Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 09-26-2020, 03:32 PM

Default low point drains for winterizing a RV

I have a new to me Jayco trailer.

I watched several video's on how to winterize the tanks/plumbing.

Every video shows two seperate valves or plugs to remove for the tanks before starting the process.

I can see on the side of the trailer the labels for "low point drain" on two spots. One label for the fresh and one label for the hot water I'm guessing?

Either way when I get under the trailer at these two points, there are only 2 tubes coming down, but no valve or plug to remove??

Am I missing something?

I have a little valve inside the trailer by the fresh water tank that I can pull to drain the fresh water tank. This valve is inside the trailer and looks like its at the low point of the fresh water tank.

I can also remove the plug for the hot water tank itself.

Do I use the little fresh water valve drain and remove the plug for the hot water tank on this trailer?
Old 09-26-2020, 03:56 PM

If they’re open ended tubes there must be valves above them, likely behind some cupboards. I’d look inside the trailer for those valves
Old 09-26-2020, 04:02 PM

One of my trailers had the valves behind a small panel that had the low point drain sticker on it. Check for an access panel near the low point stickers.
Old 09-26-2020, 04:21 PM

found them thanks.
Old 09-26-2020, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by treeroot View Post
found them thanks.
That's good but just out of curiosity where were they.
Old 09-26-2020, 04:42 PM

Don’t forget after you drain the hot water tank to close the valve so when you run Rv antifreeze or blow out your lines you bypass the tank.
Old 09-27-2020, 06:02 AM

I learnt this little pia saver.Get a plastic drink,water bottle emt,cap on .So it's squeezeable[not hard].In your toilet,that dump valve,is a notorius leaker,after winter.So when you do all your final flushes,.You put the soft plastic bottle with the cap on .In the valve,before it closes.What that does,is the winter .There always seems to be condensation .Warm days,cold nights.Freese in that sliding trap door,creating frost[freezeing.This was told to me by a camping rv store,thats been around for 40 years in calgary.I do this every year.Never had the surprise after doing this..Another thing ,blow your lines out 40psi air.then dumpa cup of anti freese in all of your p traps..
Old 09-27-2020, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
That's good but just out of curiosity where were they.
Fresh water tank is the one I already mentioned.

Hot/cold lines from the heat and the ones that drain the bathroom were under the bathroom sink.
Old 09-27-2020, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallieho View Post
I learnt this little pia saver.Get a plastic drink,water bottle emt,cap on .So it's squeezeable[not hard].In your toilet,that dump valve,is a notorius leaker,after winter.So when you do all your final flushes,.You put the soft plastic bottle with the cap on .In the valve,before it closes.What that does,is the winter .There always seems to be condensation .Warm days,cold nights.Freese in that sliding trap door,creating frost[freezeing.This was told to me by a camping rv store,thats been around for 40 years in calgary.I do this every year.Never had the surprise after doing this..Another thing ,blow your lines out 40psi air.then dumpa cup of anti freese in all of your p traps..
I always dump some antifreeze in the toilet and leave it there. Supposed to keep that seal lubricated. No issues so far.
Old 09-27-2020, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregT View Post
Don’t forget after you drain the hot water tank to close the valve so when you run Rv antifreeze or blow out your lines you bypass the tank.
Great tip! The RV antifreeze can foul the hot water tank pretty quick I'm told.
Old 09-27-2020, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newguy View Post
Great tip! The RV antifreeze can foul the hot water tank pretty quick I'm told.
We took a unit in on trade that they put antifreeze in their hot water tank for winterizing last year and then never used the trailer nor dewinterized it. The funk that came out of it when the tech dumped the hot water tank was almost unbelievable.
Old 09-27-2020, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbiddy View Post
I always dump some antifreeze in the toilet and leave it there. Supposed to keep that seal lubricated. No issues so far.
x2....no issues with the toilet....
Old 09-27-2020, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbiddy View Post
Times 3
Every couple months I will do a check and if it is low I just add a bit more to top it up....if your seal is old it may leak.
- older 6x fixed scopes with fine X or target dot.