Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 05-23-2024, 08:16 AM

Default When to expect ice off at Maligne Lake?

Looking at the boathouse camera, there is still ice shore to shore.

When does it usually come off?

Drewski
Old 05-23-2024, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewski Canuck View Post
Looking at the boathouse camera, there is still ice shore to shore.

When does it usually come off?

Drewski
Differs every year. Last year it was by May long because it was so hot. Year before it was 8/9 of June. this year I'm hoping by Saturday but estimating by Monday. It is not ice to shore any longer. It is opening up nicely on the North side in home bay - camera shows that. Usually it is 4-5 days after that. This year is a very cold spring so it could be longer and I'm just guessing. I know they moved the Maligne Lake cruise back from 24-May to 30-May which I'm certain they are giving their best estimate at total ice free. I like being there before they start running and even having to navigate around some ice. Sure makes for a quiet trip
Old 05-24-2024, 12:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNAPFisher View Post
I like being there before they start running and even having to navigate around some ice. Sure makes for a quiet trip
The downside of sharing open water with ice floes on Maligne, is that the afternoon wind often picks up and packs Home Bay with ice. If you’re out in the open water, it’s impossible to bash your way through that ice to get back to the launch!
Old 05-24-2024, 08:19 AM

No worries. I don't leave homebay when there are ice floats.

On a sad note, looks like the whitefish in Talbot are almost 100% gone. I suspect summer kill or old age but likely summer kill. I felt the numbers are reducing every year. This year is bleak for sure. I've never seen a small one in there so not sure if they could spawn successfully. Could be the end of an era.
Old 05-24-2024, 10:47 PM

Quote:
No worries. I don't leave homebay when there are ice floats.

On a sad note, looks like the whitefish in Talbot are almost 100% gone. I suspect summer kill or old age but likely summer kill. I felt the numbers are reducing every year. This year is bleak for sure. I've never seen a small one in there so not sure if they could spawn successfully. Could be the end of an era.
What gives you that impression regarding Talbot Lake? Is there no whitefish natural reproduction there?
Old 05-25-2024, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thumper View Post
What gives you that impression regarding Talbot Lake? Is there no whitefish natural reproduction there?
Not that I've seen. Used to be all big ones and all about the same size. I have not caught anything under just shy of 4 lbs. It has been 10 good years in May that I've been going. Last year was the first year I missed. This year is the first year I've spent just trying to find the whites when typically you spoke them in large schools. There really is nowhere for them to hide. Spent a couple of days checking out the whole lake. Confirmed two for sure and then another 4 "maybies".
Old 05-29-2024, 04:07 PM

Home bay is open water. Ice still lurking in the bays further down the lake. They pushed back the opening day for the boat tours to 31-May. Getting close!
Old 06-03-2024, 08:40 AM

Technically the ice is not "off" yet. Made it out on Saturday and Sunday. Water is as clear as I can remember. You can see down 30 feet when calm. Ventured down the lake to the creek and river and spotted the ice just .5 km from the river. Even had a pilot diesel pusher pull up to check it out when I was there.

Lots of snow to melt yet. Should be a huge run off year.

Those bald hills are not bald yet.

Auger anyone?

Lots of these came to hand.
Old 06-04-2024, 01:09 AM

Default I asked a guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by thumper View Post
I asked a guide, Ryan, who took over the guiding licenses at Online Sports and Tackle when Mike retired. Said Talbot had a severe summerkill a couple of seasons ago.

If there are any whitefish left - and no confirmed reports as of 2024 - it will take years to get the lake back to where it was.
Old 06-04-2024, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smitty9 View Post
I asked a guide, Ryan, who took over the guiding licenses at Online Sports and Tackle when Mike retired. Said Talbot had a severe summerkill a couple of seasons ago.

If there are any whitefish left - and no confirmed reports as of 2024 - it will take years to get the lake back to where it was.
Thanks Smitty. That confirms my thinking that it was a summer kill. I can confirm visually that I spotted about 6 whites total in 2 days....maybe even the same ones but best guess. Compared to the summer 2 years ago when I ran into a hoard of 200-300. Never seen a group that big together before. Sad to see them go "belly up"., But, not surprising giving that depth of that lake.

I've seen whites under stress in previous years during the summer. They would circle and circle in one place. That is why I moved my fishing times to just within May while the water was colder and put less stress on any C&R.
Old 06-04-2024, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Thanks Smitty. That confirms my thinking that it was a summer kill. I can confirm visually that I spotted about 6 whites total in 2 days....maybe even the same ones but best guess. Compared to the summer 2 years ago when I ran into a hoard of 200-300. Never seen a group that big together before. Sad to see them go "belly up"., But, not surprising giving that depth of that lake.

I've seen whites under stress in previous years during the summer. They would circle and circle in one place. That is why I moved my fishing times to just within May while the water was colder and put less stress on any C&R.
I didn't fish Talbot last year, but a friend ( who is also a Jasper guide ) said there were schools last summer...so... the whites should still be there.
Unless they winter killed
Old 06-05-2024, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Technically the ice is not "off" yet. Made it out on Saturday and Sunday. Water is as clear as I can remember. You can see down 30 feet when calm. Ventured down the lake to the creek and river and spotted the ice just .5 km from the river. Even had a pilot diesel pusher pull up to check it out when I was there.

Lots of snow to melt yet. Should be a huge run off year.

Those bald hills are not bald yet.

Auger anyone?

Lots of these came to hand.
great photos , keep them coming.
Old 06-06-2024, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountain Guy View Post
I didn't fish Talbot last year, but a friend ( who is also a Jasper guide ) said there were schools last summer...so... the whites should still be there.
Unless they winter killed
I hope they did not! Not holding my breath. Maybe I somehow missed them all (fingers crossed).