Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 10-09-2014, 08:38 AM

Something that must be born in mind is the result of oil tankers ending up in Wab. By the accounts posted on this site, the fishery has got a whole lot better.
However, ESRD tends to manage a single fish in a lake rather than looking at the lake as a whole and managing all fish. Typically you cannot manage the predator w/o managing the prey.
And Winch - here I thought that everything was JT's fault. You blaming someone else shocks me.

Don
Old 10-09-2014, 08:42 AM

Here a thought maybe the pike will turn to eating whites ..instead of the walleye and perch since theyre so spiny in return would be bigger pike more walleye and perch of bigger sizes and a balanced whitefish population ...cuz lets face it i bet pike put a bigger dent on walleye and perch than angling hands down....just a thought tho

Last edited by chriscosta; 10-09-2014 at 09:11 AM.
Old 10-09-2014, 08:51 AM

Default Not totally JT s fault

But I would not be surprised if quite a few Alberta Govt employees
get a Xmas card every year from the Liberal Party .

If the Outdoor resource in Alberta suffer from anything ,it's the
Obvious unilateral decisions made by people in charge .
Generally a forum is held before decisions are made
not after . But the SRD was just following in the footsteps
Of their leader Kim Yun Redford . The red Tories blunder on .
I'm sure before the final act more stupidity , enjoy your bone
Commercial fishing closed, you can only imagine what that's going to
Cost the taxpayer .
Old 10-09-2014, 12:26 PM

Brought a tear to my eye (tear of joy) hearing Commercial is being shut-down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Andersen View Post
However, ESRD tends to manage a single fish in a lake rather than looking at the lake as a whole and managing all fish. Typically you cannot manage the predator w/o managing the prey. Don
Bingo. Addtionally I believe an entire fisheries "area" needs to be managed and not just a singular water body. Ex: You can't close down 1 lake in an area , You must close down several lakes otherwise anglers will simply focus their target onto the lake(s) still open.
Old 10-18-2014, 12:10 AM

Great to hear commercial fishing has stopped. I hate to see nice whites being sold as dog food. Let the anglers catch them.
Old 10-21-2014, 12:12 AM
Banned

Commercial fishing might be shut down but Natives will still continue to fish when our season is over and then leave thousands of fish on the ice.
Old 10-21-2014, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gloszz View Post
Commercial fishing might be shut down but Natives will still continue to fish when our season is over and then leave thousands of fish on the ice.
What is your point?
Old 10-21-2014, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddddd05 View Post
Great to hear commercial fishing has stopped. I hate to see nice whites being sold as dog food. Let the anglers catch them.
My dog disagrees with this post. She likes her food with Whites in it. She likes the Walleye food more though.
Old 10-21-2014, 06:03 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacenbeers View Post
What is your point?
I'm not sure how you do not get what I am trying to say...
Commercial fishing has ceased to exist in Alberta. Natives still have the right to fish using nets... That is doing more harm to fishing than a fisherman with one pole and a limit.

If you still do not get my point then what I am saying is if Natives were to stop fishing with nets then that would be something to be happy about.
Old 10-21-2014, 06:41 PM

Quote:
I'm not sure how you do not get what I am trying to say...
Commercial fishing has ceased to exist in Alberta. Natives still have the right to fish using nets... That is doing more harm to fishing than a fisherman with one pole and a limit.

If you still do not get my point then what I am saying is if Natives were to stop fishing with nets then that would be something to be happy about.
That's a pretty ignorant statement.
Old 10-21-2014, 08:24 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoFugger21 View Post
That's a pretty ignorant statement.
Ignorant would be in me lacking knowledge on the topic or being unaware of the situation. Go to any of the lakes in the winter time and see how many pike, burbot and walleye are on the ice... Then if you can prove me wrong I will admit I am ignorant.
Old 10-21-2014, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Ignorant would be in me lacking knowledge on the topic or being unaware of the situation. Go to any of the lakes in the winter time and see how many pike, burbot and walleye are on the ice... Then if you can prove me wrong I will admit I am ignorant.
If you're saying that ANY of the lakes (inferring all of them) in the winter has fish laying all over the ice due the reasons you are stating, then yes, you do lack the knowledge and are very ignorant with your comments. Have a good day.
Old 10-21-2014, 10:30 PM
Banned

I am sorry I forgot to include the lakes where commercial fishing used to be allowed. My bad. Are you Native? I have a feeling you're offended because of that reason and not because I am "ignorant".
Old 10-21-2014, 10:57 PM

Quote:
I am sorry I forgot to include the lakes where commercial fishing used to be allowed. My bad. Are you Native? I have a feeling you're offended because of that reason and not because I am "ignorant".
I shouldn't even dignify the above with a response, but I'd love to see the list of lakes where this is supposedly taking place, along with any proof you have... Don't worry, I'll wait....
Old 10-21-2014, 10:59 PM

Quote:
And for the record, this is what I'm refering to....
Old 10-22-2014, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoFugger21 View Post
I shouldn't even dignify the above with a response, but I'd love to see the list of lakes where this is supposedly taking place, along with any proof you have... Don't worry, I'll wait....
I agree that it is ignorant. I icefish a lot and on a lot of different lakes and I have never seen piles of dead fish. The only lake where I have seen this is Pine Coulee and there were piles of burbots left by ignorant white dudes.
Old 10-22-2014, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacenbeers View Post
I agree that it is ignorant. I icefish a lot and on a lot of different lakes and I have never seen piles of dead fish. The only lake where I have seen this is Pine Coulee and there were piles of burbots left by ignorant white dudes.
I agree the comment is ignorant too, however i seen this take place 3 winters ago on cold lake where the F&W came across lake trout that were left to spoil on the ice as well as they hauled in a net that was in the water too long. I believe there were approx 100 trout that were found spoiled.
Old 10-22-2014, 11:47 AM

Commercial fishers are their own worst enemy.

At Calling Lake there are typically 30 - 40 license holders, and tons of whitefish. Not uncommon to see 60 - 100 whites in a net on a daily pull. Whites are big because of the mesh size used.

On of the commercials fishes out from the town site, and has 6 nets. A couple of years ago he fished 5 days before the walleye quota was hit. Whitefish quota was never reached. $5 a fish, its a pretty good gig.

Problem is that whites are hard to catch in a lot of our northern lakes as they are in 30 - 60 FOW. They are stuffed full of what looks to be a small red blood worm, a larvae stage of I believe may flies. Hard to fish a wire worm that deep so few rec anglers ever get whites.

Last year, 5 of the Commies got together, and set their nets in the area north of VW point. They averaged 31 walleye per net on the first pull, and that was quite a few nets!!! Of course large walleye are $5 a pound, and at that mesh size, we are talking about 6- 10 pd fish, breeding fish, that the rec fishers are not allowed to keep.

Needless to say, these geniuses had the commercial netting shut down the next day, meaning 2 pulls for everyone else, as walleye quota of 500 kg had been reached. Whitefish quota was never reached.

You do know that you can fish whites in the fall in pound trap net setups, when they come in to spawn in the shallows in October, right? You then pick and choose the whites and return all else, IF YOU WANT TO. Golly, you then have so called "Golden caviar".

That is why the commercial fishing has to be shut down. These guys are too smart for their own good, and lets face it, none of them make a living off it anyway, and none of them pay the province a part of the catch. All they did was get greedy and hammer the fish that would have spawned in the spring that everyone prizes.

Drewski
Old 10-22-2014, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewski Canuck View Post

At Calling Lake there are typically 30 - 40 license holders, and tons of whitefish. Not uncommon to see 60 - 100 whites in a net on a daily pull. Whites are big because of the mesh size used.

On of the commercials fishes out from the town site, and has 6 nets. A couple of years ago he fished 5 days before the walleye quota was hit. Whitefish quota was never reached. $5 a fish, its a pretty good gig.

Problem is that whites are hard to catch in a lot of our northern lakes as they are in 30 - 60 FOW. They are stuffed full of what looks to be a small red blood worm, a larvae stage of I believe may flies. Hard to fish a wire worm that deep so few rec anglers ever get whites.

Last year, 5 of the Commies got together, and set their nets in the area north of VW point. They averaged 31 walleye per net on the first pull, and that was quite a few nets!!! Of course large walleye are $5 a pound, and at that mesh size, we are talking about 6- 10 pd fish, breeding fish, that the rec fishers are not allowed to keep.

Needless to say, these geniuses had the commercial netting shut down the next day, meaning 2 pulls for everyone else, as walleye quota of 500 kg had been reached. Whitefish quota was never reached.

You do know that you can fish whites in the fall in pound trap net setups, when they come in to spawn in the shallows in October, right? You then pick and choose the whites and return all else, IF YOU WANT TO. Golly, you then have so called "Golden caviar".

That is why the commercial fishing has to be shut down. These guys are too smart for their own good, and lets face it, none of them make a living off it anyway, and none of them pay the province a part of the catch. All they did was get greedy and hammer the fish that would have spawned in the spring that everyone prizes.

Drewski
People use this as a second income, infact in Saskatchewan I know people who its there main income, Yes main income, not a lot but that's all he makes, Commercial fishing has been on some lakes longer than 95% of us, My dad has been fishing primrose for over 50 years now,
Old 10-22-2014, 05:15 PM

Default I think that many can agree on a few things....

Just my 2 Cents......,

I have lived in Alberta my whole life, I have been an avid outdoorsmen my whole life. I have personally noticed substantial changes in many fisheries over the years, and seemingly for the worse. I am sure this for many different reasons aside from the commercial fishery. I just want to regurgitate a little of what has already been said regarding human population increase vs. useable fisheries etc. I feel deeply for the families and the people that earned money from the commercial fishery however my gut tells me and has told me for a while, that Alberta lakes can no longer support this activity. I am old enough to remember much greater angling limits in Alberta and now our lakes cannot barely support a limit to have a fish-fry once or twice a year ......That is all I ever wanted. As a Father to a 3 year old son, this is horribly disappointing. I am in support of any conservation measures that reduce the numbers of fish harvested in hopes that I can teach my son to clean a few fish again one day....... My fear with eliminating the Legal Commercial Fishery is that it will encourage and grow the already lucrative Black Market trade of fish.....
Old 10-22-2014, 06:04 PM

Does Alberta have a hatchery program?? I know they can help a lot with fish populations.....
Old 10-22-2014, 08:59 PM

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badlildoggy View Post
Just my 2 Cents......,

I have lived in Alberta my whole life, I have been an avid outdoorsmen my whole life. I have personally noticed substantial changes in many fisheries over the years, and seemingly for the worse. I am sure this for many different reasons aside from the commercial fishery. I just want to regurgitate a little of what has already been said regarding human population increase vs. useable fisheries etc. I feel deeply for the families and the people that earned money from the commercial fishery however my gut tells me and has told me for a while, that Alberta lakes can no longer support this activity. I am old enough to remember much greater angling limits in Alberta and now our lakes cannot barely support a limit to have a fish-fry once or twice a year ......That is all I ever wanted. As a Father to a 3 year old son, this is horribly disappointing. I am in support of any conservation measures that reduce the numbers of fish harvested in hopes that I can teach my son to clean a few fish again one day....... My fear with eliminating the Legal Commercial Fishery is that it will encourage and grow the already lucrative Black Market trade of fish.....
Target whites and you'll be able to have those fish fries.

Thomas Sowell
Old 10-22-2014, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikergolf View Post
Target whites and you'll be able to have those fish fries.
X2, they are thicker than suckers and easy to catch.
Old 10-22-2014, 09:35 PM

Maybe mcgregor will be worth fishing again on early ice in a couple years, also sylvan and gull ought to improve so that's good
Old 10-22-2014, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewski Canuck View Post

Drewski
Got to say this is generally what I see as well.