Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 10-26-2010, 05:51 PM

I should have added these reels are all Orvis Battenkills.
Old 10-27-2010, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Opinions are like Azz holes, everybody's got one
... and they all stink!!!
Old 10-28-2010, 02:00 AM

Hardy, marquis #7. Simple, sturdy construction with single drag. Large enough to store 100 feet of 20 lb. dacron backing, as well as flyline. It has lasted 25 years of flyfishing under all imaginable weather and water conditiions. It is badly beat up and on its last legs, but it still has outlasted 3 other more modern reels.
Old 10-28-2010, 08:16 AM

Check out Nautilus...Featherweights if you're #7 or below, CCF if you're going #8 and up.

They're very reasonably priced if you get them off Ebay (~$250 with any line you want on them for the FW).

Obviously Islanders are in a class of their own, but for pure performance and good looks Nautilus is what I've gone with. I own 4 of them now - 3 FWs and a CCF.
Old 10-30-2010, 10:03 PM
Suspended User

I am one of the few people who use an automatic. I bought a Perrine auto about 1980. I pretty much put away my manual reel and never used it again. In fact I dont even know its maker. Put it on last spring and after fishing it all day, I put it away again.lol.
I have pulled in hundreds of fish on my Perrine and have only had minor problems. Switched over to dry graphite powder for lube, and no more problems. High maintenance in a way. I keep it clean and it works great, ignore it and start complaining.
I have another one thats probably over 40 years old and has seen lots of action. Still works smooth, and the only sign of wear is on the line guard.
Fighting fish is easy. Pull the trigger and let them fight. The spring action keeps the line out of my way, and I still have a free hand to feather the line.