Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 10-05-2011, 05:28 PM
Banned

I've heard of quite a few axis' coming with the Simmons scope. You seem well informed but if you were wrong on the Simmons thing I'd say that you should concider the possibility that the scope on his gun might not be a Sharpshooter. I've seen a few different scopes on the 111 package over the years that were never advertised as being included on the Savage web site so I'd say its deffinatly possible he has somthing else.
Old 10-05-2011, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal View Post
I've heard of quite a few axis' coming with the Simmons scope. You seem well informed but if you were wrong on the Simmons thing I'd say that you should concider the possibility that the scope on his gun might not be a Sharpshooter. I've seen a few different scopes on the 111 package over the years that were never advertised as being included on the Savage web site so I'd say its deffinatly possible he has somthing else.
x2 when I bought my 111package it was advertized bushnell at the time and mine came with a simmons blazer.
Old 10-05-2011, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal View Post
I based my info on an interview with the designer of the a is who said they won't have a Simmons scope on the (the prototypes did) because bushnell bought Simmons. It seems some old stock of Simmons did make it on though.

Like I said, if he can describe or post a picture of the scope I'd like to identify it.
Old 10-05-2011, 06:35 PM

Does it matter if a low end Bushnell or an equivalent low end Simmons made it on the gun?

The Axis\Edge for the money will put alot of food on the tables for a lot of families......

Seems to be more a case of someone making statements and wanting to be proven right....or wanting to be proven wrong.....

LC
Old 10-05-2011, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
Does it matter if a low end Bushnell or an equivalent low end Simmons made it on the gun?

The Axis\Edge for the money will put alot of food on the tables for a lot of families......

Seems to be more a case of someone making statements and wanting to be proven right....or wanting to be proven wrong.....

LC
No. The correction was made to someone who said they came with banners. The banner is a $90 scope and not comparable to the $20 class of scope that actually comes with it.
Old 10-05-2011, 10:13 PM

My apologies, I stand corrected. didn't look like the picture you first linked to... The guy told me it was a banner as well. My bad!
Old 10-05-2011, 10:38 PM

I have had a lot better groupings with my axis than I ever did with my 111 in 270. And really it doesn't matter what scope comes on them cause everyone changes them out anyway.

Andy
"I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain."
Old 10-05-2011, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGBADJOHN View Post
I own this Rifle I really like it , nice and light Scope came off instantly , only bad thing I have to say is that the mounts were loose when I got them took a little tightening . But shes good to go and is now grouping 5 shots and a quarter covers the grouping at 150 yards off a bench rest . I got the 308 . The one thing I also found is that rifle sure does not like the Federal ammo . So I went back to old faithful Hornady Custom . Im very happy with my new rifle .
I hear you there
all the ones I sell i remove the scope ,rings and bases ,locktight retorq and bore sight.

havent had any complaints about the rifles yet
Old 10-06-2011, 02:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureshot View Post
I have had a lot better groupings with my axis than I ever did with my 111 in 270. And really it doesn't matter what scope comes on them cause everyone changes them out anyway.

Andy
Well, on the Savage Shooters forum there is a consensus that the 111 is slightly more accurate. Regardless, accuracy is not the Axis' problem. It's appearance, removed features, and quality.
Old 10-06-2011, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGH View Post
I picked up an axis package in .270 about 2 months ago. I've sighted it in and took it sheep hunting last week. No luck with the sheep, but the rifle is light and easy to carry - especially backpacking up a mountain for four days straight. One thing I noticed is that if you put a bi-pod on it then it will greatly throw the gun of balance (front heavy) because the stock is hollow. I don't think there is a better set-up for the price. The scope is pretty basic, but it works fine up to 200 yds. I will likely be replacing it but I'm in no rush.
You trusted that cheap ass 20.00 dollar scope on a 4 day backpack sheephunt???????????????????????
Old 10-06-2011, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1899b View Post
You trusted that cheap ass 20.00 dollar scope on a 4 day backpack sheephunt???????????????????????
you betcha. my shot groupings at the range were the same as from my tikka t3 in 300wsm with a burris scope on it. i don't shoot past 200/250 yards...if i did, i would use a different set up and practice a lot more at longer distances. the axis is out of the box accurate. not much point in blowing my hard earned cash on a scope that will get me the same results as the one the axis came with (i.e. a kill shot). but if it makes you feel any better, it will probably be put it on my 10/22 ruger and i'll pick up a different scope when a good sale comes on
Old 10-06-2011, 03:20 PM

Quote:
you betcha. my shot groupings at the range were the same as from my tikka t3 in 300wsm with a burris scope on it.
Duh. It's a simple pointing device.

The difference is in the quality. That cheaply made POS can and will break under recoil. It's just a matter of time. The problem is that you may not know when this has happened...until you pull the trigger on an animal and it doesn't hit.

There are also obvious optical and low-light differences but hey, if you have visual impairments I guess it wouldn't matter to you
Old 10-06-2011, 03:47 PM

I don't think anybody can tell 1 person or another that anything they own is a pos! Doing so says a lot about ones character! i have 1 of these bushnell sharpshooters on my .303 quad gun and it's been bumped,dropped and i can hit a loonie at a hundred yrds 8 out of 10 times ! probably fired 800 rounds since it's been on! the whole set up replacement cost is 'who the hell carers"!I have shot savages all my life and these guns are shooter's period! If amany is happy with what he has let him be happy!when someone makes you god you can judge away! just my rant take it or leave it! have agood day!
Old 10-06-2011, 04:41 PM

Quote:
I don't think anybody can tell 1 person or another that anything they own is a pos! Doing so says a lot about ones character!
No. Some things really are just poorly manufactured garbage.
Old 10-06-2011, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by savage shooter View Post
No. Some things really are just poorly manufactured garbage.
Just wondering if you wrote to savage and told them this ? And where did you come up with $20! If they were not doing there job every review would be all over it! Sit beside me at the range with 1 out of the box and show me what yours can do that this won't! let's say we split on the rifle and auction it off on this site and donate the procceeds to a charity! I bet there would be lot's of bids after they see how they shoot!
Old 10-06-2011, 05:17 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by savage shooter View Post
Duh. It's a simple pointing device.

The difference is in the quality. That cheaply made POS can and will break under recoil. It's just a matter of time. The problem is that you may not know when this has happened...until you pull the trigger on an animal and it doesn't hit.

There are also obvious optical and low-light differences but hey, if you have visual impairments I guess it wouldn't matter to you
I probably wouldnt take the scope on a wilderness hunt myself but I wouldnt criticize someone else for doing it. In my past experiences with Bushnell they have been pretty tough, even the cheaper ones. People can slam them for their glass, their customer service and whatever else but I've put a few Bushnells through absolute hell and have never had one go out of zero. Never had one this cheap though.
Old 10-06-2011, 06:07 PM

Default Good Listening

Edit: look at me replying to the wrong post!

Sigh.

-Billy Currington (People are crazy)

Currently retired from hunting due to injury, but looking to get back on the wagon in 2020. Up in Yellowknife and missing my Alberta home big time.

This is the kind of thinking we are up against, vote Conservative this election!

Full Thread: https://imgur.com/a/y7RARBC
Old 10-06-2011, 08:18 PM

Savage is well aware that the $20 oem scope is not quality. They really don't need anyone to tell them that.

To the person who issued me a challenge, sure. As I said though the issue isn't with accuracy, it's with optical quality and build quality.

Reviews of the sharpshooter seem to show it WILL break and lose it's point of impact anywhere between 2-100 rounds. If your challenge includes dropping the rifle a few times and taking say 100 rounds with about 19lbs of recoil then sure, you're on.

There's a reason most people change these scopes immediately. They're worth the price premium they command (virtually nothing).

Anyone who doesn't have the experience to know that their $20 oem scope is not quality is hardly worth discussing optics with.
Old 10-06-2011, 08:37 PM

I would take that for a challenge if we both do exactly the same to each rifle! The sharpshooter i have on my .303 is dead on after over 800 rounds andI agree optical wise better money should be spent1 I have seen this package and the simmons first hand and while not optimal I believe this package is more than capable for someone who pumps 200 rounds out a year! As for what you said about taking recoil i returned 3 leupold in 2 years becuase the lost there zero after 20 rounds on my .300 short mag! I finnally now only use bushnell 3200! I just hate when people thro something they deem pos because either they read something about it, or they think big money means better! And where does it state this scope is worth $20 because they are not even for sale!
Old 10-06-2011, 08:56 PM

Well my Axis package worked great today to drop a deer. He didn't care what the scope was worth. lol

Andy
"I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain."
Old 10-06-2011, 11:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureshot View Post
Well my Axis package worked great today to drop a deer. He didn't care what the scope was worth. lol

Andy
lets see lets seee!!! I was thinking of buying a Savage Axis tomorrow for a throw behind the seat varmint gun for when im hunting big game
Old 10-07-2011, 12:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1shotwade View Post
I would take that for a challenge if we both do exactly the same to each rifle! The sharpshooter i have on my .303 is dead on after over 800 rounds andI agree optical wise better money should be spent1 I have seen this package and the simmons first hand and while not optimal I believe this package is more than capable for someone who pumps 200 rounds out a year! As for what you said about taking recoil i returned 3 leupold in 2 years becuase the lost there zero after 20 rounds on my .300 short mag! I finnally now only use bushnell 3200! I just hate when people thro something they deem pos because either they read something about it, or they think big money means better! And where does it state this scope is worth $20 because they are not even for sale!
The value is indicated by the price of the combo package...

Note: I've had two of these scopes. One on my 111 and one on my Axis. They're both broken.
Old 10-07-2011, 01:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberta Bigbore View Post
lets see lets seee!!! I was thinking of buying a Savage Axis tomorrow for a throw behind the seat varmint gun for when im hunting big game
Here they are mike.

Andy
Old 10-07-2011, 01:52 AM

bought a savage 111 pkg with a bushnell e-cheapo on it, worked some loads up for it and it shot waaaay better than i ever thought was possible with a $350 gun. The gun/scope/bases/rings worked great until i missed my suffield elk @ 75 yrds because the e-cheapo rings loosened off, but its ok i only had to wait 8 years to get drawn.........

.......i put a leupold VX3 2.5-10x50 with leupold bases and rings on it.
Old 10-07-2011, 11:02 PM

Just got home from Cabelas.... and can oddly say.. im the new owner of a Savage Axis in .223 , I bought this with intention of being a throw behind the seat kinda gun.. pack it on the big game hunts etc etc.. something that can take a beating and not make me cry

But i bought the Cabelas Exclusive model of Axis.. stainless/winter Camo.. i will say the combination between Stainless and white paint with stick and limbs on it ... is very sharp

The Bushnell Sharpshooter will be removed when i pick up some new glass for this Ugly Lady

It was a toss up between the T/C Venture in Winter Camo, and the Axis.........as I was on my way down there.........but... when I handled both... the Savage Axis fit so well it was disgusting ! The TC Venture didnt fit me or shoulder very well... and the bolt was sluggish. The Axis bolt is hideous to look at.. but cycled super smooth.

Ill post some pics in a bit if i get a chance... very excited to see if it shoots like people say
Old 10-08-2011, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Just got home from Cabelas.... and can oddly say.. im the new owner of a Savage Axis in .223 , I bought this with intention of being a throw behind the seat kinda gun.. pack it on the big game hunts etc etc.. something that can take a beating and not make me cry

But i bought the Cabelas Exclusive model of Axis.. stainless/winter Camo.. i will say the combination between Stainless and white paint with stick and limbs on it ... is very sharp

The Bushnell Sharpshooter will be removed when i pick up some new glass for this Ugly Lady

It was a toss up between the T/C Venture in Winter Camo, and the Axis.........as I was on my way down there.........but... when I handled both... the Savage Axis fit so well it was disgusting ! The TC Venture didnt fit me or shoulder very well... and the bolt was sluggish. The Axis bolt is hideous to look at.. but cycled super smooth.

Ill post some pics in a bit if i get a chance... very excited to see if it shoots like people say
Congrats on the new purchase! I saw that snow camo edition but i didn't like the stainless scope...but it does look sharp. I agree that its a very comfortable gun when shouldering and the hand grip has a nice pistol style feel to it. Let us know how the sighting in goes and how much you had to adjust the scope.
Old 10-08-2011, 08:04 AM

Quote:

If I could make a suggestion on factory ammo to purchase.....pick up either the yellow box (might be green/white now) UMC (Remington) 45 gr JHP OR the Winchester "White box" 45gr JHP ammo and you will likely not have to worry about buying any other kind. This works great in my Savge Weather Warrior in .223, is fairly fur friendly and cheap to shoot.

LC
Old 10-08-2011, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGH View Post
Congrats on the new purchase! I saw that snow camo edition but i didn't like the stainless scope...but it does look sharp. I agree that its a very comfortable gun when shouldering and the hand grip has a nice pistol style feel to it. Let us know how the sighting in goes and how much you had to adjust the scope.

Yeah..... The Bushnell scope is gross.....ill be breaking the barrel in as is..... But at the end of the month I'll put Burris Zee signature rings on it... And either a Redfield Revolution 4-12x40mm or a Nikon Coyote model.............. haven't decided if I will send either or away for winter camo dipping yet ........might just keep them black matte
Old 10-08-2011, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
If I could make a suggestion on factory ammo to purchase.....pick up either the yellow box (might be green/white now) UMC (Remington) 45 gr JHP OR the Winchester "White box" 45gr JHP ammo and you will likely not have to worry about buying any other kind. This works great in my Savge Weather Warrior in .223, is fairly fur friendly and cheap to shoot.

LC
Picked up a couple boxes of Winchester whitebox jhp...... That was the whole reason behind this purchase..... super fun cheap to shoot throw behind the seat varmint gun. who can complain at $19 for 40 rounds of .223?