Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 08-10-2010, 06:22 PM

Default 50 cal Flintlock barrel bulge

I just bought a Lyman 50cal Flintlock Trade Rifle and noticed it had a bulge in the barrel about 10" from the end. I haven't shot the rifle yet and the last owner said it was only fired 5 times. Anyone know what I should do? Is it safe to shoot? It is my first black powder gun, and am really disappointed that I may have just wasted my money. I talked to a couple gun stores and they think the barrel will need to be cut down to fix it. It already isn't a very long rifle and if I cut 10" off it won't be something I will want to shoot.
Old 08-10-2010, 06:57 PM

It is most likely shot with a gap between the powder and the projectile.
The accuracy might suffer with the bulge and the velocity is compromised anyway. Best would probably be to replace the bbl altogether. Did you contact the seller to settle the matter?
Old 08-10-2010, 07:45 PM

Default Barrel Bulge

I contacted the seller but he didn't know the barrel had a bulge in it. I also contacted Wholesale Sports in Lethbridge where the rifle was bought new but they said they couldn't order just the barrel for me. I think I am going to contact Wholesale Sports headquarters though. You would think if they sell the guns they should be able to get the parts. I am still going to be into this used rifle for more money than if I bought it brand new.
Old 08-10-2010, 11:06 PM

10" from the end almost sounds like the bullet was short started and whover shot it forgot to ram the ball home beforehand.
That would certainly cause a ring or bulge 10" from the barrel , if the short starter was that long.
Replacement barrels can be bought from Green Mountain, ( drop ins) and are super accurate.
Contact Clay at Prophet river to help you broker it into Canada.
Cat
Old 08-11-2010, 04:57 PM

After searching the internet and making phone calls it seems that there is no way to get a Lyman Flintlock barrel from anyone in Canada. I guess I have to order from the US and hope it doesn't get stopped at the border. Lyman will sell me one for $130US and ship it UPS. I can't believe that Wholesale Sports that sells the firearms is completely unable to order a barrel. I also talked to other sporting goods stores and no one wants to help and even see if they could order one.
Old 08-12-2010, 12:53 AM

Welcome to big-box world.
They CAN order the bbl. They DON'T WANT TO !
Old 08-14-2010, 04:43 AM

Whether the seller knew the barrel was bulged or not, he owes you a refund. Whether that works or not, first thing I would try is shooting it. The bulge may not have any effect. I have seen numerous 22s with barrel bulges and they shot just fine anyhow.

If the accuracy is no good, or you can't get the velocity out of it, then a new barrel will be required. Muzzle loader parts, particularly Flintlock, are not controlled to the same degree as other rifle parts so you should not have as many problems ordering parts. Let us know how it works out.
Old 08-21-2010, 08:24 AM

Well good news. It looks like I am going to be able to get my money back on the rifle. Now I need to find an other flintlock rifle to buy. Maybe I will buy a new one, I like the Great Plains Rifles, maybe a 54 cal. It is getting close to muzzle loading season though. I hope I can get one before my friends go out hunting.
Old 08-21-2010, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horseman View Post
Well good news. It looks like I am going to be able to get my money back on the rifle. Now I need to find an other flintlock rifle to buy. Maybe I will buy a new one, I like the Great Plains Rifles, maybe a 54 cal. It is getting close to muzzle loading season though. I hope I can get one before my friends go out hunting.
Good to hear about the refund. CGN has a 54 Lyman GPR flint FS in their Exchange forum.
w w w.canadiangunnutz.com/forum/showthread.php?t=505153
Old 08-22-2010, 10:55 AM

Thanks, just waiting for permission to view the items.

Last edited by Horseman; 08-22-2010 at 11:17 AM.
Old 08-23-2010, 11:31 PM

Well I tried to get the Great Plains rifle that was listed at CGN but someone spoke for it a couple hours before I did. Lethbridge Wholesale Sports has some new ones in stock now though. So I may have to dish out the extra cash to buy one from them.