Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 12-12-2011, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonnie View Post
it may kill if you do your part but then so does a lot of small cartridges. but the argument was that the 7.65x 39 was on a par with 30-30.
I was mainly argueing the designed to wound part, and the numbers on paper between those two are close with an slight advantage to the 30-30 yes but not enough to say one is a far better cartridge.
Old 12-12-2011, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogslayer403 View Post
I was mainly argueing the designed to wound part, and the numbers on paper between those two are close with an slight advantage to the 30-30 yes but not enough to say one is a far better cartridge.
not sure about the 7.65x39 cartridge but the factory loads are underloaded do to the amount of older and design of the guns that use it such as the 1894 winchester but good bolt action you can realy step it up if you reload
Old 12-12-2011, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonnyJ View Post
I won't argue 30-30 vs 7.62x39 but like you said...shot placement is the key.

Think I might take my old SKS up the treestand next fall just for giggles..

Mind you my shots would be no more than say 40-50 yards.

Crap,now I can't wait till next hunting season..
if your shots are that close it should work out quite well I use to have a 351win self loading witch is a 35cal and short stright case looked almost like a pistol shell a graet 60-70 yard gun it hit with a good smack but at 100 yards it seamed a little sick but it sure wuold have been graet for the type of hunting your talking about, short and light rifle.
Old 12-12-2011, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtlewolf View Post
To clear up a bit of false information here:
1: Yugo SKS do not have a chromed barrel (no local source)
2: 1949 Russian SKS do not have chrome bore but they are only ones that have a spring on the fireing pin
3:Russian Izhevsk factory only made SKS in 1953/54
4:1949 and some early 1950 Russian's had spike bayonets
5:No parts except the bore were ever chromed on any SKS unless it was cerimonial
6:Russian SKS were marked on the front sight base with a 1/2/3 after refurb to show test accuracy with 1 being best
7:the stamped reciever/pinned barrel Chinese look like hell but shoot very well although they seem very uncommon in Canada
8:any story of a heart shot deer running any distance turns on my bull**** meter and gets ignored as such
The SKS functions and works.
Period.
Cheap junk? Have a look at your fancy $1500 deer rifle in it's plastic furniture, flimsy trigger springs, plastic floorplate or stamped and you realize that the SKS is actualy put together better than most new bolt actions on the market today and will still be functioning when that $1500 POS has long since died.
Cheers
You still have some false info here:

1: Yugoslavia had huge chromium deposits,some of the largest in Europe. They decided chroming of rifle bores was not needed.

2: The sprung fireing pin was in use until late 50/early 51 at Tula

6: The numbers were the journal size of the barrel for installing the sight base
Old 12-13-2011, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodbeef View Post
You still have some false info here:

1: Yugoslavia had huge chromium deposits,some of the largest in Europe. They decided chroming of rifle bores was not needed.

2: The sprung fireing pin was in use until late 50/early 51 at Tula

6: The numbers were the journal size of the barrel for installing the sight base
Quote your source please on the Yugo barrels. As for the spring on the fireing pin, that one is up for debate but I know of people with nice 1950's that certainly show no evidence of a spring ever being installed. And the number on the front sight base was sourced from very reputable surplus rifle sites so please quote your proof about that as well.
cheers
Old 12-13-2011, 07:25 PM

I had a SKS and hunted with it. It is a fine gun I was able to take a deer at 150yard. I regret selling it.
Old 12-13-2011, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timsesink View Post
They're fun for just plinking around, however they feel cheap, are cheap and aren't super reliable. I'd save up a bit and go for a M14 Norinco. However for pure shooting fun and price you can't beat them.
I went to cabelas ready to buy one but when I held one it definitely felt cheap,but heard good things from the mini m14!!!

WTB snow goose decoys
Old 12-14-2011, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtlewolf View Post
Quote your source please on the Yugo barrels. As for the spring on the fireing pin, that one is up for debate but I know of people with nice 1950's that certainly show no evidence of a spring ever being installed. And the number on the front sight base was sourced from very reputable surplus rifle sites so please quote your proof about that as well.
cheers
Just google "chromite deposits in yugoslavia" you'll see how much they have and exported over the years. They never used chrome in the bores until the M70.

Are these 1950 Tula's refurbs or non-refurbs?

As for the journal sizes,AKs use the same system also. The info on them is out there.
Old 12-14-2011, 08:48 PM

I find the $140 is almost worth it just for the fun of seeing how fast I can completely disassemble and reassemble the whole thing, the only tool needed being a bullet.
Old 12-15-2011, 04:35 AM

Quote:
not even close 30-30 has more power. 30-30 is classed as a 200yard gun max. this is becuase of the rainbow trajectory as its 20 inches low at 300 yards but still more than enough to kill a 200 pound deer at 300yard. 7.65 x39 is designed to wound 160 lb. man.

Actually, factory ammo to factory ammo the 7.62x39 is superior to the 30-30 down range beginning at approximately 100 yards due to the superior bullet design. A pointed bullet like the 7.62 retains more velocity and energy down range than does the flat point bullet common in a 30-30. I run Hornady 124gr poly tip rounds through mine and they perform quite well down range. I still like my Marlin 30-30 but I would have no issues hunting deer with my SKS either.
Old 12-15-2011, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by q-tip View Post
Actually, factory ammo to factory ammo the 7.62x39 is superior to the 30-30 down range beginning at approximately 100 yards due to the superior bullet design. A pointed bullet like the 7.62 retains more velocity and energy down range than does the flat point bullet common in a 30-30. I run Hornady 124gr poly tip rounds through mine and they perform quite well down range. I still like my Marlin 30-30 but I would have no issues hunting deer with my SKS either.
You realize of course that the 30/30 runs higher velocity all the way across the board in any bullet weight than the 7.62X39?
The amount of down range advantage is moot when you look at the usable ranges and bullet weight of both.
Cat
Old 12-15-2011, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by q-tip View Post
but how well does a 124gr bullet work on a moose compared a 170 gr flat nose bullet for deer 124 gr my work all good enough but where I'm from a 30-30 is a quite popular deer, elk, moose & black bear gun. and every one is debating weather the 7.65x39 is good enough for deer then some say its as good as the 30-30 I don't think so.
Old 12-15-2011, 06:44 PM
Banned

Quote:
yes the sks was designed to wound. a dead soldier has no cost a wounded one Tye's up man power and a lot of other resources and that's how you win a war. that's also why they use full metal jackets. and your right I would not want to get shot with one but better that, than a bullet from 30-30 look at the ballistics of both and speed and foot lbs at 100yards 200yards and 300yards.
Lonnie,

I have to disagree.

I understand that there is a benefit in wounding vice killing in war but the rifle itself and the round were not designed per se to wound any more that the 5.56 we use was.

Yes... both rounds will tend to wound more than kill than many others in a military context but both are also being loaded with ball ammo and not a hunting soft point.

And that is the chief difference...a round that doesn't fragment when it hits soft tissue.
Old 12-15-2011, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pesky672 View Post
Lonnie,

I have to disagree.

I understand that there is a benefit in wounding vice killing in war but the rifle itself and the round were not designed per se to wound any more that the 5.56 we use was.

Yes... both rounds will tend to wound more than kill than many others in a military context but both are also being loaded with ball ammo and not a hunting soft point.

And that is the chief difference...a round that doesn't fragment when it hits soft tissue.
agree abuot mil. ammo but the 7.65x39 was not intend to be a big game hunting round & neither was the 5.56
Old 12-15-2011, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by young gunz View Post
I went to cabelas ready to buy one but when I held one it definitely felt cheap,but heard good things from the mini m14!!!
Sure they feel cheap, 100 bucks and I totally changed mine its a new gun. sure the mini is a great gun but I would rather spend the $950 bucks else where. so far for my sks im into it for $215 for the gun itself, $109 for my tapco stock, $40 for my scope mount, $59 for my bipod, a minimal cost for my scope (the .22 needs a new one) And its a great gun could not be happier with the money iv spent. I cant wait till I can put the squeeze on a deer with it. its to bad that you have changed your mind on one. If you know someone who has an sks, or anything else with a tactical stock on it hold i, shoot it and you will be heading out to buy one of your own the next day. trust me cant go wrong with one of these. And like a guy from my work says "when the zombie apocolypse happens im glad I have 3 of em"
Old 12-16-2011, 08:49 AM

160 gr leverevolution from my mod 94 will outperform 7.62 commie on game. But I bought an SKS recently because I wanted one and I like it.
Old 12-26-2011, 08:59 AM

Sa vz. 58 Sporter CARBINE 7.62 x 39 mm technical specification:
Caliber 7.62 x 39 mm
Muzzle velocity 670 - 700 m/s (2198 - 2296 f/s)
Number of grooves in barrel 4
Overall length of rifle with stock extended 755 mm
Overall length of rifle with stock folded 545 mm
Barrel length 300 mm
Length of sight line 265 mm
Extent of rear sight from 100 to 800 by 100 m
Width of rifle 59 mm
Height of rifle with magazine 170 mm
Practical rate of fire 40 shots/min.
Maximum range of fire 2,500 m
Lethal effect of projectile 2,500 m

Weight of rifle (without magazine) 2.97 kg
Weight of rifle with loaded magazine 3.65 kg
Weight of empty magazine 0.19 kg
Weight of full magazine 0.68 kg
Trigger pull 2.5 - 2.7 kg (24.5 - 26.5 N)

Um ??? what can I say lethal for what? wet tissue paper?
Anyone want to try moose hunting at 2.5 Km with this?
Are they fun to shoot,h,e,bbl hockey sticks yeah. can you hunt with them, I think they fit the bill for short range work.
I think the Norinco M305 would lend themselves to hunting better than the 58's or the SK's
Just my 2 cents
Oh and to stir it up a little more I will drive almost anywhere in Alberta to buy a beer,latte` Mojito for the rifleman(woman) that can accurately hit a target with the 7.62 X 39 at 2.5Km's
Guy Fawkes and his companions
Did the scheme contrive,
To blow the king and parliament
All up alive!
Eat, Drink, and be merry for tomorrow we shall surely die
Certified tinfoil hat wearing redneck.
Old 12-26-2011, 09:31 AM

Smile I love mine!

I got one and as much ammo as the kid at the store to carry out to the truck.

It is great, I put a cheap scope on it because I couldn't see the front sight and the target. I can hit a windshield washer container at 200M and I think that is just fine for the coyotes.

I was concerned about the possibility of a slam fire, didn't want that so I bought the made in the USA new firing pin with a spring and installed it my self! If I can do it any one can!

So now it is even better than before, and it is fun to shoot, cheap too.

Oh and by the way, it does not get as dirty after shooting as I was told it would. It just never quits. After all it beat the master race!
Old 01-29-2012, 09:43 AM

Default Sks

Quote:
Originally Posted by timsesink View Post
They're fun for just plinking around, however they feel cheap, are cheap and aren't super reliable. I'd save up a bit and go for a M14 Norinco. However for pure shooting fun and price you can't beat them.

This guy evidently knows very little about sks rifles.. Ive owned my chinese model with spike bayonet and a chrome lined barrel (extremely durable) for about 3 yrs now. Yeah it has a crude finish to the receiver and the chinese wood stock isnt the most desireable, but kid you not, that thing will always fire when u need it too. Give it a very good cleaning when you get home with it and your sure to have one hell of a fun cheap plinker that beats all those itty bitty rimfires. Read up on them. They are very interesting rifles.. And while youre at it, read up on the mosin nagant ad svt rifles if you enjoy a little russian history and with that... Im ordering another sks tonight taa taa
Old 03-27-2012, 03:20 PM

Default Scared or scarred?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunner72 View Post
I noticed I have what looks like a bad scare in the top of my rifling about 2/3 the way down the barrel. Is that kinda thing common in these guns or is it just my luck? I had a buddy pick it up for me in red deer so i never got to really check it out. How good of a group can you guys get them to shoot at say 100 yards? Or maybe even 50 if 100 is to far to be accurate?
If you notice a scare in your rifling it might be because it is loaded. LOL!
Old 03-27-2012, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf308 View Post
whats the problem hes giving his opinion grizz! everybodies so #itchy on this site
i feel the same way,crap,junk waste of time. the triggeres on them skss are the ships , save your money and buy something accurate,
The Yugo SKS I used to have could cut a half-inch diameter pipe in half at 25 yards, within five rounds.

I sold it a few years ago, for which I am kicking myself for now, but they can be excellent shooters out to 100. I'm wanting a .22mag next, but after that I may pick up a Ruskie for gopher and coyote thumping.
Old 03-28-2012, 09:27 AM

Default Yooper John

Since this thread keeps getting resurrected an nobody has mentioned it yet, I thought I'd add this here link for a shipload of SKS info:

http://yooperj.com/

About as reputable a source as you could ask for, with more info on the SKS than you could possibly want.
Old 04-04-2012, 03:54 PM

Cheap, fun to shoot and powerful (compare with other small caliber). It's my trunk gun.
Old 01-25-2013, 02:55 PM

Default Cheap like borscht but mods can get expensive if you dont shop around

As the man says they are cheap like borscht. I purchased a 53 Russian Simonov a while ago from west Rifle. It was delivered to my door for $235. It was in very good condition and packed in grease.
As far as day to day shooting goes I take mine apart and clean it after a day at the range. I have put about 500 rounds of cheap, early 1970’s vintage ammo through it and I have had one round not feed properly. And I’m pretty sure that was my fault. IMO opinion it’s a very reliable rifle but you won’t be shooting like Vassili Zaitsev with it.
If you are looking to modify after the fact look to the US for part purchase. If you can get the parts from the US you can save a lot of money. A good way to tell if the part is legal in Canada is seeing if you can find it advertised for sale in Canada at a licensed dealer. It is not worth it to get in trouble over an illegal part. Do your homework.
A note of caution about changing out any of the original parts
The Russian (Simonov) and Chinese (Norinco) SKS’s are quite similar but there will be tiny differences in the size of parts. These vary depending on which factory they were built in. And sometimes there are differences in part sizes even if they came from the same factory. There is quite a bit of difference between the Yugo’s and the Russian/Chinese SKS’s.
The Chinese purchased their factory equipment to make their SKS’s from the Russian’s.
I am not sure on the history of the Yugos. Perhaps someone who knows can post a reply. Thanks in advance.
Before you buy an aftermarket part do some research to see if it has been used on your model of SKS.
If you want to learn about gas powered rifles this is a very cost effective way to get started.
Be prepared it can be a lot more work than just throwing a Tapco stock kit on it. You’ll be reading through a lot of blogs and going through more install steps then the manufacturer includes in the box. In my experience most aftermarket manufactures do not have very good instruction sets.
Hope this helps you out. Good luck.

Last edited by Dwayne; 01-25-2013 at 03:01 PM.
Old 01-25-2013, 06:05 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by densa44 View Post
I got one and as much ammo as the kid at the store to carry out to the truck.

It is great, I put a cheap scope on it because I couldn't see the front sight and the target. I can hit a windshield washer container at 200M and I think that is just fine for the coyotes.

I was concerned about the possibility of a slam fire, didn't want that so I bought the made in the USA new firing pin with a spring and installed it my self! If I can do it any one can!

So now it is even better than before, and it is fun to shoot, cheap too.

Oh and by the way, it does not get as dirty after shooting as I was told it would. It just never quits. After all it beat the master race!
It did not come out until after the master race was defeated. You have it mixed up with the Mosin Nagant, SVT40, and PPSH.
Old 01-25-2013, 08:31 PM

Holy necrothread batman!!!!! LOL

I love my SKS, just wanted to throw that in there for some relevance to the thread
Old 01-25-2013, 11:48 PM

How to do a trigger job
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cryTM...WSnBZA&index=1
Old 01-26-2013, 12:33 AM

I am not sure what is Yugo SKS, but it looks same as zastava M77B1 and if it is same gun
I would love to own one.
Old 01-26-2013, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trooper View Post
I used to own a few one made by Norenco and the other made in the soviet union. They're nice to play with but stay away from the scope/ dust covers. the problem with these is when you strip the rifle to clean it, you remove the dust cover and in so doing you ruin the rifle's zero. (I had a leapers scope affixed to mine and I was shooting the occular lense on the scope fell out of position!) I took the scope back to Mil arm in Edmonton and they refused to refund the thing. However they did let me take the scopes value in merchandise out of the store. Another thing about that cartridge, It's now legal to hunt big game in Alberta with a 7.62x 39mm provided you use an expanding spitzer bullet! Don't do it! The spitzer bullet, a 123gn weight, in the hunting load doesn't have the energy to kill a deer. I had a friend shoot a big buck from 60 meters last fall. he placed 5 rounds into the animal and we tracked it for 270 yards it was still alive when I put a .308 into it. I was pretty disgusted with that.
The sks is probably going to be the best $200 you will ever spend. Everybody should own a sks. The only reason their $200 is because they were mass produced and there are millions of them, not because they are built cheap or poor quality. An sks is built like a tank and has to be one of the top SHTF weapons out there. With cheap Surplus ammo available everywhere you will not find a better Priced centerfire rifle that you will have as much fun with for the same cost as an sks. Are they the most accurate guns out there? Hell no they were made to shoot minute of man... Realistically maybe around 4 MOA. If it took someone 5 shots to drop a deer at 60 meters, then they have no business shooting at a deer. A friend of mine fills his tags every year with his sks as long as he keeps the max range to 150 yards or so it's a dead deer. Ballistically it's very similar to the 3030 but the 3030 has the advantage in being able to shoot heavier bullets. You can get 123-125 grain as well as 154 grain soft point hunting bullets in 7.62x39.BTW Don't change the free-floating firing pin to a spring loaded one as long as you keep it clean and lightly lubed you won't have a slam fire
Old 01-26-2013, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwm1273 View Post
It did not come out until after the master race was defeated. You have it mixed up with the Mosin Nagant, SVT40, and PPSH.
Not exactly. It appears to have seen limited/trial use in the dying days of WW2 on the Eastern front.
http://suite101.com/article/the-mili...he-sks-a128720