Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 09-23-2010, 12:10 PM
Banned

Default where to go.....

so we had intentions of giving goat pond a shot by canmore. but just talked to a guy at wapiti in canmore who said he would probably stay away from there. said if we want lakers try spray right by the boat launch. Now for those who dont know i have a hesitation about spray from the last time we went out there. what are some other options in that area without too much of a venture because if the fishing is a bust after a while i am going to take the lady shopping in banff. there is the bow but what else? or does any one know how spray is over by the launch?
Old 09-23-2010, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braun View Post
so we had intentions of giving goat pond a shot by canmore. but just talked to a guy at wapiti in canmore who said he would probably stay away from there. said if we want lakers try spray right by the boat launch. Now for those who dont know i have a hesitation about spray from the last time we went out there. what are some other options in that area without too much of a venture because if the fishing is a bust after a while i am going to take the lady shopping in banff. there is the bow but what else? or does any one know how spray is over by the launch?
I think It's "Grotto Pond" thats just outside Canmore? Anyway i had always had some luck there. The 2 little stocked ponds at the Quarry have always produced something. Both are close by, drop her off in Canmore and have yourself some fun there as they are right around town area.
Old 09-23-2010, 12:30 PM

Spray by the launch = lost tackle. Lakers in minnewanka...
Old 09-23-2010, 01:16 PM
Banned

ya i thought about minnewanka too but i need to get a national licence. but it would be awesome to go there. I am assuming that there is no ice fishing on minniewanka? spray lakes is just a headache for me over all.
Old 09-23-2010, 01:34 PM

Unfortuantly Minnewanka closed for fishing after the Labour Day long weekend.

Won't be 'open' again until the May long weekend.

You could try Gap Lake, Grotto Mtn pond (both on the 1A highway) & Quarry pond (just before the Canmore Nordic Center).

Also, the 'lake' right beside the Nordic Center (not sure what it is called - is it Canmore's drinking water reservoir ?) - has some nice brown trout - caught a beauty last fall on a sinking Rapala.

Took a picture and sent him back for next time.

Cheers
Old 09-23-2010, 01:45 PM
Banned

really? i was unsure if there were fish in there. i had always wondered though. Anyone know what that "lake is called? and where is quarry pond? tiger, do you have a pic of your beauty
Old 09-23-2010, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireTiger View Post
Unfortuantly Minnewanka closed for fishing after the Labour Day long weekend.

Won't be 'open' again until the May long weekend.

You could try Gap Lake, Grotto Mtn pond (both on the 1A highway) & Quarry pond (just before the Canmore Nordic Center).

Also, the 'lake' right beside the Nordic Center (not sure what it is called - is it Canmore's drinking water reservoir ?) - has some nice brown trout - caught a beauty last fall on a sinking Rapala.

Took a picture and sent him back for next time.

Cheers
The Quarry has two ponds right? The bigger one holds all the Arctic Grayling and a coule hundred yards away is the smaller one (dog park) that holds the little browns. Is that what you mean by the one by the Nordic Centre?
Old 09-23-2010, 02:58 PM

Boat and trolling/spinning gear = Spray

Casting flys or fly fishing = Grotto
Old 09-23-2010, 03:44 PM

I've only seen one "lake" at Quarry Lake Park (which has grayling)!! The one before the Nordic Centre (also don't know the name) is the reservoir - I think that might be Goat?

P

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren N View Post
The Quarry has two ponds right? The bigger one holds all the Arctic Grayling and a coule hundred yards away is the smaller one (dog park) that holds the little browns. Is that what you mean by the one by the Nordic Centre?
Old 09-23-2010, 03:51 PM

Hi guys,

Yes - that's the one - I have only tried the 'bigger' pond (to the left of the dog park) and have caught many Grayling on spinners, very small spoons and in the fall a bobber with different 'nymphs' such as Prince or San Juan Worm about 1 foot below the bobber. (lot's of dry fly action there as well).

I've never tried the smaller pond Darren - so it has Browns in it ?

Braun - I don't have the picture - my buddy has it somewhere (he only carries an 'old school' instamatic when we go in case it drops in the water).
The Browns were about 15 - 16 inches long and 'pretty chunky'.

But we were just to 'the left' (just before) the 'pumphouse' beside the highway (Smith Dorrian Trail). We could see them crusing close to shore.

Also if you continue walking along the top (away from Canmore) the reservoir really 'narrows' - (so Quarry would be to your left down the hill) - in there we saw lot's of Whitefish.

Then at the far end it 'opens up' again - no luck at that end. (at least on that day).

Cheers
Old 09-23-2010, 04:14 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireTiger View Post
Hi guys,

Yes - that's the one - I have only tried the 'bigger' pond (to the left of the dog park) and have caught many Grayling on spinners, very small spoons and in the fall a bobber with different 'nymphs' such as Prince or San Juan Worm about 1 foot below the bobber. (lot's of dry fly action there as well).

I've never tried the smaller pond Darren - so it has Browns in it ?

Braun - I don't have the picture - my buddy has it somewhere (he only carries an 'old school' instamatic when we go in case it drops in the water).
The Browns were about 15 - 16 inches long and 'pretty chunky'.

But we were just to 'the left' (just before) the 'pumphouse' beside the highway (Smith Dorrian Trail). We could see them crusing close to shore.

Also if you continue walking along the top (away from Canmore) the reservoir really 'narrows' - (so Quarry would be to your left down the hill) - in there we saw lot's of Whitefish.

Then at the far end it 'opens up' again - no luck at that end. (at least on that day).

Cheers
hmm i think i am confused which pond you are talking about. is this the highway up towards spray/goat from canmore? actually greyling is a fish on my bucket list so you actually have my attention rivetted. email me to help me figure out which lake is which if you can. 7.braun@gmail.com i will reply intantly
Old 09-23-2010, 04:54 PM
Banned

ok so i think i have figured it out if someone willing to look it over to see if i got the lakes straightened out. here is a google map pointing out the different lakes in the area and labeling them according to things said about the ponds in this thread. is it right?

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UT...4f6f62c00b2485
Old 09-24-2010, 07:24 AM

The smaller dog park pomd near the Quarry (within walking distance) has either browns or cutts in them, i cant remember (even after being there this summer and catching some- getting old with the memory). None the less the google map may specify it.
Old 09-24-2010, 09:19 AM

Hi Braun,

I also made a map for you.

I have pointed out Quarry Pond (contains the Grayling), and the 'Res' (Browns & Whitefish).

I've not been to the 'little' Quarry pond, and Goat Pond is much futher up the mountain/Smith Dorrian Trail.

Cheers
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Quarry.jpg (40.8 KB, 76 views)
Old 09-24-2010, 10:47 AM

Quarry Lake (Quarry Lake Park - dog park) ONLY has Grayling in it (used as brood stock for the rest of Southern AB)! It used to have Rainbows or cutts (defineitly NO WHITE FISH), but just Grayling now (not sure if any of the bows/cutts are still in there, but possible)! And had a different name 20 years ago (Mine Lake #? - or something like that, before it was turned into Quarry Lake Park - that's when it was stocked with bow/cutts).

Goat Pond (or Lake) is the one Way up above Canmore b/c "Goat Creek" flows into it (actually goes into the narrower section that you menitoned before going under Ha Ling and into the lake/pond - it's the one that is right up against the gravel road that you see all the cars parked along - as this is were people that climb at Grassy Lakes or East End of Rundel park their vehicles. The one in between (below Grassy Lakes & directly across from the Nordic Centre is the one I'm curious about - don't what that one is called!!

By the way, I was married at Quarry Lake Park in August and needed to buy a permit to do so, so I am 100% sure of what I'm talking about when it comes to that one. I'm Almost 100% sure Goat Pond/Lake is correct, as well as I've biked and skied along Goat Creek a lot so it make s logical sense! The one across from the nordic center (the reservoir)?! Who knows!!

P

Last edited by ÜberFly; 09-24-2010 at 10:53 AM.
Old 10-28-2010, 12:08 AM

Actually the little "dog park" pond has brookies in it. They seem to all be small and stunted