Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 04-01-2018, 08:06 PM

Default Boat Launch Fees

I'm curious if anyone in Athabasca County has noticed any fee/cash boxes installed over the past few years at lakes with county-maintained boat launches. One went up late last summer at the south end of North Buck Lake; it's an honor system looking for $5 per launch. In the case of this particular launch, maintenance appears to consist of putting the county-owned dock in (adjacent to the launch area) during the spring and pulling it out in the fall. The launch itself has been in a sad state of disrepair for 5+ years.
Old 04-03-2018, 02:42 PM

There was one at Amisk Lake last year when I was there. But not sure what the money goes to bc the so called “washroom” had no toilet paper and was full and very dirty.
Old 04-03-2018, 05:43 PM

Default honor system

Quote:
it's an honor system looking for $5 per launch.
never heard of that but what the heck anything for a buck
Old 04-03-2018, 05:46 PM

County maintains the roads to the launches as well, it all costs.

Thomas Sowell
Old 04-05-2018, 08:24 PM

I doubt it will ever pay for itself - the install of the post and box, plus sending a seasonal employee out to pick up the cash. The short road to the launch off the main, paved road has been graded less than once per year in the last 5 years or so, and the local community association cleans/maintains the toilets.
Old 04-06-2018, 06:19 AM
Banned

I happily pay a fee at a boat launch; I'm glad there are boat launches. I personally hate roller bunks.

The cost is less than that of the sandwich I picked up in town and that 'seasonal' employee is getting paid no matter what chore (s)he is performing.

$30.oo for a carved out spot in the woods with no fire wood/pit or services really chokes me.
Old 04-10-2018, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freedom55 View Post
I happily pay a fee at a boat launch; I'm glad there are boat launches. I personally hate roller bunks.

The cost is less than that of the sandwich I picked up in town and that 'seasonal' employee is getting paid no matter what chore (s)he is performing.

$30.oo for a carved out spot in the woods with no fire wood/pit or services really chokes me.
Personally I'm not against paying for the launch but I do believe we already have a more efficient system for collecting that money.

When I fill up my vehicle to go to and get back from the lake I will have given the Gov't about $33.50 in gas taxes etc. Which should be more than enough to cover the cost of the launch (which I personally think should be included in our roads and infrastructure).

If it's not enough raise the gas tax .00001 cent and you will have way more than enough. This would be faster and way more efficient for all involved. (The big question is how do you stop politicians from robbing it to use on some other pet project like flying around I private planes or building stupid penthouses for them selves.)