Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 04-05-2017, 06:39 PM

Default Need help deciding

So I'm having trouble deciding what I want to do for the upcoming season, Budget is $500-650. I have right now a .308 Norma magnum rifle, for me, for it to be fall ready I need to replace the steel buttplate and buy a half decent scope. Also need to get someone to help me reload ammo or buy said equipment to do so.

I am also entertaining the idea of purchasing a used .270 with scope already on it. Or a different calibre, seeing as I already have a larger calibre smaller seems like a better choice for me. Not sure if the budget can pull that off, and also has to be bought used from a store as $500 is a gift card to my store of choosing.

So, what would you do?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-05-2017, 06:44 PM
Banned

A steel buttplate ?? What the /&£|\}#% kind of rifle is it ??

And,, the .308 Norma is a great caliber , will do everything the other .30 caliber magnums can do, and with authority
Old 04-05-2017, 06:48 PM

Default Simple and cheap

I've never regretted my Rem 783 in .308win. Good advice from the guys at MilArm - if you're going for a cheap rifle go for whatever's cheapest - Rem 783 and Savage Axis tend to be the usual suspects.
Old 04-05-2017, 06:49 PM

So your question is "Should I buy another gun?"
Let me be the first to say "Yes, you should buy another gun"
Old 04-05-2017, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkdump View Post

And,, the .308 Norma is a great caliber , will do everything the other .30 caliber magnums can do, and with authority

Lol As close as I got to identifying it is a sporterized enfield but never went down the manufacture rabbit hole

Help identifying rifle

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?sha...2&share_type=t

Old 04-05-2017, 07:11 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain91 View Post
Lol As close as I got to identifying it is a sporterized enfield but never went down the manufacture rabbit hole

Help identifying rifle

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?sha...2&share_type=t

A sporterized p17 in good shape is a good rifle, butttt? Heavy, uuuggly, I'm with you there,

But the .308 Norma Caliber is a good caliber, nevertheless
Old 04-06-2017, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceadog View Post
I've never regretted my Rem 783 in .308win. Good advice from the guys at MilArm - if you're going for a cheap rifle go for whatever's cheapest - Rem 783 and Savage Axis tend to be the usual suspects.

I was looking at the Rem 783. I was also looking at the mossberg patriot, mostly because it's got the vortex scope on it so that at least should be usable even once the cheaper rifle degrades. I've heard pretty mixed review on the patriot though

Old 04-07-2017, 09:36 AM

If the ammo for what you have now is so cost prohibitive that you have to reload, and pay for all the reloading equipment, and a new scope, and a new recoil pad....

I'd sell what you have for what you can get, buy an inexpensive rifle like a Ruger American or similar in some common inexpensive, easily found calibre like .270, .308, .30-06. That rifle will be inexpensive, shoot well, and be able to handle any game you might want to take in this province. Top it with a modest but decent piece of glass, say a 3-9x40 in a lower/midrange Nikon, Bushnell, Leupold, and you are off to the races. That would be less than $800, further minus whatever you get for your current rifle. And if you can find all this second hand, even better.
Old 04-07-2017, 09:56 AM

Any way to get $500 cash instead of gift card to the store of your choosing and shop the used section instead? I simply think you might get a better deal that way.
Old 04-07-2017, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post
If the ammo for what you have now is so cost prohibitive that you have to reload, and pay for all the reloading equipment, and a new scope, and a new recoil pad....

I'd sell what you have for what you can get, buy an inexpensive rifle like a Ruger American or similar in some common inexpensive, easily found calibre like .270, .308, .30-06. That rifle will be inexpensive, shoot well, and be able to handle any game you might want to take in this province. Top it with a modest but decent piece of glass, say a 3-9x40 in a lower/midrange Nikon, Bushnell, Leupold, and you are off to the races. That would be less than $800, further minus whatever you get for your current rifle. And if you can find all this second hand, even better.
I would tend to agree with you, except that I can't sell this one. It was my grandpas and he's since passed so I'd like to hang onto it.
Old 04-07-2017, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SylverCANADA View Post
Any way to get $500 cash instead of gift card to the store of your choosing and shop the used section instead? I simply think you might get a better deal that way.
I wish, it's a work bonus for my fifth year at the company and it's structured so that you have to do a gift card. Some sort of write-off I'm sure. I do get my choice of where to get it, the turnover rate at the used section of Cabelas seems pretty good so I was hoping to take my chances in there.
Old 04-07-2017, 01:26 PM
Banned

I'm still wondering if your rifle is really chambered in 308win, or 308 NM ?

That would be my 1st priority...

Second, I'd definitely look for a used rifle, something made in the 20th century.

Are you unable to use your store credit as a trade towards a rifle here (in the Buy&Sell) ? Or do you the only person able to use it ?

Old 04-07-2017, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J0HN_R1 View Post
I'm still wondering if your rifle is really chambered in 308win, or 308 NM ?

That would be my 1st priority...

Second, I'd definitely look for a used rifle, something made in the 20th century.

Ever think about offering your store credit as a trade towards a rifle here (in the Buy&Sell) ?

I am 99.9% sure that it's the.308NM. My grandpas cousin who knew the gunsmith that he bought it from at the time confimed, and there's also a box of NM with the load data written on it in the safe.

Interesting thought on the trading of the giftcard, hadn't thought of it but a great idea.
Old 04-07-2017, 02:06 PM

Quote:
............ the used section of Cabelas seems pretty good so I was hoping to take my chances in there.
The Calgary store usually has some nice guns. The last time I was in, they had a couple of nice older Rem 700's and a couple of Ruger 77's. They were more than $500, but not a lot more. IMO, I'd rate these options ahead of a new, 'price point' gun.
Old 04-07-2017, 05:14 PM

The used rifles at Cabelas usually have new prices. I once sold a rifle to Cabelas for $400. 6 weeks later i saw my rifle in Cabelas and they wanted $790. I hadnt paid $790 for it when i bought it new.
Old 04-07-2017, 05:21 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceadog View Post
Yeah, cheap rifles sell I suppose. That's unfortunate, gimme an old proven solid platform, used but not abused any day.
Old 04-07-2017, 05:23 PM
Banned

Quote:

It's the kind of rifle sold before "man buns" were the hot ticket.
Old 04-07-2017, 05:24 PM
Banned

Quote:

It's the kind of rifle sold before "man buns" were in fashion.
Old 04-07-2017, 07:39 PM

Does Mystic Precision have gift cards? You could use one against a Boyd stock on the rifle, optics, or reloading gear.
Specifically thinking the stock would tame some recoil.
Old 04-07-2017, 09:16 PM

Default Choices!!!

[QUOTE=captain91;3510902]So I'm having trouble deciding what I want to do for the upcoming season, Budget is $500-650. I have right now a .308 Norma magnum rifle, for me, for it to be fall ready I need to replace the steel buttplate and buy a half decent scope. Also need to get someone to help me reload ammo or buy said equipment to do so.

I am also entertaining the idea of purchasing a used .270 with scope already on it. Or a different calibre, seeing as I already have a larger calibre smaller seems like a better choice for me. Not sure if the budget can pull that off, and also has to be bought used from a store as $500 is a gift card to my store of choosing.

So, what would you do?

If you are entertaining the idea of going with a .270, do it!!! There will be no question in the end!! They are very accurate and will definitely take down big game. The worst is going with something else and questioning whether or not you made the right choice
Old 04-19-2017, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gitrdun View Post
It's the kind of rifle sold before "man buns" were in fashion.
haha too true

[QUOTE=morinj;3512413]
Quote:
So I'm having trouble deciding what I want to do for the upcoming season, Budget is $500-650. I have right now a .308 Norma magnum rifle, for me, for it to be fall ready I need to replace the steel buttplate and buy a half decent scope. Also need to get someone to help me reload ammo or buy said equipment to do so.

So, what would you do?

If you are entertaining the idea of going with a .270, do it!!! There will be no question in the end!! They are very accurate and will definitely take down big game. The worst is going with something else and questioning whether or not you made the right choice
I have decided to go the .270 route. Just now deciding which one if I were to end up going new. Rem 783, Ruger american, Mossberg patriot. Otherwise going to check out the used section see what I can find
Old 04-19-2017, 09:30 PM

Post a thread in buy and sell, offering to trade your $500.00 gift card for a good rifle, I bet someone is willing! $500 should get you a pretty good weatherby vanguard, or Ruger American!
Old 04-26-2017, 02:51 PM

Personally on a budget like this I would figure a way to combine current cost of rifle and gift card into one quality rifle.
Other words if you see or want a certain rifle wait till you figure it out and have the money for it.
Don't need to rush anything even if you have to save a little for a month or two also will pay off in the long run.

Last edited by MikeBouch; 04-26-2017 at 03:03 PM.
Old 04-26-2017, 03:15 PM

This is really quite simple. Get a brand new Winchester XPR in 30-06. Bashaw Sports has them on sale for $499 and you will be able to find cheap ammo anywhere. Gun comes with rings and bases. Top it with a used Leupold VX1 or Nikon Prostaff that you will be able to get used on this forum (or CGN) for $200. $700 and you have a new rifle and good used scope. That gun will shoot very accurately and last you for as long as your flesh walks the earth. The only reason to change would be want as opposed to need.
Old 04-27-2017, 08:55 AM

Smile 270 elk

Quote:
Originally Posted by sns2 View Post
This is really quite simple. Get a brand new Winchester XPR in 30-06. Bashaw Sports has them on sale for $499 and you will be able to find cheap ammo anywhere. Gun comes with rings and bases. Top it with a used Leupold VX1 or Nikon Prostaff that you will be able to get used on this forum (or CGN) for $200. $700 and you have a new rifle and good used scope. That gun will shoot very accurately and last you for as long as your flesh walks the earth. The only reason to change would be want as opposed to need.
I have to agree hang on to the 308 norma I had a buddy with one great rifle