Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 07-26-2010, 12:05 AM

Default Gun Cabinets

Along with being an avid hunter and gun enthusiast I also love to do woodworking. I am planning on booking a booth in the next gun show in my area to sell custom gun cabinets and I was wondering if there is any interest in the gun/hunting community that still go for these or rather go for the gun safes. I've contacted the Canadian Firearms Center and they informed me that gun display cabinets are ok as long as trigger locks or a locked cable is installed. Here is a picture of my oak gun cabinet I made a couple of years ago. It comes with a locked door and cabinet lighting. Let me know what you guys think. Thanks!
Attached Images
File Type: bmp Gun Cabinet.bmp (107.6 KB, 270 views)

Last edited by ryan_jess; 07-26-2010 at 12:13 AM. Reason: Picture would not attach
Old 07-26-2010, 12:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan_jess View Post
Along with being an avid hunter and gun enthusiast I also love to do woodworking. I am planning on booking a booth in the next gun show in my area to sell custom gun cabinets and I was wondering if there is any interest in the gun/hunting community that still go for these or rather go for the gun safes. I've contacted the Canadian Firearms Center and they informed me that gun display cabinets are ok as long as trigger locks or a locked cable is installed. Here is a picture of my oak gun cabinet I made a couple of years ago. It comes with a locked door and cabinet lighting. Let me know what you guys think. Thanks!
I absolutley love your gun cabinet.The only thing is the security issue.I would'nt feel comfortable leaving home knowing that my Treasured rifles are'nt in a secure Heavy Safe.If I knew that I could leave my guns in a cabnet like yours and they would never get stolen,I'd buy one of your cabinet's tommorow,and put it right in my living room,so I could see all my Nice rifles daily and have them on display!!! Very beatiful work.
Old 07-26-2010, 12:56 AM

I understand that in order to be able to display our firearms with cabinets like these we sacrifice by going with less security. I come from a small town back east and I never really heard of any firearm thefts so these cabinets are more popular than the heavy safes that are available. Does theft of firearms occur a lot here out west?
Old 07-26-2010, 12:59 AM

Nice work ryan_jess.

www.dmoa.ca

Pro Staff member for:
Benelli, Sako, Beretta, Tikka, Franchi, Burris, & Steiner
Old 07-26-2010, 01:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan_jess View Post
I understand that in order to be able to display our firearms with cabinets like these we sacrifice by going with less security. I come from a small town back east and I never really heard of any firearm thefts so these cabinets are more popular than the heavy safes that are available. Does theft of firearms occur a lot here out west?
I would'nt say that theft of Firearms occurs alot,but with this day and age we seem to be living in a corrupt society.Alot of my Firearms are at my parents house,secure in a Heavy safe and they live just south of calgary.More than a dozen people a year are murdered in calgary,so I would'nt put it past someone in the area to steal my thousands of dollars worth of firearms.

I grew up with a beauty oak firearm cabnet in the house when I lived in the country,but as time went on and The collection got more valuable,including a couple wooden stock Blaser Rifles,it became time to lock,em up.Dad still kept the bottom half of the cabinet which is huge,we still store alot of hunting clothes and other stuff in there.

either way your cabinet you built looks great!
Old 07-26-2010, 08:23 PM

Thanks!
Old 07-26-2010, 08:36 PM

Very nice. I would be for one that hangs on the wall or against the wall like a bookcase with 4 guns displayed horizontally. Drawers in the bottom and enough room on top to place a European ram skull and horns.

-Billy Molls
Old 07-26-2010, 08:39 PM

nice. what a beauty. if you dont mind me asking, what kind of dough are you putting into something like this for materials?
Old 07-26-2010, 10:39 PM

Location: 3rd rock from the sun, formerly from 4th rock from the sun
Thumbs up

That's a nice piece of work

If you were closer to where I live I'd see about getting you to build a custom aviary for some of my indoor birds
Old 07-26-2010, 10:53 PM

Very nice looking gun cabinet, I would be a little worried about the safety thing.
Great looking cabinet and good luck selling them.
g73
Old 07-27-2010, 08:42 AM

jaylow?...You're looking at around $800 for materials, especially here out west where hardwood is quite expensive. Labour is the biggest part. The cabinet that I built goes for $3000 back east.
Old 07-27-2010, 09:44 AM

Beautiful looking cabinet.I have one somewhat similar that my grandfather built me several years ago (although yours is nicer) good luck selling some.
Old 07-27-2010, 03:41 PM

Default Cabinet

Great cabinet, Ryan_Jess! I'd love one but my wife doesn't like the guns out in the open.

Re: Security, I saw a company on the internet that sells wood panels for your safe. They have magnets on one side and just stick to it. It turns your moster of a metal safe into a wood cabinet! Anyone heard of these guys?
Old 08-23-2010, 09:14 PM

Yeah...I just like to be able to see my guns lol!
Old 08-24-2010, 01:38 AM

Very nice!!! If I was buying a cabinet I would be interested. Would you sell them raw wood so people could finish them thereselves if they wanted?
Old 08-24-2010, 06:04 PM
Gone Hunting

Very nice. A little on the small size.

If you run a lockable cable through all the guns, what does the cable connect or run through in the gun cabinet to make it secure?

In Australia (I think this is country wide) you HAVE to have a solid gun safe securely bolted to your house structure, before you can buy or own a firearm.

Archery Sept. 1 - Oct. 31 Muzzleloader and Crossbow Oct. 1 - Oct. 31 Rifle Nov. 25 - Nov. 30

...And HIS kingdom shall have no end...
Old 08-24-2010, 06:20 PM

Alberta isn't in Australia.

-Billy Molls
Old 08-24-2010, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck View Post
Alberta isn't in Australia.
very good chuck!
Don't think there is a need for such a comment.
Just like the other posts here Duffy was just stating a piece of interesting info. Thanks Duffy
Old 08-24-2010, 07:11 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by simmered View Post
very good chuck!
Don't think there is a need for such a comment.
Just like the other posts here Duffy was just stating a piece of interesting info. Thanks Duffy
I don't think Chuck is interested in interesting information.

Really not sure what his focus is???

I asked recently asked him a simple question as to why he wanted to change the colour of a pictured gun and he went all "snotty".

Archery Sept. 1 - Oct. 31 Muzzleloader and Crossbow Oct. 1 - Oct. 31 Rifle Nov. 25 - Nov. 30

...And HIS kingdom shall have no end...
Old 08-24-2010, 07:48 PM

simmer: I would consider building the cabinet without the final finishing perhaps.
Old 08-24-2010, 08:30 PM

My dad used to build fancy furniture, including Grandfather clocks. Biggest problem he had, was finding hardwoods of sufficiently low moisture content to reduce shrinkage to an acceptable minimum. You had problems, like that?

Grizz
Old 08-24-2010, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams View Post
My dad used to build fancy furniture, including Grandfather clocks. Biggest problem he had, was finding hardwoods of sufficiently low moisture content to reduce shrinkage to an acceptable minimum. You had problems, like that?

Grizz
Grizz: I tried to prevent any shrinkage by letting my hardwood air dry for one year for each inch of thickness (ie. 2 years for 2" etc). I would then measure the moisture content of the wood with a moisture meter to ensure the wood was around 7% - 9% moisture content. I would then place the wood where I was going to build for a couple of weeks to let it climatize. Along with good finishing techniques I usually had very little problems with shrinkage.