Nice comparison of the three units.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1wM9PNOx37Y
Old 11-29-2021, 01:33 PM

nice comparison forsure! wish I had 4g to spare. i'd be happy with any unit LOL

YouTube:@huyfishin Fishing Videos!

Respect wildlife
Old 11-29-2021, 02:00 PM

Good comparison.

If I was in NW Ontario I can see huge benefits, in Alberta, not so much. YMMV.

Last edited by JohninAB; 11-29-2021 at 02:09 PM.
Old 11-29-2021, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohninAB View Post
Good comparison.

If I was in NW Ontario I can see huge benefits, in Alberta, not so much. YMMV.
They are amazing in Alberta!
Overkill on price. So glad I got mine on a big sale but still a ton of $$$.
Old 11-29-2021, 02:40 PM

I fish with the Lowrance ActiveTarget and have since last January. It's been a super valuable tool to say the least.

I used both a 9" Elite FS and HDS Live last winter and was great on both. In my boat I have HDS Live units networked so it can be seen on any unit. My wife likes it so much that she wants her own for her side of the boat.

I fish Walleye and Lake Trout in Alberta and don't want to fish without it.

NOTE: They are power hungry so make sure to get an auxiliary battery to run them and not only on your cranking battery. In winter, I'm upgrading this year from a 23ah to a 30ah to get a full day out of one battery.
Old 11-29-2021, 06:59 PM

Good video. As someone who has logged countless hours ice fishing with a LiveScope, I can see some errors in his testing. But the gist of it looks pretty accurate to me.

Garmin still looks to be the overall leader. LiveScope just flat out works. Less interference, better stitching. I just feel like the LiveScope is the set it and forget it live imaging option. And the fact that it has the smallest transducer is a win when you're trying to fish down the same hole as your LiveScope. Now if they could just get their $#!t together on mapping I'd be all in with them.

I know exactly what Jay means when he says Lowrance's unit is the sharpest. Fish look more like a fish on Active Target than LiveScope (HB just looks wrong to me in videos I've seen). Very importantly, it's easier to tell how a fish is reacting on Active Target than LiveScope...think it's more like an underwater camera. Even the stitching has been much improved since release. But the horrendous screen tilting he refers to as twitching really sinks Active Target for me. Some days the bottom in down view just yaws back and forth like a teeter totter. I'm waiting for more ice to take advantage of my mapping to see if I want to stay with Lowrance or not.

This is the best video I've seen of Mega Live. It actually looked comparable to the other two. It did look to have the best bottom separation of the three, so there's that. Otherwise, not much to really pique my interest unless I was already fully invested in HB. That 'ducer is goofy large too. I'd rather have a black box that that any day.
Old 11-29-2021, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willowtrail View Post
I fish with the Lowrance ActiveTarget and have since last January. It's been a super valuable tool to say the least.

I used both a 9" Elite FS and HDS Live last winter and was great on both. In my boat I have HDS Live units networked so it can be seen on any unit. My wife likes it so much that she wants her own for her side of the boat.

I fish Walleye and Lake Trout in Alberta and don't want to fish without it.

NOTE: They are power hungry so make sure to get an auxiliary battery to run them and not only on your cranking battery. In winter, I'm upgrading this year from a 23ah to a 30ah to get a full day out of one battery.
Thanks willow that's good info. Gotta be a good unit in the winter when dead still. I'm leaving mine in the boat and going with a flasher but if I ever really settle on a honey hole I'll take the time to rig up my elite 9. They are deadly.
Old 11-30-2021, 08:09 AM

No one seems to appreciate the older generation of panoptix (ps22) which is half the price, and does the same thing. Just a little less detail and more interpretation required. The sharp image of all those live units won’t make you that much of a better angler? Change my mind.
Old 11-30-2021, 08:31 AM

We anglers are spoiled by choice these days. Technology that was unheard of only a few years ago is now at hand.

I watched the comparison as well and there are benefits and downsides to each brand, just like in everything else. Great news is that the consumer can pick what will work best for them.

SS

YouTube: Harder Outdoors
Instagram: @harderoutdoors
FB: HarderOutdoors
Old 11-30-2021, 03:33 PM

Can't wait till the price comes down on those units. Will definitely be buying one, one day.
Old 11-30-2021, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppa View Post
Can't wait till the price comes down on those units. Will definitely be buying one, one day.
I wish that is the case. But Iphone and samsung keep getting more expensive LOL Tesla has a new phone being released with Starlink satallite internet built in with even more monthly fee's

I don't think its gonna make it go down.

Its just a R&D race and everything is getting more expensive. Plus inflation.

YouTube:@huyfishin Fishing Videos!

Respect wildlife
Old 11-30-2021, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyTheory View Post
No one seems to appreciate the older generation of panoptix (ps22) which is half the price, and does the same thing. Just a little less detail and more interpretation required. The sharp image of all those live units won’t make you that much of a better angler? Change my mind.
Quite a bit less detail and definitely more interpretation required. Panoptix also has a much larger dead spot on the bottom which sucks if you're fishing bottom huggers like walleyes. But Panoptix does have better range in forward view if you're hunting for fish. It's not a bad system, but once you get up in that price range I think most people just spring for LiveScope. You can always watch YouTube videos and see what's best for you.
Old 11-30-2021, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuyFishin View Post
I wish that is the case. But Iphone and samsung keep getting more expensive LOL Tesla has a new phone being released with Starlink satallite internet built in with even more monthly fee's

I don't think its gonna make it go down.

Its just a R&D race and everything is getting more expensive. Plus inflation.
I agree. I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for these systems to come down in cost. I think the Big 3 are all pretty happy charging $4,000 for these setups currently. What I'm sure does get them salivating is the prospect of planned obsolescence and the ability to make a small, incremental change, discontinue support for the current units, and then charge even more for the new ones.
Old 11-30-2021, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbertanGP View Post
I agree. I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for these systems to come down in cost. I think the Big 3 are all pretty happy charging $4,000 for these setups currently. What I'm sure does get them salivating is the prospect of planned obsolescence and the ability to make a small, incremental change, discontinue support for the current units, and then charge even more for the new ones.

Maybe Eyoyo will come out with live sonar and drive the price down…

YouTube: Harder Outdoors
Instagram: @harderoutdoors
FB: HarderOutdoors