Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 04-12-2024, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by -JR- View Post
Its more like two little old ladies that want to ban knifes not the city .
What I do agree on ,they should have a age limit to buy them.
Don't need a 10 year old buying a knife
Two little old ladies and a former city councilor. And you're right, 10 year olds shouldn't be buying knives, their grandparents should be giving them to them

ARG

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjemac View Post
It has been scientifically proven that a 308 round will not leave your property -- they essentially fall dead at the fence line. But a 38 round, when fired from a handgun, will of its own accord leave your property and destroy any small schools nearby.
Old 04-13-2024, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by -JR- View Post
Its more like two little old ladies that want to ban knifes not the city .
What I do agree on ,they should have a age limit to buy them.
Don't need a 10 year old buying a knife
This is consistent with liberal logic where the focus is on the object rather than the problem.
Conservative logic would be to correct behavior so that we can return to a time where values and accountability are taught.
Most of my friends had knives before we were of school age, but then again, we were raised to a higher standard that that of many children today.
Old 04-13-2024, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Au revoir, Gopher View Post
Two little old ladies and a former city councilor. And you're right, 10 year olds shouldn't be buying knives, their grandparents should be giving them to them

ARG
In first year Cub Scout we all got pocket knives. It was a horrible mess. All that whittling needed sweeping up constantly.

Lol
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 04-13-2024, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KGB View Post
Just had a chit chat with a young lad who is a detective with EPS… he said plain and simple: it is getting worse every year and it will get even worse than it is now. Edmonton police hands are tight by the politics of the city mayor and city councillors. Very damaging left ideology. Cops can do nothing about it. Even if they do- the perpetrators are out in a matter of hours.

Until the criminals will feel the fear of the imminent punishment- nothing will change, they are becoming bolder and bolder! The even bigger problem- kids! They learn fast, they are encouraged by the adults to commit crime because they will not get punished, slap on the wrist is max what they get! Those two 14 year old punks who beat random people almost to death- they are already out! The reason for the attach- it’s a sort of the initiation into the gang… they had to prove themself!
Police are a problem too. They can do something about it if they wanted too. They can stop charging victims for defending themselves and their property. Society is afraid to do anything to fight back because they'll get charged and spend more time in jail than the criminal. Police could turn a blind eye, in the right direction, and maybe criminals will get wind of this and think twice.
Old 04-13-2024, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4extreme View Post
Police are a problem too. They can do something about it if they wanted too. They can stop charging victims for defending themselves and their property. Society is afraid to do anything to fight back because they'll get charged and spend more time in jail than the criminal. Police could turn a blind eye, in the right direction, and maybe criminals will get wind of this and think twice.
Many years ago, during Halloween, some punks went to steal a wagon from the yard of an 80 year old in my town. He saw them and ran out with a 22rifle and drove them off. Being smart, two of the punks snuck up and held the door shut, and the others went to steal the wagon. The old guy told the punks holding the door, that if they didn't leave, he would shoot. They laughed, he shot through the door, and a punk was hit in the arm. When the RCMP arrived , the officer told the old guy he needed a statement, but the officer wrote it, and then told the old guy what he wrote. The statement said that the punks were beating on the door trying to get in, and the old guy and his wife were terrified for their lives. It then said that the old guy warned the punks, and then fired a shot through the door to scare them. There were no charges against anyone, and that was the end of it.
Now if that happened today, it's very unlikely that the police would create the self defense statement to defend the old guy. Instead the old guy would be made out to be a dangerous criminal, and he would face criminal charges, while the punks were made out to be innocent victims, because that is what happens in our woke world.. .
Old 04-13-2024, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushrat View Post
Why not? I got my first knife when I was 6, was in my pocket everywhere I went, pretty much all the boys at elementary carried a pocket knife, sharpened our pencils, carved a lot of sticks, gutted fish and so on.

It is not the knives that are the problem, it is the people carrying them. Same as guns. We have a society today with a large portion that can't handle any personal responsibility and don't have the maturity and mental tools at a young age to deal with something that doesn't go their way. Ban the guns, the knives, then what baseball bats, hockey sticks, axes, shovels and rope.

When will we get it through our thick skulls that teaching morals, personal responsibility and ethics will go a lot farther than banning objects while ignoring the real problem.. We need to start raising our kids right instead of letting schools, social media do it.

What is wrong with kids today?...... Mostly lack of parenting and discipline..

This, and perhaps more importantly, responsibility.

Taking away the opportunity for children and adults to be responsible, often makes them Irresponsible.

"to identify very rare, scarce or special forms of fish and wildlife outdoor recreation opportunities and to ensure that access to these opportunities continues to be available to all Albertans."
Old 04-13-2024, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4extreme View Post
Partially-yes. But the biggest problem is our law. For instance, we do not have Stand your ground laws like the US have. We do not have Protect your property law either. Thus if scum invade your house and you have a choice to fight or to flee- you HAVE to flee! That’s the law, otherwise you will be guilty of exceeding the necessary level of self defence( or whatever legal mumbo jumbo it’s called).
Couple years ago I had a customer who told me that they woke up in the middle of the night because some zombie was banging on their patio door trying to get in. The husband is a military guy with appropriate equipment at his disposal. They called the cops and were told to get out of the house and to not engage the zombie guy….
So the zombie finally broke thru the door and went into the bedroom and fell asleep in their bed! Cops showed up and were trying to negotiate with the guy to come out but he was out cold completely, so the cops released the dog that found the guy and torn him to shreds… Poor family had to call the disaster restoration company to clean all the blood from everywhere….
Old 04-13-2024, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Partially-yes. But the biggest problem is our law. For instance, we do not have Stand your ground laws like the US have. We do not have Protect your property law either. Thus if scum invade your house and you have a choice to fight or to flee- you HAVE to flee! That’s the law, otherwise you will be guilty of exceeding the necessary level of self defence( or whatever legal mumbo jumbo it’s called).
Couple years ago I had a customer who told me that they woke up in the middle of the night because some zombie was banging on their patio door trying to get in. The husband is a military guy with appropriate equipment at his disposal. They called the cops and were told to get out of the house and to not engage the zombie guy….
So the zombie finally broke thru the door and went into the bedroom and fell asleep in their bed! Cops showed up and were trying to negotiate with the guy to come out but he was out cold completely, so the cops released the dog that found the guy and torn him to shreds… Poor family had to call the disaster restoration company to clean all the blood from everywhere….
You absolutely have the right to protect yourself but cannot use force greater than required.
Your customer did not have to leave his home. Dispatch cannot give you a lawful order to leave based on what they know over a short phone call.
He could have legally stayed and protect his family by engaging the intruder if he determined that was the safest move.
Stupid move to leave a secure house and go outside with the zombie.
Old 04-13-2024, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Battle Rat View Post
You absolutely have the right to protect yourself but cannot use force greater than required.
Your customer did not have to leave his home. Dispatch cannot give you a lawful order to leave based on what they know over a short phone call.
He could have legally stayed and protect his family by engaging the intruder if he determined that was the safest move.
Stupid move to leave a secure house and go outside with the zombie.
And who is going to determine the appropriate force? The crown prosecutor or your own lawyer? That’s the problem!
I asked this customer the same question regarding staying in their own home and she told me that they were told flat out by the 911 operator to get out if they can and do not engage! Zombie was at the back patio door and they were able to leave thru the front door.
Old 04-13-2024, 12:16 PM

On another note: police is investigating the hate crime… Somebody ripped off the rainbow flag and threw it into a trash can where it belongs… ooops pardon me on this one…. They are not investigating people burning Canadian flags or destroying the historic monuments…. Or committing a crimes with knives….
Move on, nothing to see here!
Old 04-13-2024, 12:33 PM

Quote:
And who is going to determine the appropriate force? The crown prosecutor or your own lawyer? That’s the problem!
I asked this customer the same question regarding staying in their own home and she told me that they were told flat out by the 911 operator to get out if they can and do not engage! Zombie was at the back patio door and they were able to leave thru the front door.
If someone is trying to break in to your home, how do you know that they are alone, and that nobody is watching the other entrances? It seems stupid to me to leave a secure home, when you might run into more criminals outside.
Old 04-13-2024, 01:21 PM

Quote:
If the guy had military training then he should be smart enough to used the required force.

Being told "flat out" is not a lawful command that must be followed.
You go outside and start running if you want too but keep.in mind that you may be caught by a second or third tweaker and now your wife is on her own.
Old 04-13-2024, 04:44 PM

I think you are missing the point here: I am not discussing what I would do. I’m just telling the story exactly the same way as I was told. That is it!
I know perfectly well what I would do in case like this (God forbid). But I will keep it for myself…