Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 08-28-2014, 05:37 AM

Default Fish finders

I am just wondering what people would recommend for a fish finder , gonna be used just on a small aluminum boat ?
Old 08-28-2014, 10:11 AM

Budget?

Fishfinders run from $1xx.xx to 3000.00+

made in Alberta__ born n raised.

FS-Tinfool hats by the roll.
Old 08-28-2014, 11:18 AM

Depends on budget and what you want it to do.

Colour is nice and makes it easier to read but costs more. GPS is nice but finding one with a decent base map is difficult(HDS models only ones I know of).

Then you have down imaging and side imaging. I have both but haven't used them enough to know if I feel it is really worthwhile or not.

The only thing I would avoid is the real cheap ones that don't give you decent information of bottom structure and the clamp on models.
Old 08-28-2014, 11:24 AM

Lowrance has just come out with a dual beam colour sonar for under 100 bucks. Lowrance Elite 3X http://www.lowrance.com/en-CA/News/Elite-3x/

Last edited by Mudslide; 08-28-2014 at 11:29 AM.
Old 08-28-2014, 10:56 PM

http://ca.humminbird.com/products/307016/385ci_Combo

I would suggest, if your budget allows, to get a "combo" unit - basically a sonar and a GPS chart plotter with a card slot.

This allows you to save specific waypoints and mark drop offs and area that you can save and return to. Having a GPS capable unit is probably one of the best investments you can make.

The unit I suggested has both those features, is $420, and you can buy the ice fishing kit for it and use it in the winter as well.

Lowrance units are also good choices at this price point.
Old 08-29-2014, 11:22 AM

I agree with the others on the basics of what you should be looking for - good 2D sonar readings, color screen and GPS capable. Everything else is a luxury and a function of $$$$.

Good 2D sonar and a color screen can be had for $200-300. Built in GPS is going to put the starting price at $400 and above, but it is worth every penny. Knowing your location and your speed are critical to successful fishing.

My other word of advice is to look at the biggest screen size you can afford, and then buy one size up from there lol. Screen size is king, especially when trying to view a map and sonar at the same time, or a map, 2D and DI at the same time, along with your depth reading, speed, water temp, time, etc... It all takes space and is much easier to read and understand on a larger screen.

Lowrance and Humminbird both make good units. I prefer Lowrance myself, so I'd suggest the Elite 5 HDI or the Elite 7 HDI. The Elite 7 gives you a much bigger screen, down imaging, an SD card slot, and the ability to use Insight Genesis, all of which are really nice luxuries for the added cost.

The HDS 5 and HDS 7 or HDS 7 Touch are also great options depending on your budget, they offer all the features of the top of line sonar units in a smaller screen version.
Old 08-29-2014, 11:32 AM

Alternatively to buying a GPS fish finder you might want to consider buying a basic fish finder and a hand held GPS. The hand held GPS units have much better background maps, you can purchase depth charts and you can also use it for hiking, hunting etc.

I am actually considering going this route myself, my HB and Navionics GPS just isn't up to my standards along with a couple other issues. I do like the maps on the HDS models though and if I was set on getting a new GPS model I wouldn't look at anything else.
Old 08-29-2014, 02:33 PM

Take a look at the Hummingbird buddy.

It clamps to the boat and runs on double A batteries.

They cost anywhere form 140 to 180. They do a good job as for letting you see structure depth fish ect. Then if you want GPS either use your phone or buy a hand held at Walmart for 100.

The buddy clamps on and off in seconds and you do not have to drill any holes to mount the transducer.

Good luck with your search.
Old 08-29-2014, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walleyedude View Post
I agree with the others on the basics of what you should be looking for - good 2D sonar readings, color screen and GPS capable. Everything else is a luxury and a function of $$$$.

Good 2D sonar and a color screen can be had for $200-300. Built in GPS is going to put the starting price at $400 and above, but it is worth every penny. Knowing your location and your speed are critical to successful fishing.

My other word of advice is to look at the biggest screen size you can afford, and then buy one size up from there lol. Screen size is king, especially when trying to view a map and sonar at the same time, or a map, 2D and DI at the same time, along with your depth reading, speed, water temp, time, etc... It all takes space and is much easier to read and understand on a larger screen.

Lowrance and Humminbird both make good units. I prefer Lowrance myself, so I'd suggest the Elite 5 HDI or the Elite 7 HDI. The Elite 7 gives you a much bigger screen, down imaging, an SD card slot, and the ability to use Insight Genesis, all of which are really nice luxuries for the added cost.

The HDS 5 and HDS 7 or HDS 7 Touch are also great options depending on your budget, they offer all the features of the top of line sonar units in a smaller screen version.

Best sonar advice I have seen here yet
Old 08-29-2014, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TROLLER View Post
Take a look at the Hummingbird buddy.

It clamps to the boat and runs on double A batteries.

They cost anywhere form 140 to 180. They do a good job as for letting you see structure depth fish ect. Then if you want GPS either use your phone or buy a hand held at Walmart for 100.

The buddy clamps on and off in seconds and you do not have to drill any holes to mount the transducer.

Good luck with your search.
I wouldn't use one, I know one guy that uses one in a kayak and another in a small tinner with only electric motor. Both have trouble with it vibrating loose at trolling speeds and if you had it on something faster then you need to remember to pull it out of the water all the time.

A regular fish finder is easily worth the slight inconvenience of having to mount the transducer imo.
Old 08-29-2014, 03:45 PM

There used to be another company that made the clamp on style, they were called Bottomline and also had a side view. Their clamp ons worked really well and the side scan function was very useful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavYak View Post
I wouldn't use one, I know one guy that uses one in a kayak and another in a small tinner with only electric motor. Both have trouble with it vibrating loose at trolling speeds and if you had it on something faster then you need to remember to pull it out of the water all the time.

A regular fish finder is easily worth the slight inconvenience of having to mount the transducer imo.
Old 08-29-2014, 04:45 PM

Use one on my small boat never came off when I was trolling.

Buddy has one on his zodiac with a 9.9 merc and his has yet to come off.
Old 09-02-2014, 11:43 AM

Just to share info, I have a Cuda 300 with a suction mount sonar that I use in an aluminum boat with a little 4 hp Evinrude. It always falls of at half throttle or more but stays on fairly well when trolling or anchored. Good to know depth and have a rough idea if there's any fish around. Got it used for $80 so I'm not complaining.
Old 09-03-2014, 10:56 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwedmon View Post
There used to be another company that made the clamp on style, they were called Bottomline and also had a side view. Their clamp ons worked really well and the side scan function was very useful.
Humminbird/Johnson Controls bought out Bottomline.
Old 09-04-2014, 01:50 PM

i use a humminbird buddy as well, never leave home without it. works fine when down in the water, mind you I only have a 55lbs trolling motor. Depends what you're doing, but for $80 off kijiji it's a no brainer. i actually just removed the holder from the actual clamp and drilled it into a custom transom mount and called it a day.