Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 04-08-2009, 02:20 PM

Default Edmonton Bow Hunt?

My brother in-law moved to the Edmonton area last fall and my wife has decided she wants us to get up(from the states)there next year and visit.I understand that most of you don't want out-of-state hunters running around, I sometimes feel the same way here in southern Iowa. But I love bowhunting and cant see going all the way up to a trophy buck area like Alberta and not take my bow. I was just wondering if there was a honest guy up in that area that could give me some pointers on a DIY whitetail hunt for the fall of 2010. My brother-in-law is not at all a hunter so I can't rely on him for much so if anybody could just point me in the right direction that would be great. I understand the laws about getting a hunter-host permit and all that but its the place to hunt part and best time to come for a bow hunt that I need help with. I appreciate and help that is offered. Thanks
Old 04-08-2009, 03:22 PM

Default Hunting In Alberta

You'll need to have someone host you as you can not DIY in Alberta.
Old 04-08-2009, 03:38 PM

I understood that my brother-in-law could host me and that i could pretty much do the hunt myself.
Old 04-08-2009, 04:12 PM

Your host has to be hunting with you at all times.
Old 04-08-2009, 04:31 PM

I didn't realize that. I defiantly changes things for me.
Old 04-09-2009, 05:41 PM

Default Hunter Host

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulletproof View Post
Your host has to be hunting with you at all times.
Not if he or she puts you in a stand or blind. It's no different than if you are being guided by a outfitter.
Old 04-09-2009, 05:53 PM

A Hunter Host

* Must be an adult resident, and be eligible to hold recreational hunting licences.
* Must be the holder of a valid WIN and Hunter Host Licence (below).
* may not provide services for gain or reward, or accept remuneration, directly or indirectly, for such services.
* may host a maximum of two (2) hunters/year, either Non-residents (Canadian), Non-resident Aliens or a combination thereof. If hosting 2 Non-resident Aliens, at least 1 must be a relative.
* may host Non-resident Aliens only if the host has not hosted a Non-resident Alien in the previous two (2) fiscal years (April 1 to March 31).
* must report to the Fish and Wildlife Division by December 31 in the year of harvest, all hunting activities by the Non-resident Aliens he or she hosted.
* must accompany the hunter(s) named on his or her Hunter Host Licence while they are hunting big game under the authority of the Hunter Host Licence

in this section, the term "accompany" or "accompanied" means that the persons involved are close enough to each other to easily facilitate verbal communications without the need for electronic devices. It is acceptable, however, for the hunter to be placed in a stand location by the guide or host, if they remain at that same location to be picked up later the same day.