Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 10-23-2014, 09:14 AM

Default pigeon lake

Has anyone been out to pigeon lately? Gunna be heading out saturday and sunday for some fall walleye action
Old 10-23-2014, 03:32 PM

Default Pigeon Lake Update For October 2014

Was out to pigeon on Monday the 20th of October, we were in the same spot out in front of the provincial park. We of course went to the "drop off" out in front the boat launch and the sandy beach.

But we fished the slope, from 6 feet to the 22 foot floor, we fished from 9 to 5 and we boated over 100 walleye, my buddy filled his tags (A) no problem, a nice 4 lb and 3 3/4 lb walleye.

The other three boats were catching maybe 1 fish every 20 minutes, until I gave them the secret jig and of course the technique. The technique I think was the most important ... water was 49 to 50 ... and the jig has to be on the bottom with absolutely no, again no movement ... right on the bottom ... the bite was almost undedectable ... at times the rod/line just felt different ... walleye fisherman know what I mean!?

I was out fishing my buddy 7 fish to 1, every 30 minutes until I told him what I was doing. As soon as he started leaving the jig/minnow on the bottom he to caught fish after fish.
The jig color was "parrot", but I believe any jig right on the bottom no movement, with slack line should also work. We went through three tubs of minnows, or we would of stayed later.

NOW FOR THE INTERESTING STORY ......

It was about 2 in the afternoon, and we heard this high speed machine coming from the south at top speed toward the group of four boats that were fishing around us.

I thought what stupid kid, in shorts would be on his ski doo at the end of October? This ski doo was heading directly towards all of us with no signs of slowing down!

At the last minute this kid, slowed right down and went right for the boat in the middle of the group. The group of four boats were in a 100 yard circle, and the kid drove right in!

When this kid was close enough I realized and saw the game warden outfit and of course the gun. The boat that he went directly to was given ticket(s) for not tagging his walleye (ASAP) like what the law says. So the fish cop spent about an hour with this one guy ... a senior at least 70 years old!

Next he came directly to us .... so we had our speech all ready ... as mentioned earlier in the post my buddy came to fill his two tags ... so he brought his big, I mean big cooler !

Here's what was said, "hey guys got any fish to declare" .... "yeh but I think we are way over our limit" .... "well let's see" .... mu buddy opened his big cooler and should him our last tub of minnows, and said does this count ... yes he laughed!!!

So I asked how the hec did you know to come to pigeon lake and go right for the boat in the middle, in late October!!??

He said he had a call from his "off duty" buddy in boat number four. I thought it all makes sense now, boat four left as soon at the warden arrived. Thinking back now that boat number 4 was moving in circles around us and we were also being watched, but at that point we were all catch and release.

Here's my opinion, off duty guy should of told that guy to tag his fish, or else. We watched this senior fisherman, and he wasn't catching lots, maybe a couple of fish?

Anyways all boats tagged out after I gave out jigs, minnows and the tip. We also use stinger hooks, 1/2 of the fish were caught on the stingers only!

Anyways, no reason not to catch fish now ... may see you there on Saturday, another buddy has "c" tags, I know really "c" size, they are hard to catch, we maybe caught 5 of that size on Monday.
Old 10-23-2014, 04:18 PM

Default Off duty.

Sorry.

I think the off duty officer actions were perfect. He was not working. Likely did not have his gear ( defensive equipment radio ticket book etc) Nd also likely had friends or family with him. Not the time to engage a poacher.
He tells grandpa poacher to tag has fish and gets told to f. Off, then what? He engages the guy with no gear or back up and his kids in the boat? Far more professional to call in an on duty officer and act as a witness. No allegation of being an over zealous officer. No risk to his family and friends who are out fishing and not on a ride along.

Could be the off duty guy was really doing a covert operation to catch fish poachers and the on duty guy did not want to give that up?

Either way grandpa was going to steal fish so my kids could not catch them. Too
bad for him. Hope the courts are not merciful.

Glad you and your friend got out and got his draws filled and hope you all enjoyed Walleye supper.

Leaving the jig on the bottom of the lake is a favorite tactic of mine.
Have to be paying attention though!!!
Old 10-23-2014, 04:48 PM
Banned

I had success at battle lake this week the same exact way. Had to be jig head. No movement. Not even a straight hook with no movement. I lost my largest walleye. Would have pushed 12... grrrr still mad about it
Old 10-23-2014, 06:30 PM

Good to know, buck lake has been the same way jig on the bottom with no movement but constant fish if you get it just right.ill let ya know how i make out
Old 10-24-2014, 09:49 AM

Is the dock still in on the PP side? It has been pulled from Mulhurst for a while now.
Old 10-24-2014, 11:08 AM

EBRAND, I never thought of it that way, you are totally right, all actions from all the provincial employees were done the exact and right way, great comment and hope more people read your post and keep the look out for others not tagging asap!

As far as my buddy sharing his fillets, no phone call yet for supper, but I still have the phone in my hand!!

As far as the dock at the provincial park, they were actually taking it out on Monday the 20th, however all boats had no problem using the cement shore pier/weir, water right along the pier is about a foot and a half ... should also work for one man, self loaders and unloaders ... so get your butt out there and thrill the kids or fill your tags!
Old 10-24-2014, 02:39 PM

Default My perspective.

I don't know if it is right but it is possible....

Hope you get a phone call for a fish fry.

After 35 years at Isle Lake we are going to give Buck Lake a shot. With Pigeon and Battle so close I am going to have to relearn the rules and get back into fishing.

One thing I can guarantee. I have the report a poacher line on speed dial and I am happy to go to court as a witness. I want my kids to have fish to catch and be able to enjoy a fish fry.

EB.