Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 10-21-2011, 09:08 PM

Default fall fly fishing

Do trout take flies this time of year. I don't seem to see any jumping anymore. Also there are no flies around this time of year.
Old 10-21-2011, 09:13 PM

There is way more underwater bugs then there ever will be top water. You can fish streamers and nymphs all year round where dries are used at certain times only.

Go chuck some nymphs or streamers and see what you can find.

I rarely chuck dries because I am terrible at it and usually turn myself back to nymphs in a hurry.
Old 10-21-2011, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thundercatcher View Post
Do trout take flies this time of year. I don't seem to see any jumping anymore. Also there are no flies around this time of year.
Of course they do, lol, your funny man, think about it, flies can duplicate many different things, this time of year, back swimmers, boatman and minnow patterns are all year round, next time you go to the lake take a few minutes go to the shoreline and check out what you see in the water it should help you out a lot man, how is the fly casting going???&?&?&
Old 10-21-2011, 09:20 PM

Are you kidding me.....some of the best..or rather most pleasurable fly fishing on Alberta's east slope streams is late season with no crowds. Hatches of, albeit small sized to tiny, blue-winged olive mayflies happen at this time of the year - the more grey and overcast the skies the, better. That's right I'm talking about cutthroat trout on dry flies in October.
The best part is that the only people you see are those searching for elk and other four-legged game.

Let me know where you are located and I'll tell you where to go
Old 10-21-2011, 09:20 PM

Haven't been fly fishing at all as of late. Maybe I will get into it more next year
Old 10-21-2011, 09:28 PM
Banned

Decent hatch of tiny (~4mm) midges on the Bow yesterday, and saw some rising fish.

Not sure what the risers were taking.

I'd be tossing a 5" whitish streamer, but thats just me. Depends where you're fishing.
Old 10-21-2011, 09:30 PM
Banned

There are aquatics that will hatch during cold weather.

In other parts of the country I have seen mid-winter stoneflies and caddis hatching. Both were very dark coloured and 10mm.

I can't speak about this area from experience, but I bet it's the same.
Old 10-21-2011, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Haven't been fly fishing at all as of late. Maybe I will get into it more next year
LOL then why you asking if trout take flies this time of year, come onnnn Kevin, do not get me going and get out there and enjoy yourself before the lakes freeze up or close, not that much wind for the next week and no snow, get out man and practice your casting.
Old 10-21-2011, 09:38 PM

Well, I was going to get out and fly fish, but was Sauer today and had no bites at all , I was fishing with powerbait. As being new to fly fishing, I thought they might not bite at this time of year. But now hearing these replys I think I will got out and get some practice.
Old 10-21-2011, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Well, I was going to get out and fly fish, but was Sauer today and had no bites at all , I was fishing with powerbait. As being new to fly fishing, I thought they might not bite at this time of year. But now hearing these replys I think I will got out and get some practice.
If I wasn't out shooting ducks and geese and bow hunting mulie's right now I'd go with you with a hand full of flyrods. hmmmm tough decision.
Old 10-21-2011, 10:31 PM

i kill them all winter long on a size 18 haresear nymph and come march and april add a prince nymph or a red wire worm. always have a ton of success
Old 10-21-2011, 10:37 PM

And bead head prince, copper johns and pheasant tail nymphs too - but don't tell anyone.
Old 10-23-2011, 10:26 AM

# 20 BWO nuff said.

Fish were caught yesterday, cold, windy, overcast, and sometimes raining...still eating dries

Old 10-25-2011, 09:25 AM

As everyone has stated you can pick fish all year round on flies. I have been trying to get a fish on the dry every month, December still elludes me. We have October Caddis, Winter Stones aka Skwalas, and countless midge hatches around 6C typically. All of which can be fished dry. There are many fly anglers that fish all year round in Calgary, it's doable to about -10C.
Old 10-25-2011, 03:40 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayhad View Post
As everyone has stated you can pick fish all year round on flies. I have been trying to get a fish on the dry every month, December still elludes me. We have October Caddis, Winter Stones aka Skwalas, and countless midge hatches around 6C typically. All of which can be fished dry. There are many fly anglers that fish all year round in Calgary, it's doable to about -10C.
How do you stop the guides from freezing up at those temps?
Old 10-25-2011, 03:42 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeGuy View Post
I have Fab'd up a heater to my guides.
Old 10-25-2011, 06:41 PM

Quote:
I don't but I have a solution, every dozen casts or so dip your rod in the water, ice will melt off in under 30 seconds. Yes you will get more water on you rod than just stripping line, but you now have a solution to remove that ice.

When you get into "unfishable" is when you leader get's a thin layer of ice on it, it's a crystaline beacon to fish to stay away.

There are chemical methods, but i don't want anything touching my fly lines, or graphite for that mater... most use some sort of petroleum based spray or vaseline

Last edited by Jayhad; 10-25-2011 at 06:42 PM. Reason: spelling mistake
Old 10-25-2011, 07:06 PM
Banned

Quote:
I don't but I have a solution, every dozen casts or so dip your rod in the water, ice will melt off in under 30 seconds. Yes you will get more water on you rod than just stripping line, but you now have a solution to remove that ice.

When you get into "unfishable" is when you leader get's a thin layer of ice on it, it's a crystaline beacon to fish to stay away.

There are chemical methods, but i don't want anything touching my fly lines, or graphite for that mater... most use some sort of petroleum based spray or vaseline
I was running into this problem fishing in the morning shade this week, and was trying to find a solution. Tried the sticking the rod in the water trick, but it's super slow once the ice is >1mm thick.

Just hiked upstream a bit and fished in the sun. Problem solved.
Old 10-25-2011, 07:41 PM

Quote:
I was running into this problem fishing in the morning shade this week, and was trying to find a solution. Tried the sticking the rod in the water trick, but it's super slow once the ice is >1mm thick.
you are totally right, you do have to be on top of it, if it gets thick its to late. I guess you could just accept ice happens, take the time to rinse it, or break it off with your fingers in the cold; while pondering on how much better breaking ice off your rod is than working or being inside.
Old 10-25-2011, 07:43 PM

BrianScott, that first picture is really good dude, nice fish. I love the colours on both the leaves and rainbow.
Old 10-25-2011, 10:36 PM

I have had some of my best nymph fishing of the year this October. My 2 flies of choice are #8 stonefly nymph OR #8 san juan with a #16 bead-head hares ear.

I have found the Bow river trout to be following text book nymphing: work the differing current seams. The fatties can be found in the deeper pools, but still working current seams and the end of runs into slower pools.

I find a potential zone, give it 7-10 casts then move on to the next potential lie. I also try the same zone on my walk back down the river.

I have been averaging about 7-10 fish over the course of 3 hours.
Old 10-25-2011, 10:50 PM

Got out today and had 15 fish in 4 hours, including a good sized brown, whitey and rainbow.

Scel, you outlined the methodology perfectly in your post above. I opted for a zebra midge under a prince nymph, though. I like going light. All of my fish were on the zebra.

From around 3:30 to 5:30, dry fly action is steady if you're in the right place. Choose your fly wisely. They're picky right now.
Old 10-25-2011, 11:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by commieboy View Post
Got out today and had 15 fish in 4 hours, including a good sized brown, whitey and rainbow.

Scel, you outlined the methodology perfectly in your post above. I opted for a zebra midge under a prince nymph, though. I like going light. All of my fish were on the zebra.

From around 3:30 to 5:30, dry fly action is steady if you're in the right place. Choose your fly wisely. They're picky right now.
Cheers.

I get a consistent 50/50 ratio of catches on the stonefly vs. hare's ear. My second choice for the hare's ear is a copper john. I find it really interesting that you have not caught anything on the prince nymph: it is the one pattern that has not produced any fish for me in the late season.

You have inspired me to try a little lighter flies next time. I am thinking a #14 hare's ear top and a #16/18 zebra midge or copper john.

Are you using a split shot? I have found a little extra weight helpful for those short deep pools where the big fish are sitting, but I feel that it affects the float.
Old 10-25-2011, 11:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scel View Post
Cheers.

I get a consistent 50/50 ratio of catches on the stonefly vs. hare's ear. My second choice for the hare's ear is a copper john. I find it really interesting that you have not caught anything on the prince nymph: it is the one pattern that has not produced any fish for me in the late season.

You have inspired me to try a little lighter flies next time. I am thinking a #14 hare's ear top and a #16/18 zebra midge or copper john.

Are you using a split shot? I have found a little extra weight helpful for those short deep pools where the big fish are sitting, but I feel that it affects the float.
Your proposed set up sounds good. I find the hare's ear much more productive than the prince lately.

I use the smallest microsplit for this set up, just to help get it down, and I haven't found the drift is affected too much. I usually have it about 4 inches above my first fly and then I go about a foot and a half between the two flies. I would say the full length from leader to the last fly is about 11 feet.

I don't use thingymabobbers on this set up since they need to be attached in the thick part of the leader. Because the flies are so light, the indicator has to be on the tippet portion of the leader so that the flies have a taut connection to the indicator. I use indicator yarn since I can tie it on to any point of the tippet. I'll typically use 5X fluoro. 5X only because it allows the flies to sink quickly. I think you could get away with 4X, though.

I've been having such great success with the Zebra that I haven't even bothered with the Copper John, and the Prince was more to add some weight to get the midge down. I think the Hare's ear and Copper John would be deadly.

I picked up a few 20"+ browns over the summer using a similar light set up.

Best of luck to you. Let me know how you fare.
Old 09-18-2012, 03:54 AM

Default Looking for spots near Lloydminster

I live in Lloydminster, where can I find some quality places to try a few flies nearby? Also wondering about boat launches for tjhe Red Deer River.

Thanks
Old 09-18-2012, 07:54 AM

Actually they take flies all year long. Love the fall for fly fishing, its cooler and there are fewer people fishing.

My blog - casting on the waters

fishing regulations and facts on fish handling
Fishing Regulations
Old 09-18-2012, 09:36 AM

Winter Stones and Skwala's are completely different...time to refresh up on your entomology!

Quote:
Old 09-18-2012, 08:17 PM

#8 Chernobyl ant last weekend, there's still hoppers on the Highwood
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2750.jpg (59.3 KB, 53 views)

instagram: @schrodo_of_the_shire