Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 05-24-2013, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pottymouth View Post
Way to back peddle...lmao

Funny last week you were defending my post... make up your mind.... want me to repost it?...lol

You can't stop the lies...can you.. !
I may have agreed with one of your posts, don't remember which one. But still a small percentage.
Old 05-24-2013, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pincherguy View Post
I may have agreed with one of your posts, don't remember which one. But still a small percentage.
Not agreed ..defended...

So there goes your credibility about my posts being crap...... thanx....lmao
Old 05-24-2013, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by heretohunt View Post
One of the reasons that probably has already been stated is that on August 24 at 8:30 pm you can buy a crossbow that is already sighted in and on August 25 am you are a bow hunter.
It seems to me that the Xbow is more suited to a primitive weapons season than archery season. I think that it is easier to master the x bow than the PRIMITIVE muzzleloader. When I got my Kentucky longtom I spent a couple of days learning and reading about powders and charges and things. Then chose powder and bullets measuring devices,and building a load. I was happy to see that I could hit a grapefruit at 50 yards with a small sight adjustment. V.S. a buddy that got a crossbow permit for a disability and picked up a "good to go package" the night before the hunt. (I do realize that with modern muzzle loaders you can do this too)
Another reason to consider is when its -25 drawing and holding and aiming a bow is a whole new challenge vs the gun style weapons.

Just my observations
That's a pretty damn good observation!
Old 05-24-2013, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Not agreed ..defended...

So there goes your credibility about my posts being crap...... thanx....lmao
Still a small amount, and I don't think all your posts are crap, but mostly.
keep lyao even Hitler was right once in a while.
Old 05-24-2013, 01:49 PM

Quote:
One of the reasons that probably has already been stated is that on August 24 at 8:30 pm you can buy a crossbow that is already sighted in and on August 25 am you are a bow hunter.

Just my observations
You've got some good points in your post, but I have to challenge a couple of them:
Just like when purchasing a rifle, shotgun or handgun it is wise to spend some time familiarizing self with a crossbow, and sighting it in, and practicing - awareness of range and trajectory and variables such as wind and its effects doesn't come as standard equipment on the tool.

2nd thing: buying a crossbow or any other kind of bow (or any other kind of firearm) absolutely does not make a person a hunter! Especially not a bowhunter. I hope you are not implying that it's the tool that makes a person a hunter. I hope that if you really are 'here to hunt' then hunting is about an awful lot more than just flinging a potentially lethal projectile at a legal prey critter!

For me, picking up a crossbow came about for a couple of reasons. One is because I personally like them, they are 'cool' (personal opinion). I enjoy using them. There are many hunting situations where they excel and others where they are useless, as has already been explained well in this thread. They have their limitations - absolutely, and one needs to know and respect those limitations.
However, I picked one up when it became difficult for me to use my recurve (due to elbow problems). In saying that I'm affirming that I know what it is to bowhunt - and the principles are no different for hunting with the crossbow thus it is bowhunting, not, as potty would have us believe, a form of 'gun' hunting.
Old 05-24-2013, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Still a small amount, and I don't think all your posts are crap, but mostly.
keep lyao even Hitler was right once in a while.
Hitler killed Jews and many other people, including my family, nothing he did was right.... And I along with many others take great offence to that...

Classless.... You are loser and I'm done with you and your hitler.
Old 05-24-2013, 01:56 PM

Quote:
It seems to me that the Xbow is more suited to a primitive weapons season than archery season. I think that it is easier to master the x bow than the PRIMITIVE muzzleloader. When I got my Kentucky longtom I spent a couple of days learning and reading about powders and charges and things. Then chose powder and bullets measuring devices,and building a load. I was happy to see that I could hit a grapefruit at 50 yards with a small sight adjustment. V.S. a buddy that got a crossbow permit for a disability and picked up a "good to go package" the night before the hunt. (I do realize that with modern muzzle loaders you can do this too)
Another reason to consider is when its -25 drawing and holding and aiming a bow is a whole new challenge vs the gun style weapons.

Just my observations
Actually your observations wrong.. Many can purchase any weapon and in short order dial them in... Does this make you a Hunter ? Nope, you just got another tool, the skill to get in to your games "house" constitutes the hunting aspect, no matter the weapon we choose to hold.

Potty, you are one passionate fella, I respect this and do understand your position, but at the end of the day we all need to respect each other and have an open mind as to the progression of our sport..
Old 05-24-2013, 02:19 PM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Pottymouth and Pincherguy need a time out!
Old 05-24-2013, 02:23 PM

[QUOTE=Sledhead71;1977856]Actually your observations wrong.. Many can purchase any weapon and in short order dial them in... Does this make you a Hunter ? Nope, you just got another tool, the skill to get in to your games "house" constitutes the hunting aspect, no matter the weapon we choose to hold.

If you read the definition outlined in the regs you will see that I'm actually quite right.
My definition and your definition may be the same though. It may be that we actually agree.?
Old 05-24-2013, 02:25 PM

Quote:
[

If you read the definition outlined in the regs you will see that I'm actually quite right.
My definition and your definition may be the same though. It may be that we actually agree.?
Close enough
Old 05-24-2013, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistagin View Post
You've got some good points in your post, but I have to challenge a couple of them:
Just like when purchasing a rifle, shotgun or handgun it is wise to spend some time familiarizing self with a crossbow, and sighting it in, and practicing - awareness of range and trajectory and variables such as wind and its effects doesn't come as standard equipment on the tool.

2nd thing: buying a crossbow or any other kind of bow (or any other kind of firearm) absolutely does not make a person a hunter! Especially not a bowhunter. I hope you are not implying that it's the tool that makes a person a hunter. I hope that if you really are 'here to hunt' then hunting is about an awful lot more than just flinging a potentially lethal projectile at a legal prey critter!

For me, picking up a crossbow came about for a couple of reasons. One is because I personally like them, they are 'cool' (personal opinion). I enjoy using them. There are many hunting situations where they excel and others where they are useless, as has already been explained well in this thread. They have their limitations - absolutely, and one needs to know and respect those limitations.
However, I picked one up when it became difficult for me to use my recurve (due to elbow problems). In saying that I'm affirming that I know what it is to bowhunt - and the principles are no different for hunting with the crossbow thus it is bowhunting, not, as potty would have us believe, a form of 'gun' hunting.
I agree with you on your first point entirely and mostly on your second point. To explain a bit more clearly though, the definition of hunting that I refer to is not my opinion but the one outlined in the regulations.
On your third point-If I was ever unable to use my bow for some reason I would without hesitation get a permit for a crossbow and certainly hunt with it. That is a great rule and there is a reason for it being in place.
Old 05-24-2013, 03:47 PM

Whew. It's going to be a long summer if I have to look at this garbage at the top of the Archery Discussion until hunting season. Only about 100 more sleeps to elk season!

A couple of you need to check your ego's. This is pretty much been a decided argument save for a couple of you rabble rousers resurrecting it. This argument ( a close second to Mule Deer Draws and Outfitter Allocations) further divides the membership on this forum and has caused several folks to either leave completely or quit posting. If I was a moderator, which I have no desire to be, I would have locked this up about 20 posts ago.

I have some suggestions;

For those of you that want crossbows; quit hurling insults and hollering your indignation about it here, write letters to the AFGA, SRD, and your MLA.

For those of you opposed to crossbows; renew your ABA membership (which I immediately did) and quit posting on this thread. It will fade to the bottom if you quit arguing and feeding the other side. Please start some posts that are relevant to archery and ignore the 'noise'
Old 05-24-2013, 03:47 PM

Quote:
I agree with you on your first point entirely and mostly on your second point. To explain a bit more clearly though, the definition of hunting that I refer to is not my opinion but the one outlined in the regulations.
On your third point-If I was ever unable to use my bow for some reason I would without hesitation get a permit for a crossbow and certainly hunt with it. That is a great rule and there is a reason for it being in place.
Thanks for clarifying .

On my 3rd point, my elbow 'injury' is not severe enough to allow me to get a crossbow permit. So if I want to 'archery' hunt here in Alberta, by Alberta rules I'm SOL, so my recurve stays on the rack .

Fortunately up here we have a loooong general season so it's basically a moot point for me for hunting in home territory . I do feel for the guys who are in the same situation and can't enjoy a 'sport' they love due to archaic and somewhat 'selfish' rules that have been instituted. I hope it changes soon for their sake.

If it requires some game management changes for the good of more people to enjoy the 'sport', so be it. There are lots of opportunities across this province.
Personally I think allowing crossbows into generous archery seasons halfway through is a good and reasonable compromise. For example, if there is a 2 month long archery season, why not allow crossbows in for part of that?

I'd be very surprised if some of the anti-crossbow folks on here remain so opposed to them when they are older and feeling the effects of natural aging. I bet those fellers, when faced with loosing a good chunk of 'their' season would soon begin lobbying for more crossbow inclusion - since that would allow them to continue enjoying the very essence of bowhunting .
Old 05-24-2013, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 338Bluff View Post
Whew. It's going to be a long summer if I have to look at this garbage at the top of the Archery Discussion until hunting season. Only about 100 more sleeps to elk season!

A couple of you need to check your ego's. This is pretty much been a decided argument save for a couple of you rabble rousers resurrecting it. This argument ( a close second to Mule Deer Draws and Outfitter Allocations) further divides the membership on this forum and has caused several folks to either leave completely or quit posting. If I was a moderator, which I have no desire to be, I would have locked this up about 20 posts ago.

I have some suggestions;

For those of you that want crossbows; quit hurling insults and hollering your indignation about it here, write letters to the AFGA, SRD, and your MLA.

For those of you opposed to crossbows; renew your ABA membership (which I immediately did) and quit posting on this thread. It will fade to the bottom if you quit arguing and feeding the other side. Please start some posts that are relevant to archery and ignore the 'noise'
lol so any view opposing the views of the ABA is 'noise' eh?

makes sense. thanks for clarifying most of our general thoughts about the organization. aside from a few posts, i feel this is pretty fair and open debate on the matter that is completely relevant to the hunting community in this province. go crawl back into your hole if you dont like it. dont read the thread if you dont like it. Its a valid thread and a valid arguement from both sides. Grow a set and become involved. brushing an opposers opinion under the carpet and hoping it goes away is truly gutless and not needed from your end.

but thanks for the effort
Old 05-24-2013, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jryley View Post
lol so any view opposing the views of the ABA is 'noise' eh?

makes sense. thanks for clarifying most of our general thoughts about the organization. aside from a few posts, i feel this is pretty fair and open debate on the matter that is completely relevant to the hunting community in this province. go crawl back into your hole if you dont like it. dont read the thread if you dont like it. Its a valid thread and a valid arguement from both sides. Grow a set and become involved. brushing an opposers opinion under the carpet and hoping it goes away is truly gutless and not needed from your end.

but thanks for the effort
Your right some of you shouldn't be brushed under the carpet... We need guys like yourself, that turn the undecided into anti xgun guys, with your attitude and words.......Keep up the great work...

And thank for all the support in your PM's guys, I appreciate it.
Old 05-24-2013, 04:23 PM
Banned

Quote:
The original bow has be expanded and improved on for years. Add some wheels, then some cams. Shorten the limbs, add a stabilizer, put sights on it. Now use a mechanical release and what have you got. A bow that has been taken from a weapon that was meant to improve hunting over a spear to a mechanical device. Take a compound and turn it on its side, add a stick to help hold it, incorporate a release that is attached to the stick. What have you got? Say it with me now "CROSSBOW"
Lol

Winner winner chicken dinner!
Old 05-24-2013, 04:36 PM
Banned

Agree with posts regarding our passion.

I am totally unaffected by this, makes no difference to me if it ever is allowed...I just believe it should be, iit is an equal to today's compounds in the field but can be shot by anyone legal to hunt, a one size fits all option, it seems like a no brainer from a logical stand point. Once I learned about it I couldn't unlearn it and can't lie to myself....it is only a tool without a proper home that COULD benefit anyone in AB with a wildlife certificate....and hurt no one in the process!
Old 05-24-2013, 04:40 PM
Banned

Quote:
Do you also think that someone could buy a Savage packaged rifle and the next day become a rifle hunter? You'd have to be pretty naive to think that you can take a crossbow out of the box and start hunting with it. Just cocking it differently from one shot to the next will give you different results for goodness sakes. I've been hunting with one for +15 years and every Fall before hunting season I have to re-familiarize myself, practice, sort through which bolts (right out of the package) fly true everytime, etc, etc.

Somewhere along the line you've convinced yourself that you would be as accomplished with a crossbow as someone that practices with one and that's simply not true. It's merely another myth that gets repeated by people that know nothing about them.
Old 05-24-2013, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterDave View Post
Do you also think that someone could buy a Savage packaged rifle and the next day become a rifle hunter? You'd have to be pretty naive to think that you can take a crossbow out of the box and start hunting with it. Just cocking it differently from one shot to the next will give you different results for goodness sakes. I've been hunting with one for +15 years and every Fall before hunting season I have to re-familiarize myself, practice, sort through which bolts (right out of the package) fly true everytime, etc, etc.

Somewhere along the line you've convinced yourself that you would be as accomplished with a crossbow as someone that practices with one and that's simply not true. It's merely another myth that gets repeated by people that know nothing about them.
Please read more of what I've written then edit your post... Or not its up to you.
Old 05-24-2013, 07:12 PM

Shut 'er down. Everyone has stated their position... 17 times. Heck, even Potty has said nobody is changing their minds. Save the venom for new targets boys.
Old 05-24-2013, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistagin View Post
Thanks for clarifying .

Personally I think allowing crossbows into generous archery seasons halfway through is a good and reasonable compromise. For example, if there is a 2 month long archery season, why not allow crossbows in for part of that?
You would think that would keep people happy but it is that way here in sask and guys still complain and want them included in the first half of the archery season. The way I see it guys really want them included in archery season so they can take advantage of special archery only seasons without having to take the time to shoot a bow. This will backfire on them though. We will soon be losing our archery only seasons as numbers of hunters increase. It is looking like we may be losing our archery mule deer season in the near future as it is. If crossbows are included in the season this will only expediate the process and we will be losing opportunity rather than gaining opportunity as they claim adding crossbows will do.
Old 05-24-2013, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Your letters hold that much weight....impressive. ..

Us antis write too...
You just admitted to being anti-hunting. Wow.

Just because someone wants to use a crossbow instead of a bow, you would campaign to have that taken away because its something you don't do. That is snobbery of the first degree.

Thanks for showing me your true colors.
Old 05-24-2013, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterDave View Post
It seems to me that opinions of people in the hunting community are swaying in the opposite direction of what you think. You have to consider that at the time of the ESRD poll the ABA conducted a huge anti-crossbow campaign and the results were only 44% against and 37% for. People are better informed about them now and are aware that a lot of what they heard about them are nothing but myths. IMO that 7% difference in the poll is gone

The ABA argument against including crossbows is very thin IMO and their entitled attitude turned a lot of people off......not good publicity for the organization. They created their own divide in the hunting community with their protectionism and IMO would have been better off with a more cooperative attitude (ie crossbows for sup does or in bow zones only, etc). Their fear tactic of saying that everything would go to draw kinda backfired with the new draws that came out regardless of crossbows.

Let's face it, when you peel back all of the reasons and excuses for not including crossbows it comes down to one thing......Not wanting to share the archery season with anyone (apparently spearhunters included).
Cheers the best post yet. Not rude, very informative and strait to the point.
Old 05-24-2013, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Hitler killed Jews and many other people, including my family, nothing he did was right.... And I along with many others take great offence to that...

Classless.... You are loser and I'm done with you and your hitler.
That's funny you called me a fascist earlier in this debate?
Old 05-24-2013, 10:15 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckculler View Post
cheers the best post yet. Not rude, very informative and strait to the point.
+ 1 !!!
Old 05-24-2013, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Your right some of you shouldn't be brushed under the carpet... We need guys like yourself, that turn the undecided into anti xgun guys, with your attitude and words.......Keep up the great work...

And thank for all the support in your PM's guys, I appreciate it.
Wow this coming from you. Bahahahahahah. In that case keep fighting the good fight potty.
Old 05-24-2013, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckCuller View Post
That's funny you called me a fascist earlier in this debate?
Weird, I wouldn't use that word to describe you !

But sure I'll play show me where I used that word ???
Old 05-24-2013, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hagalaz View Post
You just admitted to being anti-hunting. Wow.

Just because someone wants to use a crossbow instead of a bow, you would campaign to have that taken away because its something you don't do. That is snobbery of the first degree.

Thanks for showing me your true colors.
Lmfao...I've been working under cover Peta for the last 20 years. You got me ! LOL

Old 05-24-2013, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckCuller View Post
Wow this coming from you. Bahahahahahah. In that case keep fighting the good fight potty.
It's not a fight, Just entertainment and I've made you the star!
Old 05-24-2013, 10:30 PM

Quote:
It's not a fight, Just entertainment and I've made you the star!
Super star lol.