Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 10-26-2010, 06:10 AM

Default Calling Lake ?

I wonder if F&W will close the wallies down next year. I'v seen hundreds of people fishing there in a day and all pulling out there two fish most of the time. If they keep this lake open for them next year with a two catch, I think this lake will collaps for wallies. What do you think?
Old 10-26-2010, 07:37 AM

The way the system works, they'll likely leave it as is for 2 more seasons, then close it up once the population is close to collapse. Sadly SRD works in too much of a reactionary manner

Time, it makes you old. Experience makes you wise. It's only a fool who judges life by what he sees in other peoples' eyes.
- Strung Out

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams
Old 10-26-2010, 09:01 AM

The situation at Calling is already bad, but unfortunately with the depleted forage base, things are not going to get any better anytime soon. There are too many fish in the lake now from the explosion of spawining success in the last 7 to 10 years. The fish get skinnier and skinnier each year, and I believe from what I can see happening, that Calling will end up like Pigeon Lake is now, in the next 10 years. The first sign was the size and girth of the perch in the lake continually going down, and now it's hard to get a perch over 9 inches from there.

This result is very unfortunate as the past closures were implemented on many of our lakes. It was successful at growing the number of walleyes in lakes, but I feel the duration of the closure was way too long in many cases. By staying closed or restricted so long, and spawining so successfully, the lakes are diminished in quality of fish, but overrun with smaller ones. The pike closure has a lot to do with the lack of forage as well, and tons of small pike and walleye are ravaging the shallows and eating anything they can find. We have no balance between species in many of our lakes anymore, and the overall quality of our natural lakes is on the decline. Basing management on catch rates is really hurting our lakes! We are forced to fish certain waters if we want to keep fish, and those waterbodies recieve tons of pressure, and have been broken beyone reasonable repair in the short term. Now they are factories for cookie cutter fish, and not much reasonable chance for a fish over 5 pounds!

Chris K
Old 10-26-2010, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris K View Post
The situation at Calling is already bad, but unfortunately with the depleted forage base, things are not going to get any better anytime soon. There are too many fish in the lake now from the explosion of spawining success in the last 7 to 10 years. The fish get skinnier and skinnier each year, and I believe from what I can see happening, that Calling will end up like Pigeon Lake is now, in the next 10 years. The first sign was the size and girth of the perch in the lake continually going down, and now it's hard to get a perch over 9 inches from there.

This result is very unfortunate as the past closures were implemented on many of our lakes. It was successful at growing the number of walleyes in lakes, but I feel the duration of the closure was way too long in many cases. By staying closed or restricted so long, and spawining so successfully, the lakes are diminished in quality of fish, but overrun with smaller ones. The pike closure has a lot to do with the lack of forage as well, and tons of small pike and walleye are ravaging the shallows and eating anything they can find. We have no balance between species in many of our lakes anymore, and the overall quality of our natural lakes is on the decline. Basing management on catch rates is really hurting our lakes! We are forced to fish certain waters if we want to keep fish, and those waterbodies recieve tons of pressure, and have been broken beyone reasonable repair in the short term. Now they are factories for cookie cutter fish, and not much reasonable chance for a fish over 5 pounds!

Chris K
Nothing aches more than someone keeping anything they catch... I dont understand how people can catch a little 35 cm walleye, and keep it.

Whenever me and my pops head out, the livewell is always the least of our worries. Such as when we went to Slave Lake, at the fillet shack the limit was 1 walleye over 43 cm i believe. Soon as i dropped my line, i pulled in a 61cm wally, released him. We usually set a 10 cm over the limit rule for keeping.

It chokes me when people catch pike, and they literally keep the skronniest, skinniest gators. You walk by them and they have a stringer full of pike. We keep the ODD pike, and i mean odd, but me and the pops whenever we go fishing try to not spoil the fun for future generations. Its going to be a shame when Calling ends up being a yearly stocked perch pond...

I just dont understand how people are so ignorant to fisheries. Littering, vandalism, and total destruction. It just ruins the fun for everyone else.

Ive ended up taking garbage bags to the fishing spots i go to.

Im very proud my old man taught me proper manners, responsibility, and ownership.
Old 10-26-2010, 09:43 PM

Calling will be DEAD in time
Old 10-26-2010, 09:51 PM

I was there on wednesday and the fishing was AWESOME! I spoke with a F&W officer that was there and said he figures the lake should be netted this winter due to the overpopulation of walleye.
Old 10-26-2010, 11:01 PM

Chris, good post, Buck what were you catching? I have fished Calling for 15 years, Had the occasional off day, but usually a good day produced 20-50 Walleyes, 3-11 lbs, never kept a single one, even though the regs allowed possesion, we released all. Have fished there every year last 15 years, up until this summer, all has been good, not sure what has happened? Locals keeping all the big fish, weekenders keeping 10 lbs'rs, I don't know. Fished there this summer twice, caught good numbers, no big fish, biggest were 4-5 lbs, but very sick looking, if healthy, easily would be 7-8 lb fish, just grey, skinny, unhealthy looking, nothing close to 10lbs, even if healthy? Just like Pigeon, 6-7 years ago, a normal day would produce 70-100 Walleyes's, 2-10 lbs, now we still catch the numbers, but all Cookie Cutters, 2-3 lbs??. Not sure what has gone wrong, but something has?Any Input gladly acknowledged.
Thanks
Old 10-26-2010, 11:23 PM

Willy, we were catching walleye all day(30-40) for the day.Its my first year fishing at calling so i am not to familiar with the lake.The person i fished with at calling said the same thing you say about the health of the walleye.I have fished pigeon for about 20yrs and have seen many changes with the fish population in general.Not sure what the future of pigeon lake will be either.
Old 10-26-2010, 11:46 PM

This summer my largest Calling fish was 30.5 inches, and it weighed a depressing 8.7 pounds.

Last summer we got one that was 31 inches, and it went 9.3.

They have been getting skinnier the last 2 years, and this year things got really bad. I feel that there is nothing for a lot of these fish to eat, and they are withering away.

Here is the saddest part! In this dire situation that the lake is in, it is still a better fishery for size than we have on any other drive to lakes in Northern Alberta.

Chris K
Old 10-27-2010, 04:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckmaster View Post
I was there on wednesday and the fishing was AWESOME! I spoke with a F&W officer that was there and said he figures the lake should be netted this winter due to the overpopulation of walleye.
NETTING! F&W solution to most things. If there is no feed for the fish, why would they not stock say a couple of million feeder fish in and raise the limit for a season and get rid of the slot size? I would gladly take one 70 cm fish over a 55cm, nicer fillets. If they net it they are gonna take out the big fish as well. Guess thats why there was a slot size this year so the nets could get only big fish to sell. LOL They should only net if they take the fish to another lake to restock. Say Babtist Lake. Don't think they would do that in the winter.