Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 08-23-2010, 06:29 PM
badonk

Default .270wsm Factory reload (Sako 85)

I tried looking though the forums and couldn't find anything.

Any body out there using factory loads on their Sako 85 270wsm?

I tried a box of Winchester Accubond CP 140 grain and couldn't quite get the response I wanted from them.

Any suggestions? 130/140/150 grain.

Thanks
Old 08-23-2010, 06:30 PM
sheephunter

I had a Sako A7 and it loved factory Winchester 140 grain Accubonds. My new RMR does too.
Old 08-23-2010, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by badonk View Post
I tried looking though the forums and couldn't find anything.

Any body out there using factory loads on their Sako 85 270wsm?

I tried a box of Winchester Accubond CP 140 grain and couldn't quite get the response I wanted from them.

Any suggestions? 130/140/150 grain.

Thanks
while not a Sako, my Kimber 270WSM loves 140gr.Nosler accubonds, but the Federal not Winchester variety.
Old 08-23-2010, 09:58 PM

Default .270 wsm Sako A7

My new .270 wsm Sako A7 lives up to its billing with Federal Premium Vital Shok 140 grain Nosler Accubond. I really doubt I can reload anything any better than these. 3200+ and 1/2" moa at 100yds.
Old 08-24-2010, 08:56 AM

My two Tikka T3 LS 270WSM rifles plus my buddy's in the camo version love the Winchester Supreme 140gr Accubond CT's. They even love the handloads better.

As mentioned, maybe try the Accubonds in the Federal ammo, or the TSX/TTSX's. FOr the WS ammo, maybe try the XP3's or the E-tips to see if they shoot better.
Old 08-24-2010, 12:08 PM
Banned

my sako a7 stainless in .270 wsm liked the following

Federal 130 Ballistic tips, 5 shots = .6 ctc
Federal 140 Accubond, 5 shots = .7 ctc
Fusions had 4 going into .4" and pretty sure i pulled the flier that opened it up but it was punch out one ragged hole until the fifth shot (this was only about 3rd trip to range...maybe 2nd)

I know from some preliminary play that it like winchester super x stuff also but never shot groups but quick zero at rosebud and dialing out to 500m they were right up the middle and very quick/easy to dial into the middle of the gongs all way out....that was its first day at range.

It did not like...

Winchester Supreme 140 Accubonds...either 1.3 or 1.8" ctc 5 shot
Winchester Supreme 150 Ballistic Tips...either 1.3 or 1.8" ctc 5 shot

Note: i get 3160 fps from 140 Federal Accubonds with brake and i believe the 130 ballistic tips (federal) went about 3206 fps ave from memory....this was through the brake too fyi. (this was same 2nd or 3rd trip to range as the federal premium...all groups shot back to back letting rifle cool in between)

I shot the winchester supreme 140 ab's faster before the brake and after the brake and it chronied about 10 fps slower fyi but the winchester supremes were a hotter load, i want to say they were a good 30 fps faster (maybe a bit more) than the Federal 140 ab's....so the Federal could be a bit faster in a non-braked rifle....never actually asked the question before if brakes tend to take a few fps off so maybe someone with more experience would confirm/deny....it would be easy enough for me to find out too next shoot but could care less, the brake stays on the rifle...

so end of day i think my sako just didn't like overly hot loads as the winchester supremes....it really seemed to shoot everything more normal velocities quite well and was not fussy, my tikka .270 shot the supremes well so you'll just have to pick some of the bullet types you want to try and make sure you compare different manufacturers....i never imagined between the two 140 ab loads from winchester to federal would be such a difference....absolutley loving one while hating the other one's guts

hth

Last edited by Stinky Coyote; 08-24-2010 at 12:17 PM.
Old 08-24-2010, 01:13 PM
badonk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinky Coyote View Post
my sako a7 stainless in .270 wsm liked the following

Federal 130 Ballistic tips, 5 shots = .6 ctc
Federal 140 Accubond, 5 shots = .7 ctc
Fusions had 4 going into .4" and pretty sure i pulled the flier that opened it up but it was punch out one ragged hole until the fifth shot (this was only about 3rd trip to range...maybe 2nd)

I know from some preliminary play that it like winchester super x stuff also but never shot groups but quick zero at rosebud and dialing out to 500m they were right up the middle and very quick/easy to dial into the middle of the gongs all way out....that was its first day at range

It did not like...

Winchester Supreme 140 Accubonds...either 1.3 or 1.8" ctc 5 shot
Winchester Supreme 150 Ballistic Tips...either 1.3 or 1.8" ctc 5 shot

Note: i get 3160 fps from 140 Federal Accubonds with brake and i believe the 130 ballistic tips (federal) went about 3206 fps ave from memory....this was through the brake too fyi. (this was same 2nd or 3rd trip to range as the federal premium...all groups shot back to back letting rifle cool in between)

I shot the winchester supreme 140 ab's faster before the brake and after the brake and it chronied about 10 fps slower fyi but the winchester supremes were a hotter load, i want to say they were a good 30 fps faster (maybe a bit more) than the Federal 140 ab's....so the Federal could be a bit faster in a non-braked rifle....never actually asked the question before if brakes tend to take a few fps off so maybe someone with more experience would confirm/deny....it would be easy enough for me to find out too next shoot but could care less, the brake stays on the rifle...

so end of day i think my sako just didn't like overly hot loads as the winchester supremes....it really seemed to shoot everything more normal velocities quite well and was not fussy, my tikka .270 shot the supremes well so you'll just have to pick some of the bullet types you want to try and make sure you compare different manufacturers....i never imagined between the two 140 ab loads from winchester to federal would be such a difference....absolutley loving one while hating the other one's guts

hth
I really appreciated your response, I believe Federal is the what I will try next. Seems like the consensus amongst all you out there.

Thanks