Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 05-25-2012, 02:06 PM

Default Wmu 322 and 324

Afternoon all, I am going to be moving to the Sylvan Lake area this summer and with draw season coming soon wanted some help. I use to hunt and apply for draws in the Beavermines area near Pincher Creek. I've been looking at maps and researching WMU 322 and 324. I've put in for moose and elk for the last few years but wanted to know which areas around Sylvan are good for these species. From my brief time in the area I've noted good deer populations which is always nice to see but, I am interested in the bigger critters. I am just looking for some direction from the guys who live and hunt in the area.

Thanks for the help
Old 05-25-2012, 02:22 PM

I used to live and hunt in the area West of you. Had success in 324 for elk on the draw, and years back on a general moose tag. 326 and 429 are other areas that used to be good as well. The most recent I have hunted that part of our province however was in 2005. Actually that was the last time I hunted.

BW
Old 05-25-2012, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigwoodsman View Post
I used to live and hunt in the area West of you. Had success in 324 for elk on the draw, and years back on a general moose tag. 326 and 429 are other areas that used to be good as well. The most recent I have hunted that part of our province however was in 2005. Actually that was the last time I hunted.

BW
Hey, my folks own a cabin on 324 and the only elk I've ever seen are the ones in the pen with a tall fence lol. What are their populations like in 324? I don't want a honey hole or anything but a general area would be appreciated. Even PM me if u dont wanna post a location publicly. I've never tried for elk before and think it could be interesting.

To the OP, there are a lot of hunters in 324 so getting remote is your best bet. The more accessible an area is, the exponentially more hunters you'll run into.
Old 05-25-2012, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Sittn Duck View Post
Hey, my folks own a cabin on 324 and the only elk I've ever seen are the ones in the pen with a tall fence lol. What are their populations like in 324? I don't want a honey hole or anything but a general area would be appreciated. Even PM me if u dont wanna post a location publicly. I've never tried for elk before and think it could be interesting.

To the OP, there are a lot of hunters in 324 so getting remote is your best bet. The more accessible an area is, the exponentially more hunters you'll run into.
We used to run into a lot of Elk up behind the sawmill. Always on the gas line or the big powerline, the odd time we would see them on the railroad tracks. I don't hunt there anymore so it isn't a big deal for me. Good white tail hunting South and West of the Gas Plant as well.

BW
Old 05-25-2012, 06:39 PM
Gone Hunting

I live in 322 and know of some moose areas here. I generally apply for and hunt moose in another zone. I have hunted mule deer in 324 some and know some moose areas there.

If you end up drawing a tag in ether WMU give me a PM and I can maybe help you out with a tip or two.

Archery Sept. 1 - Oct. 31 Muzzleloader and Crossbow Oct. 1 - Oct. 31 Rifle Nov. 25 - Nov. 30

...And HIS kingdom shall have no end...
Old 05-25-2012, 11:25 PM

I Have lived and worked around 332, 322 and 330 my whole life and know them very well. Not too hard hunting area success pretty high with bow for both species. Rifle pretty good too just a long wait for moose draws. PM me if your interested