Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 10-22-2010, 12:03 PM

Default favorite fly reel

What is your favorite fly reel and why?
Old 10-22-2010, 12:16 PM

Orvis Battenkill mid-arbor. You won't find it at Canadian Tire, but not too pricey. Solidly built, lots of stainless steel, smooth, nice adjustments. Orvis generally makes pretty good stuff. Doesn't look like some of those outerspace large arbor designs. Has a traditional look. Just feels quality without paying $500. Perfect match for my Sage rod.
Old 10-22-2010, 12:22 PM

Personally if I had money to spend on a nice reel I would. I have a basic Martin reel for now set up with TFO rod, but top quality fly line. For me at this stage of fishing unless I'm tackling a big pike or walley, my reel is nothing but a fancy flyline holder.
Old 10-22-2010, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren N View Post
Personally if I had money to spend on a nice reel I would. I have a basic Martin reel for now set up with TFO rod, but top quality fly line. For me at this stage of fishing unless I'm tackling a big pike or walley, my reel is nothing but a fancy flyline holder.
I DO agree that if you have a limited budget, the reel is what you should go cheap on. Have good line and a good rod. But if you have a choice of reels and a bit of money, I like mine. Should last until I'm gone.
Old 10-22-2010, 12:41 PM

Your inquires are EXTREMELY subjective!! Opinions are like Azz holes, everybody's got one LoL!!

I own 2 Bauer MSL's and 4 Orvis Battenkill LA's (2 older models, 2 new models)... One of the Bauer's I won and the other one I bought with an extra spool for $150 (they are almost $500 retail), the Orvis' I purchased online when the Orvis store had them on sale and then sent them to my wife's parents who winter in Arizona to save the outrageous extra handling fee that Orivs charges on Canadian orders (to protect the local shops). Good value, but like most reels (not the Bauers or Islanders) are made off shore so quality can be inconsistant. As well as a Snowbee "cartridge" reel that was also very good value as it comes with 5 cartridges so you can load them up with a variety of lines...

With the exception of the Snowbee (specifically used as my big fish reel - pike bullies, salmon, etc.), one of the most important factor with these reels are their light weight).

I have also heard that Islander (made in Canada) reels are very nice (but pricey)... As are Hatch, (made in the US I think) but they are REALLY heavy IMO.

If your inquiry was to research a reel to purchase, there are a number of things to look for and questions to ask - for example are you using it for fresh or salt water, disc drag vs. click & pawl vs. rim drag - all have advantages and disadvantages depending on the size and species of fish you are fishing for and how much $ you are willing to pay, what material they are made from - machined aluminium vs forged vs carbon or plastic and probably the most important is how they balance your rod and casting style, as well as, lifetime UNCONDITIONAL warrantee!!

My motto is - life is too short to drink cheap beer and crappy coffee! In other words, get the best gear that you can afford as quailty will ALWAYS save you $ in the long run (and in the case of drinking beer and coffee, drinking the good stuff is always more enjoyable - but I'm a snob when it comes to both coffee and beer, so I'm slightly biased !!)!

Hope this info is helpful!

P

Last edited by ÜberFly; 10-22-2010 at 12:55 PM.
Old 10-22-2010, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ÜberFly View Post
Your inquires are EXTREMELY subjective!! Opinions are like Azz holes, everybody's got one LoL!!
Yet you proceed to offer a large number of opinions, confirming the simile. Good thing there was no subjectivity in yours. LOL
Old 10-22-2010, 01:06 PM

Why do you think I "prefaced" my post! LoL!!

P

P.S. Maybe it should have read, "answers to your inquires will be extremely subjective"!! :P
Old 10-22-2010, 01:08 PM

Old 10-22-2010, 01:13 PM

Of course that's a quality (dark) brew the emoticons are celebrating with!!

Last edited by ÜberFly; 10-22-2010 at 01:27 PM.
Old 10-22-2010, 01:20 PM

I have quite a few reels from days gone by but my favorites are the teton's.
Precision, durability, simplicity etc. They also went broke in 2008 i believe.
Very high quality, a little expensive and not mass produced. They are being resurected by another co.(tetonusa)maybe ? I don't think they are quite the quality as they once were. Tioga was there cheaper line up previously. Too Bad.
Old 10-22-2010, 01:35 PM

Islander..... use it once and it put all else to shame......
Old 10-22-2010, 03:35 PM

Default 10 out of 10

my fav of all time hands down is the okuma helios. it reels fast, the drag is primo and easy to adjust while fighting a fish, it looks good, and my price for reels-spools is about 0ne third of the sticker price at wholesale

they should have one on the cover of the alberta fishing regulations EVERY year.
Old 10-22-2010, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutpirate View Post
my fav of all time hands down is the okuma helios. it reels fast, the drag is primo and easy to adjust while fighting a fish, it looks good, and my price for reels-spools is about 0ne third of the sticker price at wholesale

they should have one on the cover of the alberta fishing regulations EVERY year.
I got same reel. Love it. Dropped many times. Even if it's damaged (bended), you can still bend it back to shape. Works perfect.
Old 10-22-2010, 08:36 PM

Bought a Redington AS 5/6 weight several years ago and it has stood the test of time. So I searched ebay for a while and bought another one for by back up rod. Have lots of spools as well and I just think it's a great product that unfortunately is no longer made. Very well made and a smoooooooth drag. Rick.
Old 10-22-2010, 09:22 PM

My old trusty cheap click-drag daiwa. Had it for 12 years now, used it for trout and average pike, perch, whitefish, etc. It was my 3rd fly reel ever. I opened it up to grease it last year for the first time, and it looked the same as brand new. So no need to buy a new one
Old 10-22-2010, 11:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark View Post
Islander..... use it once and it put all else to shame......
X2

I also think Ross reels rock, now owned my 3M (Scientific Anglers)
Old 10-23-2010, 05:01 PM

Okuma magnitude gets my vote. Well built, light (made of magnesium), smooth drag and decent capacity being mid arbor. I own it in the 5 6 weight and the 7 8. Have managed everything up to about 14 pound salmon on the 5 6 weight and it still comes back for more. It is under a hundred bucks (usually around 80) and the spools are around thirty to forty.
Old 10-23-2010, 05:32 PM

I love my Hardy Angel 2 4/5 wt. Bought at WS a few years ago. Expensive, but well worth it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Reel.jpg (79.7 KB, 36 views)
Old 10-23-2010, 10:00 PM

If I had a nickel for every hack at the drving range with 3000 dollar golf clubs, Id be a rich man. Fly reels are in the same vein....you can have the latest and greatest technologies, but they won't make you a better flyfishermen. With the exception of trophy hunters who need a reel with souped up drag systems, I wouldnt waste my money on an obscenely priced reel. Lets be honest, how many of you can tell stories where a trout smoked your fly reel leaving you with a handful of cork and hurt feelings? Probably not too many, even including all you Bow fisherman. But I digress, I have an old G-Loomis adventure series and shes never steered me wrong .
Old 10-23-2010, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by highwood View Post
If I had a nickel for every hack at the drving range with 3000 dollar golf clubs, Id be a rich man. Fly reels are in the same vein....you can have the latest and greatest technologies, but they won't make you a better flyfishermen. With the exception of trophy hunters who need a reel with souped up drag systems, I wouldnt waste my money on an obscenely priced reel. Lets be honest, how many of you can tell stories where a trout smoked your fly reel leaving you with a handful of cork and hurt feelings? Probably not too many, even including all you Bow fisherman. But I digress, I have an old G-Loomis adventure series and shes never steered me wrong .
This is why I started this thread. Although I'm in the market for an Islander I was hoping I could unearth a golden-oldie that maybe I could purchase on ebay second-hand for cheap. I like hearing about older gear that is tried and true. My personal favorite is my Daiwa 175 moocher that I was given as a gift. Cheap reel...has served me well. I am not as knowledgeable about the fly gear as salt water stuff, hence the thread.
Old 10-23-2010, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by highwood View Post
Not sure if this is a shot at me, but I agree, a reel is a reel is a reel. I like mine and I assure you I know how to use it. I own many cheap reels and thought I would treat myself to something a little flashier. This reel performs like no other I have ever used. Hardy makes great reels, try one and tell me differently.
Old 10-23-2010, 11:17 PM

Absolutely not a shot at anyone, and if it came across that way I apologize. I just see alot of people taking up the sport and spending way too much money where it really doesnt need to be spent. That being said, if you have the cash and want to buy yourself a nice present, go for it!!
Old 10-24-2010, 03:58 PM
Banned

Christmas is coming.

You want a Lamson Guru. !!!!

There. your problem is solved
Old 10-24-2010, 06:27 PM

Fly reels are a totally subjective thing, unfortunately the only way you will find out what's best for you is buying several different models throughout your life & getting a real feel for how they "handle". If price is not a concern then you are already ahead of the game; just get a top of the line Islander or Hardy & you are set for most of your flyfishing career! Most people (myself included) are kinda stuck in the middle which is another level of quality all together. You can get a pretty decent reel for under $250 but I have had several of these in the last 20 years & all have ended up in the deceased pile in my flytying room at some point. Some lasted me 8 seasons, some only 3 or 4 seasons.

The biggest factor that defines a reel is not how it looks but how it works; especially under the riggors of heavy field usage. Some manufacturers spend more time building reels with super cool clickers & cool looking spools than a sound drag system, solid frame, & a spool bearing system that will run smooth and tight even after years of being dunked in sand, mud, & swamp water. When shopping for reels be sure to test the drag & take it apart to look at the components to see if it looks solid or flimsy plastic parts. Does the spool sit in the frame nice & tight so the line doesnt get pinched between the spool & frame? This is especially important in an exposed rim design. Is the drag & line guide reversible? Again important, especially if you're a lefty lol. Is the reel going to be used for salmon? If so it better have a sealed bearing & drag system (as in salt resistant), as well as having a drag that could slow down a half ton without slipping or blowing apart, (been there done that!).

There are certainly reels out there that you are paying an extra $100 or more bucks for just the name but generally speaking you get what you pay for. The only reel I own that has lasted more than 8 years is a Hardy Marquis I bought 25 years ago; its a little looser now than it was then but still works great! Definitely worth the money

Even if you only go out ten times a year & think you're only going to catch 12" trout, there will be a day when you are going to test your limits & more importantly the limits of your tackle. The last thing you want to do is explain to your buddies how that 24" Bow River rainbow looked as it slowly fins away because the drag failed & the leader snapped when the fish made its final dash from your net! Just buy the best reel you can afford & if its not up to par then get a better one in a couple years. Live & learn.
Old 10-24-2010, 07:03 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikester View Post
Fly reels are a totally subjective thing, unfortunately the only way you will find out what's best for you is buying several different models throughout your life & getting a real feel for how they "handle". If price is not a concern then you are already ahead of the game; just get a top of the line Islander or Hardy & you are set for most of your flyfishing career! Most people (myself included) are kinda stuck in the middle which is another level of quality all together. You can get a pretty decent reel for under $250 but I have had several of these in the last 20 years & all have ended up in the deceased pile in my flytying room at some point. Some lasted me 8 seasons, some only 3 or 4 seasons.

The biggest factor that defines a reel is not how it looks but how it works; especially under the riggors of heavy field usage. Some manufacturers spend more time building reels with super cool clickers & cool looking spools than a sound drag system, solid frame, & a spool bearing system that will run smooth and tight even after years of being dunked in sand, mud, & swamp water. When shopping for reels be sure to test the drag & take it apart to look at the components to see if it looks solid or flimsy plastic parts. Does the spool sit in the frame nice & tight so the line doesnt get pinched between the spool & frame? This is especially important in an exposed rim design. Is the drag & line guide reversible? Again important, especially if you're a lefty lol. Is the reel going to be used for salmon? If so it better have a sealed bearing & drag system (as in salt resistant), as well as having a drag that could slow down a half ton without slipping or blowing apart, (been there done that!).

There are certainly reels out there that you are paying an extra $100 or more bucks for just the name but generally speaking you get what you pay for. The only reel I own that has lasted more than 8 years is a Hardy Marquis I bought 25 years ago; its a little looser now than it was then but still works great! Definitely worth the money

Even if you only go out ten times a year & think you're only going to catch 12" trout, there will be a day when you are going to test your limits & more importantly the limits of your tackle. The last thing you want to do is explain to your buddies how that 24" Bow River rainbow looked as it slowly fins away because the drag failed & the leader snapped when the fish made its final dash from your net! Just buy the best reel you can afford & if its not up to par then get a better one in a couple years. Live & learn.
Do you know where I can purchase a Hardy Marquis made in Alnwick England these days?
Old 10-24-2010, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greylynx View Post
Do you know where I can purchase a Hardy Marquis made in Alnwick England these days?
Ebay. From what I understand they discontinued that model. Otherwise, look for a dealer in the States because they are very poorly represented in Canada.
Old 10-24-2010, 08:26 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik View Post
Ebay. From what I understand they discontinued that model. Otherwise, look for a dealer in the States because they are very poorly represented in Canada.
All the old British Hardys have been discontinued.

Hardy is now a mere trade name under Greys that really means nothing.

A Lamson guru was my first purchase after my last real Hardy. I find it to be acceptable. It is simple looking, but very smooth in action. Not a show off reel.

As far a I am concerned one does not require an expensive reel until they lose their first really decent trout, and can figure out why they lost that trout without simple excuses.
Old 10-24-2010, 09:45 PM

They are making Hardy's offshore now??? That's terrible
Old 10-26-2010, 05:09 PM

I'll never buy another Hardy. After 35 years of use I finally wore out the first one. Got another 7 to go - figure I'm good for the duration.

catch ya'

Don
Old 10-26-2010, 05:50 PM

An old Orvis "click-pawl" system for my trout rods and an Orvis mid-arbor for my "big fish" rods.
One thing you have to be really careful about with the mid-arbor when you are fishing salt (bones, estuary pinks, bucktailing coho, etc) is to get it completely sea water free.
There's a steel bushing that will rust up in a wink and lock in the spool.
Orvis just has a nice classic, look sound and feel.