Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 08-09-2010, 08:22 PM

Default 243 bullet choices

Hello folks,

What type, and grain, of bullet is best suited for deer and coyote hunting with a 243?

If you think I shouldn't compromise these two goals let me know what you suggest for a deer only round, and a coyote only round.

My preference would be to find a good solution for both. Looking forward to hearing the pros and cons of each approach.

Thanks!
Old 08-09-2010, 08:38 PM

I'm putting together a 243 right now. I've owned them in the past and shot 55-90 grain bullets in them. The 55's at 4k are dramatic and pelt friendly but I imagine a touch hard on the barrel. This new one will probably see 85gr TSX's for the bigger stuff and 87gr V Max's for everything else.

-Billy Molls
Old 08-09-2010, 08:39 PM

I shoot 100 grain Sierra bt in mine for coyotes. Just started experimenting with some barnes bullets but truth be told i wouldn't hesitate to shoot a deer with the sierra load as it is very accurate and I'm very familiar with it.
Old 08-09-2010, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck View Post
I'm putting together a 243 right now. I've owned them in the past and shot 55-90 grain bullets in them. The 55's at 4k are dramatic and pelt friendly but I imagine a touch hard on the barrel. This new one will probably see 85gr TSX's for the bigger stuff and 87gr V Max's for everything else.
Cool. I'd be interesting in hearing how these turn out.
So I gather you feel a premium 85gr bullet is an adequate deer dropper?
Would you ever consider anything lighter for Deer?

Thanks!
Old 08-09-2010, 09:27 PM

What works for one will not work for the next..
My Tikka likes the cheap stuff Winchester Super X, never had a deer walk away..
Old 08-09-2010, 09:30 PM

You could but would need to be careful. My wife shot an antelope straight on in the chest with a 55 gr bt, it penetrated a couple of feet and absolutely floored him. But the 85 gr TSX would go a long ways through a deer.

-Billy Molls
Old 08-09-2010, 09:32 PM

[QUOTE=gramps73;649215]What works for one will not work for the next../QUOTE]

That's interesting. Can't agree, but it's interesting none the less.

-Billy Molls
Old 08-09-2010, 09:34 PM

So do the winchester super x work great in your rife?
Old 08-09-2010, 09:39 PM

I have been using 90 and 95 grain Nosler Ballistic tips and partitions for many years for deer. I wouldn't use a lighter bullet for deer, Also I do some long range shooting so I need the long bullets to get a high BC ( I use berger 105's) If you don't care about pelt damage these work good on yotes too.
Old 08-09-2010, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gramps73 View Post
So do the winchester super x work great in your rife?
Are you saying they wouldn't?

-Billy Molls
Old 08-09-2010, 10:30 PM

Thanks for all the good advise so far guys.
So prior to posting this question I had this in mind...

Strictly based on "reading" I'm leaning towards the TTSX 80g, and loading for 3200 fps and very good accuracy. I believe I can archive this and stay safely under max loads.

This would give me the "theoretical" best set of compromises for my goals and preferences:
Good Deer bullet assuming good shot
Good velocity for flat trajectory
Good coyote round due to flat trajectory (admittedly I'm not great with ranging so my mind tells me I need a flat shooting gun).

The goal of the 80gr TTSX is to be a good all 'rounder in my 243.

Please feel free to point out the flaws in my plan.
Thanks!
Old 08-09-2010, 10:40 PM

Other than the fact Barnes doesn't make an 80 gr TSX? No.

-Billy Molls
Old 08-09-2010, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck View Post
Other than the fact Barnes doesn't make an 80 gr TSX? No.
You're probably right...but I said "TTSX"
Old 08-09-2010, 11:06 PM

How embarrassing.

I'd go the TSX/V Max route. It will give you a cheaper play bullet to use.

-Billy Molls
Old 08-09-2010, 11:34 PM

When I had my .243win, I loaded 85grain tsx worked great, 320yards my gf smoked a nice wt buck. 80yards he went and was done. Exit and entrance loonie size. However I switched to winchesters 95grain xp3 and they where alot more accurate then my loads and worked just as well. Two deer one at 60 one at 150. EntRance and exit toonie size holes, bothe deer died under 70yards. All trought and throughs. As for coyotes I used from 58gr vmax which r fast but too fast had some tumble so I went up and used what I think to this day thE best yote load for my .243 90gr match bergers. Vert accurTe and even for the weight it was prett easy on the pelts if that's what ur looking for.
Old 08-10-2010, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duramaximos View Post
Hello folks,

What type, and grain, of bullet is best suited for deer and coyote hunting with a 243?

If you think I shouldn't compromise these two goals let me know what you suggest for a deer only round, and a coyote only round.

My preference would be to find a good solution for both. Looking forward to hearing the pros and cons of each approach.

Thanks!
Rumour is that Nosler is coming out with 95 grain accubond bullets next year.I have a .24 rifle that i'll be useing this fall for whitetail,i'll be shooting the 95 grain nosler ballistic silver tips.The Gun is new so I have to pop its Cherry this Fall.
Old 08-10-2010, 06:38 PM

I just picked up some 95gr. SST's today, gonna give them a try this fall, anyone have any input or experience with these?
Old 08-10-2010, 07:17 PM

Quote:
I'd go the TSX/V Max route. It will give you a cheaper play bullet to use.
x2

For deer you want a good bullet, for coyotes almost anything will do, but for both, that means you need a good bullet....

If you can afford to shoot coyote's with a ttsx then go for it - it'll be a great all around load. Other options are to use the nosler partition or plain tsx for a tad less money compared to the ttsx. You could look into the 95 grain hunting ballistic tip for some reviews on performance or at the sierra gamekings. Neither of these bullets control expansion though so hitting bone might not be the best of things to do...

If a 6mm accubond comes out I would definitely switch, you'll save yourself $15-20 per box of 50 bullets yet still have good on game performance I would assume.
Old 08-10-2010, 09:37 PM

I personally use the nosler 90gr E-tip in my 243. They worked well on deer last season and are very accurate in my rifle. I have used the 87gr v-max along with the 85 gr sierra bthp for coyotes but found the 243 a little much unless you are good at sewing.
Old 08-10-2010, 10:17 PM

Thanks for all the replies so far.

I have a slightly off topic question regarding importing reloading supplies from the U.S. I've been told that primers and powder is not allowed, but what about bullets and brass?
Old 08-10-2010, 10:21 PM

100 gr.nbt for deer, 55gr.sierra for yotes and for the long range stuff the 105gr. bergers, they work good on the yotes, and will be trying them this year on White tail. Speer also makes a great 85 gr. but I have only used it on paper,The 85gr.bthp by sierra is very accurate and is great for gophers and yotes but the bc on them kinda suck.
- older 6x fixed scopes with fine X or target dot.
Old 08-10-2010, 10:52 PM

95 grain Nosler Partitions is all I use.
Old 08-11-2010, 09:22 AM

another vote for the 85 tsx bt, goes through deer with ease, then i use the 58 gr v max on coyotes, awesome speed = very little lead...on running coyotes that is!!
Old 08-11-2010, 10:22 AM

I've used Barnes X 105 gr a Brazillion years ago, worked well. Been using Barnes 85 gr X bullets for a while now. Very, Very good. Accurate as hell. But I'm almost out of them, and I'm not sure if they are even available anymore.

I just ordered a box of 90 gr Swift Sciroccos to try. I've used them for years in 300 wm and recently in 300 wb and really like them. So....I'll give them a go.

Been using Nosler 70 gr Ballistic tips for varmints & target and really like them.
Old 08-12-2010, 04:59 PM

I have been shooting a 243 for 15 years and have tried alot of bullets. For last while i've been shooting 85gr nosler partitions and i think thats the ticket. Last year I shot a mulie doe quartering away and the bullet went in just in front of the hind quarter, threw the guts, threw the lungs, broke the oposite front shoulder and held up under the hide. It was about 200 yards away so i thought that was fairly decent. I saw my grampa shoot tons of deer with 100gr factoy federals too. I wouldn't recomend anything to much lighter then 85gr myself. I did, for a year, shoot 55gr and they were too light i thought. I shot a deer in the spine and it demolished the backstrap but never broke the bone. I also shot 70gr bullistic tips and they worked not bad if you hit the bread basket. 243's are awesome guns but there isn't much room for error. I think you need a good solid bullet with a little weight and sacrifice a little speed for a little extra hitting power. Save the 55's for the yotes, they are fun to shoot at a moveing target!
Old 08-13-2010, 06:41 PM

Yes, I'm starting to lean in this direction...
I had hoped to find a good all 'rounder but I think there are just too many compromises, not to mention the cost.

So it seems like TSX and Nosler get very good feedback and the price is very close. I'll probably choose between these two. Is one inherently more accurate than the other?

As far as varmint rounds, the Varmint Grenade and V-Max seem alright. Does one of these hold an edge over the other?

Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunner72 View Post
I have been shooting a 243 for 15 years and have tried alot of bullets. For last while i've been shooting 85gr nosler partitions and i think thats the ticket. Last year I shot a mulie doe quartering away and the bullet went in just in front of the hind quarter, threw the guts, threw the lungs, broke the oposite front shoulder and held up under the hide. It was about 200 yards away so i thought that was fairly decent. I saw my grampa shoot tons of deer with 100gr factoy federals too. I wouldn't recomend anything to much lighter then 85gr myself. I did, for a year, shoot 55gr and they were too light i thought. I shot a deer in the spine and it demolished the backstrap but never broke the bone. I also shot 70gr bullistic tips and they worked not bad if you hit the bread basket. 243's are awesome guns but there isn't much room for error. I think you need a good solid bullet with a little weight and sacrifice a little speed for a little extra hitting power. Save the 55's for the yotes, they are fun to shoot at a moveing target!
Old 08-15-2010, 04:12 PM
Banned

Default 243

We shoot deer with 55gr nbt's and coyotes and they are all stone dead. If you think this is to light try the 70's.
Old 08-15-2010, 05:19 PM

Default Hornady 95 BTSP and Nosler 55 ballistic tips

My son dropped a mulie doe at 200+ yards with my 243 a few years ago and she did a nose plant into the creek bank when hit. We tried 2-3 95 -100 grain bullets before settling on the Hornady and almost all the bulllets shot well with nice tight groups. Only Berger did not group well and I understand I would have to seat them deeper than the others as well as probably increase velocity to get them tighter.
I use the 55 grain ballistic tips for long range coyotes and while they are not truly fur friendly they get the job done with an acceptable size and expected exit hole.
Almost 4000fps so they may be hard on a barrel over a long period but they only drop 19 inches at 500 yards and seem a bit more wind proof than my 22-250.
Rob
Old 08-23-2010, 08:09 PM

Hi folks,

I decided on the 65gr v-max for my varmint bullet. I couldn't be more happy with the results. 3/4" groups at 100yrds with my first load and my first trip to the range. With a little tweaking this round is going to be exceptional.

I feel compeled to try a Hornady bullet for my deer rounds. I notice someone mentioned the 95gr BTSP, but I'm not sure what this is exactly? I looked over the WSS web site but this didn't jump out at me.

Which one of Hornady's offerings most closely resembles the on-game performance of the Nosler Partitions or TSX?

Thanks!
Old 08-23-2010, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duramaximos View Post
Hi folks,

I decided on the 65gr v-max for my varmint bullet. I couldn't be more happy with the results. 3/4" groups at 100yrds with my first load and my first trip to the range. With a little tweaking this round is going to be exceptional.

I feel compeled to try a Hornady bullet for my deer rounds. I notice someone mentioned the 95gr BTSP, but I'm not sure what this is exactly? I looked over the WSS web site but this didn't jump out at me.

Which one of Hornady's offerings most closely resembles the on-game performance of the Nosler Partitions or TSX?

Thanks!
Hornady GMX is the closest to the TSX