Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 05-21-2012, 03:32 PM

Default Ethical????

Interesting to read the varying comments- being both a Bow hunter and rifle hunter! I wonder how many think a 700-800-1000 yd rifle shot is ethical? Judging by the audience following "The Best of the West" and siimliar shows there are quite a few.
In my humble opinion many confuse the words "Marksman" and "Hunter"!
Old 05-21-2012, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcreg View Post
Interesting to read the varying comments- being both a Bow hunter and rifle hunter! I wonder how many think a 700-800-1000 yd rifle shot is ethical? Judging by the audience following "The Best of the West" and siimliar shows there are quite a few.
In my humble opinion many confuse the words "Marksman" and "Hunter"!
one can be both or one or the other and as for being ethical well the same reasons given for it not being ethical cuold just as easily apply to a rifle. to shoot a 110 yds with a rifle is definitly easier than a bow but their is still a 1000 variables and only one needs to happen and you got a bad hit so any body thinks there more ethical than any one else is blowing smoke up thier own arse to make them selves think they have some higher moral standard BS
Old 05-21-2012, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pseelk View Post
I think you guys are totally missing the point here.The guy took the shot and he made it.Period.All these hypothetical what ifs dont mean jack.He made the shot .the deer is dead.not wounded ,DEAD.Youcan "what-if"till the cows come home and that particular deer will still be dead!
^^^^^^^See,2 days later and deer is still dead.And if this thread goes for 2 more days,yup still dead.
Old 05-22-2012, 11:04 AM

Amazing Shot. Not sure if it was "amazing skill or "amazing luck", but still amazing.

When I got into bow hunting I had to find a way to detemine my ethical hunting distance, even if it was a only a baseline and a starting pointt.

So in August for 20 days straight, I got dressed in my camo and hunting gear and from a distance of 30 yards I shot 2 arrows only. I figured this was close to hunting as a never took any practice shots on the morning of a hunt to warm up.

I measured the distance from dead center for both arrows. If I was 2 inches from dead center then I considered this a 4 inch group as my error could have been 2 inches from the center in any given direction.

After 20 days and 40 arrows my average was just over a 5 inch groups, or 2.5inches from the dead center.

This gave me maximum hunting distance for my skill set at 50 yard as that translated into an approx. 8 1/2 inch grouping. This is a 8 1/2 inch grouping at 50 yards given ideal conditions. So it is my ethics and judgement in the field that determine whether that distance is reduced given the conditions.

I just hope the guy on the video had his own method of determining what was ethical for him.
Old 05-22-2012, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brendan's dad View Post
Amazing Shot. Not sure if it was "amazing skill or "amazing luck", but still amazing.

When I got into bow hunting I had to find a way to detemine my ethical hunting distance, even if it was a only a baseline and a starting pointt.

So in August for 20 days straight, I got dressed in my camo and hunting gear and from a distance of 30 yards I shot 2 arrows only. I figured this was close to hunting as a never took any practice shots on the morning of a hunt to warm up.

I measured the distance from dead center for both arrows. If I was 2 inches from dead center then I considered this a 4 inch group as my error could have been 2 inches from the center in any given direction.

After 20 days and 40 arrows my average was just over a 5 inch groups, or 2.5inches from the dead center.

This gave me maximum hunting distance for my skill set at 50 yard as that translated into an approx. 8 1/2 inch grouping. This is a 8 1/2 inch grouping at 50 yards given ideal conditions. So it is my ethics and judgement in the field that determine whether that distance is reduced given the conditions.

I just hope the guy on the video had his own method of determining what was ethical for him.
think abuot this if you got that good in 20 days & 40 arrows fired how good wuold you be after 2 years of pratice at two arrows a day and that wuold not even come close to what some old time bow hunters have in pratice time
Old 05-22-2012, 07:01 PM

It seems alot of response on this thread say it was an ethical shot because he hit the animal .. If the same shot is taken and is a miss or worse , a wounded deer , was the shot still ethical ? Not picking on the bow hunter , rifle guys do the same .
Old 05-22-2012, 07:12 PM

i go out and shoot for 5 or 6 hours shooting hundreds of arrows lol thats how i practice so when it is hunting season i can hit my empty copenhagen can at 20 30 40 50 and 60 then im good to go
Old 05-22-2012, 08:08 PM

i wouldnt take the shot myself but i dont practice taking shots at a hundy either? he must of felt confadonty in the shot and it worked! people can make bad shots with rifle and bow on chip shots, it happens, so do we say its unethical to shoot at anything because we might make a bad shot!
Old 05-22-2012, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muleyhunter7 View Post
i go out and shoot for 5 or 6 hours shooting hundreds of arrows lol thats how i practice so when it is hunting season i can hit my empty copenhagen can at 20 30 40 50 and 60 then im good to go
if you can hit a snuff can at 60 yds with an arrow consistantly I say that dam good shooting.
Old 05-22-2012, 09:19 PM

Just to clarify my earlier post, I practice a lot more than just 2 arrows a day for 20 days, I shoot at least 3 times a week all year long as I have a 20 meter shop. The 2 arrows a day for 20 days prior to hunting is to get an idea of what an ethical shooting distance is for me given the amount of practice I get in. When I am hunting I don't take 20 practice shots each morning before I go out, so I need to know my accuracy and limitations cold out of the case.
Old 05-23-2012, 06:18 PM
Banned

this thread is funny but its such a common thing amongst hunters to attack other hunters for doing it a bit different than they do...different animals, different weapons, different shots...it is how we hang ourselves to the rest of the world

on the archery practice, last bit leading up to season i'm simply confirming my pins are dialed in to my natural cold body 1st shot and i don't even start letting that first arrow go until its 50 yrds or longer...nice going into the season knowing that every time you draw on ole bucky target in the morning its in the kill zone at 50 or 60...or what i personally go by is that the arrow lands where the pin was when i dropped string as i'm good at droppin string in the right spot on the real animal....this sort of practice i'm guessing doesn't factor into archerymans regimen....this is a one shot on a cold body affair...practice right...lots of practice not required, just 'right' practice for intended goal...i found in the early years with hours on end of shooting did more to ruin confidence and hunting readiness than it helped...i've got what works for me sorted and i shoot to 80 or 90 and even 100 yrds depending on how many pins i have in my sight that year, i just sight in all my pins and work with them so they are dialed in how i like for 1 shots cold

good luck peoples...ease up on the judging, no biggie if not a shot for you but not for you to say its not a shot for that guy...we have personal limitations that are up to us at the end of the day...not up to your buddy, not up to your neighbor, not up to some internet forum slamfest, anyhow, good entertainment!
Old 05-27-2012, 03:27 AM

toughy, nice shot, tough topic