Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 10-01-2010, 12:44 PM

Default Ice auger help

I need to get a gas powered auger... My back cant do the manual auger anymore. I have an opportunity to get an Eskimo 8" auger. Anyone know if these are decent? I've always wanted a Jiffy... but at the same time I don't have 400-600$ to drop. If anyone has any opinions or ideas, please share!
Thanks
Old 10-01-2010, 01:21 PM

I have an eskimo 8" 1.5 HP from Costco from XMAS 2007 for like $189 or so....and it starts on first pull, cuts well, light weight and I love it. Ya everyone who can afford one loves te jiffy but they start and run rough for while when mine starts first pull and use it every weekend.
Old 10-01-2010, 01:29 PM

Excellent. Thanks for the info. Thats the exact one I will hopefully be getting...
Old 10-01-2010, 01:37 PM

Only thing is....last year I think it was $269, but still good bang for the buck. Many will say under powered.....but at spray with the 30" roch hard ice....still drills holes fine if you keep the blades sharp. In fact...those who have ice fished with me know I like to drill a lot of holes, and with the light weight and easy start....i'll still stick with my eskimo. Actually, I went fishing with a guy with jiffy and it took 20 minutes to start, 20 more minutes to drill the first two holes, then it ran and cut good for the dozen holes we drilled (3hp 10" drilled 10 holes in record time). Then on the last one it stopped, he tried and tried to get it running....took another 30 minutes. All the while I watched and said nothing and I was catching fish after fish. HAHA...it was a new jiffy too. He got it running again, then drilled a few more holes before the plastic gear box flew apart lol. He was ****ed. He retired from ice fishing for the year ha ha. Poor guy. Next time we'll take the eskimo.
Old 10-01-2010, 01:43 PM

Costco has it on there website for 299 this year
Old 10-01-2010, 01:48 PM

Second question: Whats the best way to sharpen the blades? I've seen the little hand thing but I heard that it is bad for your blade... It wont last long. Whats the best way to sharpen besides replacing the blades themselves?
Old 10-01-2010, 01:50 PM

I take them to this place. $8 a sharpen (if you are in calgary). Unless you abuse it, the blades should last at least one season without the need for sharpening.

Carbide Saw Service Calgary 6527 Bowness Rd NW, Calgary
(403) 288-4142
Old 10-01-2010, 02:57 PM

Default sharpening

Also western saw in calgary, 8 bucks as well just off mcknight...I have had them done for the last 2 seasons..next day return as well.
Old 10-01-2010, 04:30 PM

If only I lived in Calgary... Just kidding. I hate Calgary (No offense to you Calgarians out there) I just can't handle big cities like that. Thanks, but I think I will have to look for somewhere closer to home.
Old 10-01-2010, 07:17 PM

I find the new jiffy' just need a little fine tuning and tweaking on there carbs. I took mine out the first time. Had the rough start and run. Second time brought out the screwdriver. Been running well for the past 2winters. Aswell as a first pull start on the first outing. It's a great auger. Iv heard excellent things on the Eskimos too.
Old 10-01-2010, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ice View Post
I find the new jiffy' just need a little fine tuning and tweaking on there carbs. I took mine out the first time. Had the rough start and run. Second time brought out the screwdriver. Been running well for the past 2winters. Aswell as a first pull start on the first outing. It's a great auger. Iv heard excellent things on the Eskimos too.
I also got the Jiffy STX PRO II last year. I went out about 50 times last year. Full days with anywhere from 40 to 80 holes drilled per outings.

I was fishing with last year when it dipped to -50 C with wind chill and it started no problem. Though I kept the power head in the heated Clam.

You can always get the new Jiffy Pro 4, Propane Powered!!!

http://www.jiffyonice.com/EComStore/...40,3664,46.htm
Old 10-02-2010, 04:50 AM

Got a Eskimo Mako 8" from costco last winter $299 Runs great one pull. Did break the thumb throtle tho its made of plastic. Eskimo sent me a new one, with in 4 days I got it. Might throw a 10" auger on it this year as it has plenty of power. I recomend it to any one. just dont buy from other places they charge too much like $350 or more, Costco is the place. Waiting for there tents to come out this year, they had some good deals last winter.
Old 10-02-2010, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitarplayingfish View Post
Second question: Whats the best way to sharpen the blades? I've seen the little hand thing but I heard that it is bad for your blade... It wont last long. Whats the best way to sharpen besides replacing the blades themselves?
Very easy if you have a belt sander.
1) put on a fairly dull belt and get a margarine tub of water.
2) with belt sander on lowest speed sharpen angled side of blade only.
3) Use very light pressure and short times dipping the blade into water every few seconds. KEEP BLADE COLD! If you over heat the blade it will soften it and ruin it.
You want to sharpen with the belt traveling towards the blade, same as a knife so you dont get an ugly burr.
DO NOT sharpen the flat side of the blade. If there is a burr just run it flat across a stone enough times to remove the burr.
Old 10-02-2010, 10:20 PM

My buddy has an Eskimo & it's been good for him. Actually he's on his second one because his first one suffered a broken cord retractor which is all plastic & virtually non-repairable. He didn't want to waste any time waiting for replacement parts so he just went out & bought another one! Must be nice to be single lol. I have a Jiffy Model30 which has worked well enough for me but it needs constant maintenance. Kinda like a race car; when it's running good nothing can touch it but the rest of the time you're running around with a screw driver in your pocket
Old 10-03-2010, 04:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikester View Post
My buddy has an Eskimo & it's been good for him. Actually he's on his second one because his first one suffered a broken cord retractor which is all plastic & virtually non-repairable. He didn't want to waste any time waiting for replacement parts so he just went out & bought another one! Must be nice to be single lol. I have a Jiffy Model30 which has worked well enough for me but it needs constant maintenance. Kinda like a race car; when it's running good nothing can touch it but the rest of the time you're running around with a screw driver in your pocket
you shouldnt constantly be going at it with a driver. if your constantly re tuning your engine. running it leaner then what its used too. or what its been doing for a few years. can be really hard on it. reducing performance and ultimatly. making alot harder to run. when you find what works with your auger. Run that. and when it seeems to be struggling. Run a slightly less Mix. And i mean Slightly!!! If it gets better. that could mean your lines are starting to get clogged or gelled*. try not to retune your engine as much as possible it can be harder on it then not. if not. it could be a number of things. this is just your basic. of what is more common. Dont be changing your engines settings all the time. Especially on an older engine (And Often not).
Im guessing you know what your doing. but this is for referance on the people that dont know so much. It can be a number of things. but just because it dosent sound right. dosent mean it needs a fuel adjustment
You Can Wreck Your Engine. Easily.

Just making myself Clear.

Ice

Last edited by ice; 10-03-2010 at 04:39 AM.
Old 10-03-2010, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikester View Post
Broken cord retractors are the norm with the 8 inch Eskimo auger. I know I have one. 4 holes and it broke brand new. Order 3 or 4 of them and you should be good for a season. They are all plastic......
Old 10-11-2010, 05:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flygirrl View Post
Broken cord retractors are the norm with the 8 inch Eskimo auger. I know I have one. 4 holes and it broke brand new. Order 3 or 4 of them and you should be good for a season. They are all plastic......
If you buy from Costco, they have a good return policy. A new auger every week. LOL.
Old 10-11-2010, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubba 96 View Post
Also western saw in calgary, 8 bucks as well just off mcknight...I have had them done for the last 2 seasons..next day return as well.

Bubba, do you have the address for this location or can you specify it in detail like the intersection between Mcknight and XXX?

Thanks
Old 10-11-2010, 10:27 AM

http://www.costco.ca/Browse/Product....A&Sp=C&topnav=

Shove your masks and your vaccines
Non Compliance!!!!!!
"According to Trudeau, Im an extremist who needs to be dealt with"
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

The vaccine was not brought in for COVID. COVID was brought in for the vaccine. Once you realize that, everything else makes sense.” ~ Dr. Reiner Fuellmich
Old 10-11-2010, 07:54 PM

Every auger has it's advantages.....
My 15 year old Jiffy 30 has been absolutely trouble free,made of all metal and the blades last forever. It is heavy and requires maybe six pulls on a bad day.
Need to put some downward force on it to make the 10"er cut too,a lot of force!
My year old Eskimo Shark(10"and biggest motor available) awed me initially with how effortlessly it cut. The big motor has amazing power and no force needed to cut,just hang on. The bad? Even with the best blades made for the Eskimo they are pretty fragile compared to the old Jiffy blades,avoid any dirt or sand.
My carb died on the Eskimo with only low hours too and was replaced under warranty.....gotta say their warranty service was A+ tho.
All the new augers are plastic everything it seems so I don't know how durable they are going to be.
All in all I am very glad I hung onto my old Jiffy.....it has never let me down.
The jury is still out on the Eskimo,Time will tell!
Old 10-11-2010, 07:59 PM

Oh and whoever said size doesn't matter lied!
Once you use a 10"er. (ok that just does not sound right) you will not want to go back.....LOL
Old 10-13-2010, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funfishing View Post
Bubba, do you have the address for this location or can you specify it in detail like the intersection between Mcknight and XXX?

Thanks
This looks like it, I'll be checking them out as well, a lot closer to home than Bowness.

Western Saws Alberta Ltd
2-1303 45 Avenue NE
Calgary, AB T2E 2P3

http://maps.google.ca/maps?f=q&sourc...,+Alberta&z=13
Old 10-13-2010, 04:44 PM

Those from Costco come with extra blades. $299. right to your door step
Old 10-14-2010, 10:43 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitarplayingfish View Post
I need to get a gas powered auger... My back cant do the manual auger anymore. I have an opportunity to get an Eskimo 8" auger. Anyone know if these are decent? I've always wanted a Jiffy... but at the same time I don't have 400-600$ to drop. If anyone has any opinions or ideas, please share!
Thanks
I got one for a hundred bucks from a forum member , just like new , only thing wrong was the pull rope mechanisum was broken , replaced that for 50 bucks walla like new again , drills holes slick and fast , NOW LISTEN to what l,m going to tell you.
WITH all augers not just the eskimos , you must treat them with gentle hands.
NEVER HEAVE HOE ON THEM , QUICK YANKS , OR MUSCLE PULLS , you will break the pull mechanisum right off , you must gently pull the rope till the piston is at the top of the cylinder , you can feel it , then with a gentle pull , just bending the elbow , pull the rope , dont use your shoulder or body , just bend your arm at the elbow and give a quick gentle pull , this is where most augers are broken by overkill pulls ,
BUY IT , there great if used gently,
Old 10-15-2010, 06:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimboy View Post
I got one for a hundred bucks from a forum member , just like new , only thing wrong was the pull rope mechanisum was broken , replaced that for 50 bucks walla like new again , drills holes slick and fast , NOW LISTEN to what l,m going to tell you.
WITH all augers not just the eskimos , you must treat them with gentle hands.
NEVER HEAVE HOE ON THEM , QUICK YANKS , OR MUSCLE PULLS , you will break the pull mechanisum right off , you must gently pull the rope till the piston is at the top of the cylinder , you can feel it , then with a gentle pull , just bending the elbow , pull the rope , dont use your shoulder or body , just bend your arm at the elbow and give a quick gentle pull , this is where most augers are broken by overkill pulls ,
BUY IT , there great if used gently,
You hit the nail on the head.
Old 10-15-2010, 07:23 AM

If you have a bad back, get a light one like a Husqvarna or Nils Master. They are both about 2/3 the weight of a Jiffy. The husky has their own engine, and the Nils has a Tanaka engine. Both very dependable and easy starting. I have had a Nils for over 20 years and not a lick of trouble.
Old 10-31-2010, 02:16 AM

i am more than agree with u Kim473! did exactly opposite of what u wrote and pulled the cord right out :
rope just ripped... not sure if it was me pulling too hard or rope got a litle weak and worn (there is a copper guide ring that could cause friction ) i fixed it on the ice.... (was -20 and i swore even more than usually do lol) but damaged the recoil spring... over tentioned it when rebuilding...
one great thing about those augers is that u can take it apart and put it back together using only screw driver and a 10 mm wrench...

never used jiffy auger probably never will...
one think i would recommend when buying Eskimo is to grease the cord. i user a regular bearing grease... just pull the cord out and get someone to hold it for u. grease it GOOD and start it 2-3 times... wipe the excessive grease off =))

my 2 cents

G
Old 10-31-2010, 06:23 AM

I would not use grease but maybe a silicone spray maybe jigaloo just my thoughts. Grease is too dirty and dirt will stick to it over time. Before spraying anything try it on a piece of rope. I never did anything to mine last year and no problems. Just dont over pull! Its just a small single cyl engine. And dont jerk it, pull slow till it gets to compresion stroke then a firm short pull. This applies to all small engines and augers. Saw a nieghbor this last summer with a brand new lawnmower, first use! Pulled cord right out.

Last edited by Kim473; 10-31-2010 at 06:32 AM.