Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 08-25-2014, 03:57 PM

Default Delete

I think a new auger is in the future for me. Here's a link

http://youtu.be/bVeB27dKTVk
"I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain."
Old 08-25-2014, 11:31 PM

I got the Jiffy 8" propane auger last season, it's a great auger, highly recommend the propane auger over the gas ones
Old 08-26-2014, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCFlyfishin View Post
I got the Jiffy 8" propane auger last season, it's a great auger, highly recommend the propane auger over the gas ones
That's how I felt after the first season with my propane auger, you'll be looking to trade it after this year.
I've had nothing but problems with mine last season, gladly trade it for a gas or electric
Old 08-26-2014, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Reel Deal View Post
That's how I felt after the first season with my propane auger, you'll be looking to trade it after this year.
I've had nothing but problems with mine last season, gladly trade it for a gas or electric

Really ? I have had mine since shorty after they came out 4 or 5 years ago. I drill a pile if holes with it ice fishing and gets used as a dirt auger and as well to open holes in the lake for the cows and the thing is indestructible can't beat it.
Old 08-26-2014, 05:45 PM

My trigger broke, the hose leaked and now it runs at 1/2 it's potential. It must have a problem with the carb. I still have warranty, need to remember to take it in before the season.
I'll buy an electric when they release a 10"
Old 08-26-2014, 05:47 PM

Crazy the only problem I had was when I bought propane from liquidation world had no power
Old 08-26-2014, 05:58 PM

What are the advantages of a propane auger?
Old 08-26-2014, 07:42 PM
Banned

I was really looking into getting a propane just cause it seems much cleaner and won't choke you to death if u decide to drill a hole inside the hut. But the ion seems like a good option too. Can't wait till Christmas Santa knows what I want
Old 08-26-2014, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavYak View Post
What are the advantages of a propane auger?

Don't have to carry gas/ or have to make premix

Mine starts first or second pull every time
Seems to run quiet
Very low emission if I drill inside the shack
Convenience I use the same 1 pound bottle as the heater.

I think what helps for cold days I leave the bottle in the warm truck/ tent then use it as fuel.

I really like mine but I have seen a few poor reviews on them on here, from what I read the ions are pretty good for electric or any 4 stroke gas ones.

The strike masters seem to get good reviews.
Old 08-26-2014, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lund rebel View Post

Mine starts first or second pull every time
Seems to run quiet
Very low emission if I drill inside the shack
Convenience I use the same 1 pound bottle as the heater.

I think what helps for cold days I leave the bottle in the warm truck/ tent then use it as fuel.

I really like mine but I have seen a few poor reviews on them on here, from what I read the ions are pretty good for electric or any 4 stroke gas ones.

The strike masters seem to get good reviews.

X2
Old 08-27-2014, 01:20 AM

Was at Superstore in Sh Pk today, outside clear-out on all the summer barbecue supplies where they have the 1lb Coleman bottles marked down to $2.95.
Old 08-27-2014, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lund rebel View Post
For those guys who are running propane augers, I have to ask...is the gas *really* that big of an issue? Not having to mix gas is often one of the first points that come up with propane augers, but I really don't see how it's that big of a problem...I fill up my 5L tank once at the beginning of the season and I'm set. Top up the auger once every few outings and that's it. How many 1lb tanks would an average fisherman go through in a season?

The idea of not choking yourself out while drilling in the tent is nice, but as I see it, that's the only real possible upside.

Having to either keep your propane bottles warm, or put on the little jacket with hand warmers on them seems like kind of a pain as well.

This of course is all theoretical and based on what I've read - mainly on AO...I don't know anybody who's actually made the move over to the propane auger yet...maybe when I see one in action I'll be sold on it, but for now I'll stick with my gassers

Time, it makes you old. Experience makes you wise. It's only a fool who judges life by what he sees in other peoples' eyes.
- Strung Out

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams
Old 08-27-2014, 08:46 AM

^ Kind of same things I was thinking. Mixing gas is easy and you still have to have an extra propane bottle with you so no difference there.

Propane augers are more expensive and heavier based on what I have read.

To me it is interesting but I don't see them as a big upgrade. I guess if I was looking for one to use I would consider it but more important to me is model robustness(where in this case some people have had issues) and drilling power(not sure how these compare, seem to be fine). I could care less about the little things like carrying gas.
Old 08-27-2014, 09:43 AM

Well for me they teach you on school is as soon as you add oil to the gas it goes stale bad within a few weeks and its is recommended to used within the month after being mixed, this prevent premature gumming up of the carb/ tanks and lines. I realize that lots of people leave fuel in and mixed for lkn times and have no issues but we see constantly cases where bad fuel costs you time out fishing. Kinda like that at the end of the season I can easily store it and not have to drain gas and run the carb dry. Some probally see this as excessive but I take extra steps to prevent premature problems and not a personal fan of fuel stabilizer.

Another thing we see lots is people taking auger out in cold and bringing back into warm garage and the amount of condensation tht occurs that after a season if they don't burnish fuel how diluted with water a tank can become.

These are extreme situations but it happens

I leave my fishing stuff in my truck all year and this way I don't have to worry about spilling gas.

It depends on where you fish/ ice thickness but a 1 pound bottle lasts a for a lot of holes.

That said when I bought mine there were not all that many 4 strokes available so I went this route have zero regrets.

I am just not a fan of two stroke engines period, I find them To be more temperamental, smelly and noisey.

But that's just my thought they still serve a purpose.
Old 08-27-2014, 10:29 AM
Banned

You get what you pay for. .. jiffy and Eskimos are crappy augers unless they are old. They work great for the occasional fisherman. ... if you want long lasting reliability get a Husqvarna, a stihl, a Tanaka with nilsmaster bit , honda engines,or the old school gas ones that were better made.. my 2 cents... propane is always a pain when it gets cold cold out there. .
Old 08-27-2014, 04:47 PM

Carbed engines are temperamental especially in cold weather. Fuel doesn't burn as a liquid but as a vapour, and that gets harder as it gets colder. Then it floods and you keep pulling and flooding it more. Propane is a gas and ignites very easily and will not flood.

Augers come down to preference. No auger is perfect in my mind. I chose propane since I take my SUV once in a while and don't want a fuel tank in the truck along with a smelly auger venting fumes for 2 hours while I drive. I like to cut holes in my tent and don't want to smell those fumes either. I don't want to top up gas cuz then it get on my hands or gloves and I gotta smell those fumes the whole day. Wow, I hate fumes!

Do propane tanks freeze up when it's -30? yes, so I keep a bottle warm
Would batteries freeze up or drain real fast if it was -30? probably, so keep a battery warm and charging
Is gas easy to mix? of course!

Just comes down to what's important to you.
Old 08-27-2014, 06:11 PM
Banned

Very true. Never had a problem with flooding though ever. . Just a cold seize once.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Reel Deal View Post
Carbed engines are temperamental especially in cold weather. Fuel doesn't burn as a liquid but as a vapour, and that gets harder as it gets colder. Then it floods and you keep pulling and flooding it more. Propane is a gas and ignites very easily and will not flood.

Augers come down to preference. No auger is perfect in my mind. I chose propane since I take my SUV once in a while and don't want a fuel tank in the truck along with a smelly auger venting fumes for 2 hours while I drive. I like to cut holes in my tent and don't want to smell those fumes either. I don't want to top up gas cuz then it get on my hands or gloves and I gotta smell those fumes the whole day. Wow, I hate fumes!

Do propane tanks freeze up when it's -30? yes, so I keep a bottle warm
Would batteries freeze up or drain real fast if it was -30? probably, so keep a battery warm and charging
Is gas easy to mix? of course!

Just comes down to what's important to you.
Old 08-27-2014, 07:28 PM

Propane, Gas 2 stroke, Electric and Gas 4 stroke are ALL better than a hand auger !!!!

I use a 2 stroke and mixing up a little can in December and not worrying about it until months later is nice ...... I might mix 5L all winter - and I'm out almost every weekend.
Old 08-27-2014, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZM View Post
Propane, Gas 2 stroke, Electric and Gas 4 stroke are ALL better than a hand auger !!!!

I use a 2 stroke and mixing up a little can in December and not worrying about it until months later is nice ...... I might mix 5L all winter - and I'm out almost every weekend.
But, I love my hand auger.....

Thomas Sowell
Old 08-27-2014, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZM View Post

I'd like to get a hand auger... Just in case!
I think I might have use 3 bottles of propane, and I fish every weekend and sometimes mid week