the lowest sensitivity...good luck on your quest for camera perfection...remember to conceal them...they go for walks on thier own too.

Picked up my cameras yesterday and hey not one grew legs, guess I am getting smarter than the thieves.

Old 11-24-2017, 06:09 AM

You can always use your cheap cams to take pics of thieves stealing your good ones and then post them on here.
Old 11-24-2017, 10:07 PM

I bought the same ones at CTC last year - for some reason they won't take any pictures. There were fresh moose and deer tracks within 12 yards right in sensor path and no pictures.

I have an older Moultrie and it works awesome.
Old 11-25-2017, 06:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fred1 View Post
I appreciate all the comments, thanks. I had read several reviews that stated guys had 1000's of pics with no subject in them, triggered for no apparent reason. Maybe some grass or brush waving in the wind? Like I mentioned earlier, I'm not sure those were the exact same camera that was being reviewed.
One of mine did this , the other just killed the batteries and took no pics. I lost the receipt opps...... junk imo. That said I have an old moult and it has been great, not much money spent $120-140 iirc.

If there world is warming why is there so many new snowflakes?

If we are all equal why are you demanding special treatment?
Old 11-25-2017, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered user View Post
You can always use your cheap cams to take pics of thieves stealing your good ones and then post them on here.
Will do!

Got no problems with public humiliation to scumbags.

Old 11-25-2017, 09:36 AM

Picked up a couple more game cams and the python locking cables. They are prefect, thanks John.