Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 11-28-2023, 11:51 PM

Default opinion: Looking to buy a new battery powered ice auger

what’s really the best battery powered ice auger out there? Don’t trust so called test websites. Typically fish Slave Lake so ice can be thicker-ish.
Old 11-29-2023, 06:35 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.
Thumbs up

Best?
We went with the strikemaster 40V 8” cut....year three for us now and no issues at all...why the 8” cut? Well it draws less on the battery and if I do need a larger hole I drill two side by side
We went with the strikemaster as at that time it seemed very durable, reliable and proven on the ice.
Best? Depends who you talk too but I always say don’t buy the brand new stuff right away, let the true colours shine offer the product has been out for a few years and the company’s either work the bugs out or move onto another model.
Was at the fishing hole the other day and the Eskimo seemed nice but if I was in the market I would look at others that have been around like I mentioned.
Good luck.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 11-29-2023, 06:47 AM

I bought the 10 inch Strikemaster a couple seasons ago. I dont like it ,it stalls out all the time my 10 inch propane never stalled out unless I hooked a stone in the ice I wouldnt buy one again

Shove your masks and your vaccines
Non Compliance!!!!!!
"According to Trudeau, Im an extremist who needs to be dealt with"
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

The vaccine was not brought in for COVID. COVID was brought in for the vaccine. Once you realize that, everything else makes sense.” ~ Dr. Reiner Fuellmich
Old 11-29-2023, 07:26 AM

I bought a 10” strikemaster last Dec and so far I love it. No issues yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-29-2023, 08:38 AM

I've only used or been around the Strikemasters, but I think pretty much any electric auger is a game changer compared to gas.

I've got the 10" 40V Strikemaster and I LOVE it. It's light but solid, it cuts fast, it's silent, it handles well, the battery lasts all day for my needs, and it has never stalled on me, it's super powerful.

I'd like to pick up one of the 24V models with the 8" lite flight as a second auger, just for the lighter weight and added portability in some situations.
Old 11-29-2023, 10:16 AM

Here's the deal. If money is no object and you absolutely have to have the best auger, it's an ION Alpha Plus with a composite flite. You'll find a lot more people with SMs and they are a great auger you'd be more than happy with. But they aren't the best. You're welcome to read all the reviews and YouTube videos and confirm.

I think 58thecat and I may have to shoot a video in April when we meet up on a certain lake where the ice definitely won't be thicker-ish.
Old 11-29-2023, 03:48 PM

I purchased the Eskimo E-40 in the 8” with composite flite with the spare battery deal, cannot wait to try it out at 13.5 pounds. I also have the very first Gen 1 ion which I will keep as a spare, was surprised all the accessories from the ion are compatible with the new Eskimo including the batteries.
Old 11-29-2023, 04:34 PM

Buddy of mine uses the Ion 10 but it is waayyy too heavy for me.

The SM 10 is quite a bit lighter and will cut faster as well. I have the 24V 8 SM and in yr. 5 coming up and never an issue. Very light and fast, and now I have even found an out fit that can sharpen the lazer mag blades.
Old 11-29-2023, 04:47 PM

I've had a strikemaster 40V 10" since the first day they were released and I love mine. Blades are stupid expensive now though and basically impossible to resharpen.

My buddy bought an ION alpha last year and it drilled half a hole and died... quality control? bad impressions anyways.

Just my 2 cents
Old 11-29-2023, 09:24 PM

Canadian Tire Woods drill adaptable. Dewalt 20v brushless. Works awesome and you have a drill for many reasons. Not just an ice auger for an ice auger. I live on a lake and that stupid thing has drilled a ridiculous about of holes over the last 3 years.

Old 11-30-2023, 05:44 AM

My vote goes to the strikemaster 40v in a ten inch. Grabbed an extra battery. Deadly auger. No issues at all. Waited for the fishin hole sale otherwise a bit pricey.
Old 11-30-2023, 06:58 AM

https://www.princessauto.com/en/8-in...t/PA0009186024

dont miss this. Princessauto has best warranty policy
Old 11-30-2023, 09:02 AM

A typical ice fishing outing sees me drilling 7 or 8 holes maximium. With that in mind, I went new auger shopping 3 years ago. I ended up getting the SM 24V due to its light weight, compact size and friendly price tag. Auger has performed flawlessly.

If I was shopping today, I would be bringing home the E40. Lighter than the SM 24V(advertised) and just as compact but with 40V power. Price wise it is more but with the current free second battery offer now on, cost difference between it and the 24V with a second battery be not that great and with the E40 you have the capability to drill more holes than the 24V if you so choose.

If I needed extra capacity and performance for big ice and 10” holes and lots of them, then the Ion Alpha would be my choice.
Old 11-30-2023, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneChristie View Post
I bought the 10 inch Strikemaster a couple seasons ago. I dont like it ,it stalls out all the time my 10 inch propane never stalled out unless I hooked a stone in the ice I wouldnt buy one again
I had the propane and nothing but issues go figure. A bud of mine has the Strikemaster 10 with the Honda motor and never an issue in over 7 yr.

But the inquiry was on electric and my 24 volt 8 inch Strikemaster is going into it's 4th yr never an isse. Never had an issue with my older one that also had the Honda motor
Old 11-30-2023, 10:34 AM

Just remember Ion Gen 2 was a dud and is why there are some so called good prices on them out there. Alpha is king of the castle, SM pretty sweet too. The new Eskimo May be interesting but anything version 1.0 I would wait myself. Saying that I went Pistol bit and Milwaukee drill last year and loved it. I had to add an extension at the end of last season but worked well. This year I added the big 12 amp battery so should be able to drill all day.
Old 11-30-2023, 12:31 PM

I have had a SM 40v in the 8 inch for 5 ish years. It came with an extra battery at the time. The only time I needed the second battery was when I was drilling tons of holes for the ACA Kids Can Catch event at Wabamun. It’s been a great auger. I’m sure the Ion Alpha is great too.

I also have a 6 inch Strikemaster Lite Flite that can be used with my 40v head if I am doing run and gun perch in late season, or I use a Milwaukee M18 Fuel with it in early season for trout or perch.

There are other brands out there but some have had reliability issues and frequent redesigns. I have had no regrets with my SM 40v. If I had to do it over again I would only look at the Alpha and SM.

SS

YouTube: Harder Outdoors
Instagram: @harderoutdoors
FB: HarderOutdoors
Old 11-30-2023, 01:16 PM

i have a dewalt 20v hammer drill so i bought 1 of those augers that you can put on the end of your drill. I can drill multiple holes and never run out of juice.
Old 11-30-2023, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneChristie View Post
Hate to say it but the issue is likely 90% you. I've gave my SM40 10 inch to others to try and watched the odd person make it bind. Then I take it back and straight through no stopping and no issues. Could be an issue though with the one you got...maybe
Old 12-01-2023, 07:21 AM

Ion Alpha Plus with 2 batteries on sale at Cabelas for $150 off.
Old 12-01-2023, 08:28 AM

Whatever you end up getting, keep the blades sharp and it will make the biggest difference. I got a 10" SM 40V, and put my 8" leg on it from my lazer mag with old/dull blades. Was not impressed at the performance. You can do a lot of extra spinning on a gas auger and not really change your day much in terms of hole drilling power.

New blades on the 8" gets pretty close to what it states it can do. I run 3 batteries and routinely kill 2 a day drilling holes. I was pretty dead set against battery but my ears are going to thank me later. Still use the gas for 10" and overnighters or long trips but yea strikemaster 40v 95% of the time.
Old 12-01-2023, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNAPFisher View Post
Hate to say it but the issue is likely 90% you. I've gave my SM40 10 inch to others to try and watched the odd person make it bind. Then I take it back and straight through no stopping and no issues. Could be an issue though with the one you got...maybe
Binding at the bottom of the hole and the flite wobbling on the powerhead are known issues with the SM. It's not him.
Old 12-01-2023, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbertanGP View Post
Binding at the bottom of the hole and the flite wobbling on the powerhead are known issues with the SM. It's not him.
Oh sure, sure.... Alpha lover!
Old 12-02-2023, 11:57 AM

Default save for the alphabecatti

ion has had how many new models in the last few years, the best is the best until the next seasongen x, r1, alpha, alpha plus,the next one is going to be the alpahbecatti, I'm getting hungry for it already.
Old 12-03-2023, 08:40 AM

My SM 24V had the flyte wobble common to the SM brand. I bought a longer socket head bolt so when threaded in it extended out the other side long enough to get a nylon lock nut on it. Snugged up, no wobble.
Old 12-03-2023, 03:30 PM

Default 20V drill and flight

I have two gas 10" Jiffy ice drills in the my garage that have been sitting since I bought an Eskimo pistol auger ($199.00 Cabelas) for my 20V cordless drill. This set up is way lighter than any electric auger, most times I only need 1 extra battery. My wife and I drill as many as 2 dozen holes to start the day then drill more as needed for perch fishing. Usually 10-20 inches of ice, drilling 30 holes before need to swap out the batteries. The only way I will go now.
Old 12-03-2023, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1973 Moose View Post
I have two gas 10" Jiffy ice drills in the my garage that have been sitting since I bought an Eskimo pistol auger ($199.00 Cabelas) for my 20V cordless drill. This set up is way lighter than any electric auger, most times I only need 1 extra battery. My wife and I drill as many as 2 dozen holes to start the day then drill more as needed for perch fishing. Usually 10-20 inches of ice, drilling 30 holes before need to swap out the batteries. The only way I will go now.
Yeah, I had a 10 inch Eskimo Z51 that was maybe 20 holes in from new when I switched to the SM40V. Bought a post hole auger bit and now the Z51 does summer summer work digging post holes.
Old 12-06-2023, 12:32 PM

SM 8' here... no issues whatsoever in 3 seasons. A bit heavy but other pros outweigh this little con.
Old 12-06-2023, 12:50 PM

I also went with the the CT woods drill and paired it with a metabo 36V drill.
Cuts lots a holes and I use the drill for other things of course.
I can get batteries on sale at KMS cheaper than auger batteries at sporting good stores.