Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 11-06-2023, 11:12 AM

Default Inflatable life preserver.

Getting up in years and thinking I should be wearing a life preserver full time especially when I have my grandson with me. Any advice? Lots out there with wild price swings. Are the Amazon ones as good as the Mustangs and such. Most of the Amazon are not Canadian rated, but it does not mean they are cheap, or are they. They all come from China anyways. Have been doing some snooping and there are guys wearing the Amazon one and have the regular ones on board to cover legal stuff and just in cases.

Thomas Sowell
Old 11-06-2023, 11:21 AM

What’s your life worth to you? I figure for something like that buy quality. I have a mustang and first watch inflatables for my work boat. Mustang is slimmer but I think the first watch is sturdier. Have never had to use either and pray I don’t. I always wear a pdd in a boat. Just like wearing a seatbelt on the highway!
Old 11-06-2023, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordtruckin View Post
What’s your life worth to you? I figure for something like that buy quality. I have a mustang and first watch inflatables for my work boat. Mustang is slimmer but I think the first watch is sturdier. Have never had to use either and pray I don’t. I always wear a pdd in a boat. Just like wearing a seatbelt on the highway!
I guess my question is, is the Mustang really better quality or is it just rebranded Chinese stuff.

Thomas Sowell
Old 11-06-2023, 06:31 PM

I have used mustang for years. They are slim and well fitting which makes them easy to wear all the time on the water. But most of all because Iknow they work I test them every year or two to make sure which means I buy replacement cylinders regularly which ensures they are fresh. My younger brother drowned wjhen he just turned 21 and he was wearing a lifejacket, NOT A MUSTANG
Old 11-07-2023, 10:06 AM

Cabelas and Bass pro have their own brands and mustang regularly on sale. Usually cheaper than Amazon and way better quality.
Both are great. We actually forget we are wearing them while on the water.
Light weight and very non intrusive.
We've used Bass Pro brand for years. Very reliable. Just be careful and not to splash a bunch of water on the vest or you'll get a big surprise.
However, no problem if you do. The are easily re-pack and recharged. The replacement charging packs are very reasonable.
Old 11-07-2023, 11:03 AM

I am over 70, and have always worn one, even though I am a good swimmer and was a certified lifeguard in my youth. I too have been looking at possibly an inflatable as being easier to use and manage; the full life jackets are more than a little bulky! What changed my mind was paying attention on our last northern fishing trip, and how much I relied on the insulation value of the bulky jacket to keep warm, especially in the mornings.

Vic
Old 11-07-2023, 11:48 AM

I run the Cabelas/Bass Pro versions.

Something to be aware of is there are three types of inflatable life jackets.

Manual inflating: you need to pull the string to inflate the jacket. Not that great if you fall out of the boat and get knocked out.

Automatic inflating: Has a small disc that dissolves when it contacts water, resulting in the jacket inflating. Better than the manual, but susceptible to going off if it rains heavily or you get splashed. Can also go off in storage if something is damp in there.

Hydrostatic: Similar to the automatic, but requires a bit of water pressure to inflate. If you fall in the water and go a bit below the surface, it will inflate. Probably the best tech, but most expensive to buy as a vest and the rearm kits.

I run the automatic and carry a few rearm kits in my boat in case they go off and need to be rearmed.

SS

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

YouTube: Harder Outdoors
Instagram: @harderoutdoors
FB: HarderOutdoors
Old 11-08-2023, 08:41 AM

I have a Nautilus brand (NIV2000). It has the automatic inflate, the pull cord and a manual inflate tube to blow in. I enjoy wearing it cause it is comfortable. Also, I carry regular PFD's and a Floater Jacket. Just remember to wear it on the outside and not under a jacket or hoodie . I have extra recharged cylinders for the unexpected, damn it Janet, left it out and it rained. POOF
Old 11-09-2023, 11:41 AM

Was just on Cabelas site. They have a nice automatic inflatable on sale for
$150. $80 off. These are comfortable I have 2 already. thinking of getting a couple more and getting rid of the old bulky ones
Old 11-25-2023, 11:26 AM

I'm 77 and have a damaged heart after two heart attacks. Anyway I fell in a pond face down last year and even though it was 25 C outside and I can swim,by the time the cold water shock hit me and I sorta got turned over there was no energy left to get out without help.

I dang near drowned except for my bud pulled me out. So I now wear a Mustang even if it looks stupid even on shore. Before that I wore it all the time for quite a while now on the NSR. Waters to fast for me without. Advise get best setup you can get lifes to short to cheap out.
Old 11-25-2023, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stubblejumper01 View Post
Was just on Cabelas site. They have a nice automatic inflatable on sale for
$150. $80 off. These are comfortable I have 2 already. thinking of getting a couple more and getting rid of the old bulky ones
Yeah I saw that two days after I ordered my Mustang non auto.
I did get a very good deal on the Mustang as well though.

Thomas Sowell
Old 11-25-2023, 03:03 PM

Whatever you choose, look for one with the wider straps for comfort.
Old 11-26-2023, 08:19 AM

Mustang saved my life when I was hit by a boatload of drunks in a rental speedboat. Woke up in the water after auto-inflate kicked in.

My blog - casting on the waters

fishing regulations and facts on fish handling
Fishing Regulations
Old 11-26-2023, 11:06 AM

We trust Mustang.

They actually have a decent sale on now. I picked up a MIT 70 auto inflate, a kids foam pfd and a dry bag for $200 all in.
Old 11-26-2023, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lornce View Post
Mustang saved my life when I was hit by a boatload of drunks in a rental speedboat. Woke up in the water after auto-inflate kicked in.
WOW! Just like that life can change. Proof to buy a quality PFD.

Dodger.
Old 12-09-2023, 02:04 AM

I have a couple of different brands, like my Mustang the best. Seems to be my go to. Ima a big believer in you get what you pay for with inflatables.