Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 10-18-2010, 10:14 AM

Default How is Waub fishing?

I am heading out to Waubamun next weekend but I haven't fished it all summer. Is it best for pike near the pier in town still or should I be going elsewhere first? How are they biting?
Thanks!
Old 10-18-2010, 11:11 AM

Wab is a bit slower but still steady. I like the grassy area just west of the plant on the north side and the point (Fallis) a bit further down on the North North/West side.
Old 10-18-2010, 03:31 PM

Was out there last Wednesday. I have only fished this lake twice, went for about two hours. Between two of us we caught 7 pike. One small guy, then 6 pounds, two just over 9 pounds, two 12 pounds, and one 16 pound 11 ounces. They were hitting fairly steady. Not sure how good that is for this lake, but the 16 pound 11 ounce was my largest fish ever. So needless to say I was happy and hope to get back out again soon.
Old 10-19-2010, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sems View Post
Was out there last Wednesday. I have only fished this lake twice, went for about two hours. Between two of us we caught 7 pike. One small guy, then 6 pounds, two just over 9 pounds, two 12 pounds, and one 16 pound 11 ounces. They were hitting fairly steady. Not sure how good that is for this lake, but the 16 pound 11 ounce was my largest fish ever. So needless to say I was happy and hope to get back out again soon.
That's pretty steady and the size of what you caught is not uncommon for Wab. There will be 30% or more fish that you catch that will be be "nice" ones. I have fished few other (pike) lakes where this happens. Most (other) lakes are full of hammer handles and the "occasional" bigger one. The fish are simply just much bigger in Wabamun.

When it's hot - you will catch a 5-10 pike every hour all day long. I am not kidding.

My favorite pike spot.
Old 10-19-2010, 12:51 PM

Thanks for the info.
I'll post how I do next week.

Congratulations on the new big fish personal best!
Old 10-27-2010, 01:00 PM

Waub was very, very slow last weekend. I think the fish are going into winter mode. We only caught two and had a total of four "bites". Even the ones we caught were probably snagged by the lip - they definitely weren't aggressive and we just felt slight taps. This seemed very unusual for this lake and for pike.
Old 10-27-2010, 01:29 PM

do you need a boat for out there, or can u fish from shore with good results?
Old 10-27-2010, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maclennanchris View Post
do you need a boat for out there, or can u fish from shore with good results?
A boat will get you out to some very productive drop offs, grass patches and areas that you can't just park the truck and walk to. A boat is a HUGE plus on a lake that size.
Old 10-27-2010, 02:39 PM

I was out on the weekend as well and very very slow..... landed two had three or four more bites... only way i could hook up was to let a jig dangle over the boat and they would just tap at it...
Old 10-27-2010, 06:31 PM

I have fished wab for the last month and its not slow if you know where to fish. Unfortunately im telling my spot. I can tell you me and my boys dont count a fish unless its 10lbs plus, we have caught maybe 15 of those guys over the last 4 weeks. Our biggest is 19.

We are averaging any where form 20-50 pike per day with 2-3 guys in the boat if you count fish under 10 pounds.
Old 10-29-2010, 08:31 PM

Got a few the last long weekend. Its pretty dead for now. Wait tell the hardwater !!
Old 10-29-2010, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Safety D View Post
Got a few the last long weekend. Its pretty dead for now. Wait tell the hardwater !!
The only thing dead is the fisherman. I only saw 2 other boats last weekend and 1 was going out when i came in at 4. Plenty of good fishing if you take the time to find them
Old 10-30-2010, 10:01 AM

while it's not the easiest fishing right now, it only gets better from now till ice; if you're looking where you look in the spring / summer, you're lookin in the wrong place
cheers