Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 06-18-2012, 06:18 PM

Default "Go-Pro" camera on a bow?

My dearest wife bought me one of those "Go-Pro" camera's to capture all of my outdoor adventures. It's one of those camera's that sky-divers and extreme-sport enthusiasts mount on their helmets. Has anyone here ever tried mounting one to a bow? The little camera is certainly compact and light enough to mount to a bow, but my concern is whether it could withstand the recoil and vibration of the bow. [We're talking a compound bow here, not a crossbow].

Old 06-18-2012, 07:28 PM

Default GoPro

...by the way, the reason I ask, is because I once learned the hard way as to how much vibration a compound bow can produce. I once mounted a nice Bushnell rifle scope on my crossbow, and about 25 shots later, the components inside the scope basically imploded and turned into scrambled eggs. Again, we're now talking a regular compound bow, but.... There are a few posts on YouTube where guys have mounted the GoPro to the front of the bow, but, now I'm wondering how long those camera's will last!

Last edited by Artist; 06-18-2012 at 07:28 PM. Reason: clarity
Old 06-18-2012, 07:34 PM

these cameras are great, i usually just use it with the head strap when bow hunting. i'm not sure how it would cope being mounted to the bow. The only problem I have with mine is that it does not capture objects at a distance very well. I mean like 25 yds +, I thought I had a great video of a coyote bow hunt last year only to get home and realize the whole time, with the coyote at about 30yds the camera was not picking him up very well. It looked like I shot at nothing, and if i hadnt got him to prove he was there, lots of people would of thought I made the whole thing up.
Old 06-18-2012, 07:37 PM

Default @ rlg

...do you have your camera mounted to you bow?
Old 06-18-2012, 07:48 PM

the reason your rifle scope went to bits on your cross bow is because riflescopes arnt desigend to take forward motion recoil. there are desiginated scopes for pellet guns and cross bows.

as for your go pro camera yes it will take the recoil if there is any on your compound. i have had serveral friends mount them on compounds and recurves as well as.
Old 06-18-2012, 07:53 PM

no not mounted on the bow, i wear the headstrap that comes with it.
Old 06-18-2012, 07:46 PM

Smile

Well I guess you could say" thank you honey for the thoughtful gift But you see honey rather than ruining a perfectly good camera we could take this one back and get one that is ment for that abuse" ...... worth a try anyway hope it works out .
Old 07-02-2012, 01:52 AM

I have a hero2 by go pro, I mounted it to an old Saunders tork tamer, as well as made a platform for it that utilizes sling holes on my guns, have shot hundreds of bullets like this as well as arrows. It's holding up. Kind of a cool perspective. My only complaint is that it had no remote. I would really like to be able to mount it to a tree in front of my treestands to film the after effect of the business end but don't feel like running down to change the battery every 90 minutes! Other than that great product. Try submersing it on your next fishing trip!!