Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 08-29-2014, 11:20 AM
Banned

Cool polarized glasses thoights plz

My rapala glasses have given up the ghost after 10+ yrs of use , bought a new pair a few months ago ...broke already thoughts on maui jim's please 10% off at a local glasses retailer 180 $ is a lot to pay for sunnies, reviews and experience's . please and thank you
Old 08-29-2014, 11:36 AM

I bought a pair of Maui's two years ago and will never look back. They have a 7 layer lens and the pair I bought are virtually indestructible(they can be run over by a truck and not break). Mine have no hinges on them, which is nice for fitment and they will never fall off my face as the arms hold firmly on my head. I say do it!

Mine are like this, but a visor instead of two lense. Best $400 I ever spent.
Old 08-29-2014, 11:45 AM

I quit paying for expensive glasses years ago. This was after constantly damaging, losing or breaking them.

Now I just sport the elcheapo ones. They break or get lost.. no skin off my nose. I am rough with my eyewear.

If you want polarized look at these..

http://www.princessauto.com/pal/en/E...sses/8434532.p
Old 08-29-2014, 12:03 PM

I have worn Nike Veers for several years now.

Extremely light and comfortable. Good fit so doesn't fall down your nose. Breathing nose piece to let sweat escape reducing lens fogging. By far the best sunglasses I've ever owned.

Mine specifically have the interchangeable lens, but you can buy them with just the polarized lenses.

Cheers
Old 08-29-2014, 12:26 PM

Spent the cash for some Pelagics, they are awesome! And you can order a variety of different lenses for different types of water/light/conditions
Old 08-29-2014, 12:33 PM

Depends what you want them for. The Maui Jim's are good, but if your after an out and out fish spotting pair spend a little extra and go for the Costas with appropriate colured lens. They are worn all over world by the majority of sight fishing guides for a reason....
Old 08-29-2014, 12:42 PM
Gone Hunting

Shooters optometrist http://www.drbarrynolt.com/

He's a sponsor here.

Or go to the dollar store. One buck for sunglasses 3.999 for a can of black spray paint. Be sure you are wearing the glasses when you spray the lenses , so you get maximum coverage.

Hope this helps.

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand
Old 08-29-2014, 12:57 PM

I bought a pair of used costas at one point but was very disappointed in them. I quickly realized that lens colour is very important(grey is not good for sight fishing) and I believe glass over plastic lenses makes a big difference too.

Now I use a cheaper pair that I got from bass pro and they work better then the costas did because they have the right colour(green/amber).

For the majority of lake fishing around here I wouldn't bother spending big amounts as they don't make that much of a difference(very rarely sight fishing). If I lived in Florida fishing inshore flats all the time I would probably buy an expensive pair with green glass lenses though.
Old 08-29-2014, 01:13 PM

I have a pair of Polarized Maui Jim MJ sport readers for fishing. They are bifocals with 2.0 magnification on the bottom for tying tiny flies on. I only use them for fly fishing so they don't go through everyday hazards. Wear them with the straps which I think have prolonged their life considerably. Bought these in Kalispell at the Ski Haus for about 160.00
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1070142r.jpg (181.5 KB, 40 views)
Old 08-29-2014, 01:13 PM

Cabelas handles Costa. I would check them out before you make a decision.
Old 08-29-2014, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEWB View Post
I quit paying for expensive glasses years ago. This was after constantly damaging, losing or breaking them.

Now I just sport the elcheapo ones. They break or get lost.. no skin off my nose. I am rough with my eyewear.

If you want polarized look at these..

http://www.princessauto.com/pal/en/E...sses/8434532.p
+1

I've lost so many glasses. Last expensive pair that I lost were a pair of metal framed Ray Ban ($260). So easy to lose or damage when you do a lot of flyfishing. These days I just go for a cheap, decent pair of polarized.
Old 08-29-2014, 02:25 PM

Unless you are hung up on a designer name you do not need to pay big bucks for a pair if sun glasses with polarized lens.

Company I retired from used to give out glasses with the polaraized lens and they cost us about 50 bucks.

Your choice go expensive or go frugal. Both the same in the long run.
Old 08-29-2014, 02:30 PM

Oakley. They got a lens for every application and a lot of different frames.
Old 08-29-2014, 02:32 PM

I've liked the pairs of Oakleys polarized that I've owned as well.
Old 08-29-2014, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TROLLER View Post
Unless you are hung up on a designer name you do not need to pay big bucks for a pair if sun glasses with polarized lens.

Company I retired from used to give out glasses with the polaraized lens and they cost us about 50 bucks.

Sounds great!
Give us a name or a source for these please. Did you see any bifocals for 50.00?
I had to pay 160.00 and would really like to avoid paying that much so if you could provide any specific detail it would be great. I have been on to many wild goose chases in the past.
Old 08-29-2014, 04:42 PM

Maui Jim's are great, coming from my wife who works in optometry.
I got Oakley and Spy polarized and happy with both
Old 08-29-2014, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lannie View Post
Sounds great!
Give us a name or a source for these please. Did you see any bifocals for 50.00?
I had to pay 160.00 and would really like to avoid paying that much so if you could provide any specific detail it would be great. I have been on to many wild goose chases in the past.
Why not just buy reading glasses you can get 3 pair at Costco for under 30 bucks. I too have bifocals that cost me 200 and now just buy the cheap's which are the same strength and don't worry about where I left them

Any store will have non prescription polarized sun glasses. London Drugs. Shoppers, Costco just have to inquire as to which ones are polarized.
Old 08-29-2014, 05:11 PM

Been using Rapala fishing glasses also .
Did a test ,buddy wearing Oakley and me with Rapala this year.

Was fishing and caught a laker deep down in clear water.
The test was to yell when we could see the laker before it was out of the water.
It was a tie ,we seen it at the same time.

Bad thing about these cheep sunglass ,after a long day fishing my eyes would burn on the drive home in the truck.

Just bought some Oakley's with Shallow blue lenses that are made for fishing and hunting.
Was going to buy Maui Jims ,but they do not offer these lenses .
They are like HD TV these shallow blue lenses when out side .
Eyes do not burn after a long day fishing as the cheep glasses do.

Be aware of the sales men that show you a picture that shows you more when wearing Maui than a pair of Oakleys.
As I thing they are using a cheep Oakley lens and a high end Maui Jim lens.

Oakley has 5 times more lenses to pick from. Golfing,Deep fishing,shallow fishing,skiing etc.

Last edited by -JR-; 08-29-2014 at 05:20 PM.
Old 08-29-2014, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Why not just buy reading glasses you can get 3 pair at Costco for under 30 bucks. I too have bifocals that cost me 200 and now just buy the cheap's which are the same strength and don't worry about where I left them

Any store will have non prescription polarized sun glasses. London Drugs. Shoppers, Costco just have to inquire as to which ones are polarized.
I want Polarized bi focal sun glasses. Reading glasses I would have to take off when not tying flies on or you would look like your drunk while you were wading with them on. It would be funny to watch but I just want one pair to wear and I thought I did well for 160, but would love to pay 50.
Old 08-29-2014, 07:30 PM

I have used Maui Jim's Kahuna's for years with amber lenses.

Unmatched clarity and eye relief. I have tried most brands during 20 years of fishing tournaments and I will not leave the house without my Maui's.

Most good brands will out perform the cheap brands but the quality lenses will allow you better sight advantage on those days when the fish are shallow. I consistently pick out fish before people fishing with me while wearing the Maui's.

Your choice but the problem with high quality sunglasses is you will have a hard time wearing cheap ones again.

Old 08-29-2014, 08:58 PM

Quote:

Not even close !! Put on a good pair of polarized like Maui and you won't cheap out again !
Old 08-29-2014, 09:18 PM

https://www.costadelmar.com/shop/sun...na-alley/12779

Tuna Alley ............... I love Tuna
Old 08-29-2014, 10:15 PM
Banned

Cool cheers lads

Went with the maui 's 180 $ . The reason being the lifetime warranty on hingez I like a good warranty. They thru in a cleaning kit 20 $ ish . Tried on 10 pairs to find a set I liked.
Now to put this in to context for me ...my faithful rapalas were 20 $ and lasted 10 odd yrs so to be equal my maui's will have to last 80 yrs give or take
Thank you all for your input. Found oaklies bulky and every tom and harry has a pair ... especially white for some reason ??? Ray bans were very close to the maui's just could not find a set that felt comfy on my odd shaped mellon.
A special t t f thank you to RF for attempting an almost constructive suggestion on my thread.
Tight linez on the Labour day long , long casts, fair winds catch a big'un . cheers lads
FG.
Old 08-30-2014, 09:55 AM

Maui's are excellent, I have had several pairs. You may also want to look at kaenon, they have one of the best lenses I have ever worn. Another polarized option to consider is Bomber: descent lens and the best part is they float.

Regards
Old 08-30-2014, 11:00 AM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by lannie View Post
Sounds great!
Have you tried Zenni Online.

I have prescrition sunglasses from them. I'm very happy with the glasses and the price. I think about $50 or less.

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand
Old 08-30-2014, 12:09 PM

I have had 3 pairs of Costas they are unreal my favorite are the tuna alley with the 580g blue lens. One pair broke well I ran them over by accident..... I have 2 pairs of Maui Jims and love them too my favorite style are seawalls they are a glass frame with smoked grey lens.
With both brands you need to get into their top end stuff but it is so worth it. Their cheaper stuff feels like cheap gas station glasses that are over priced. Glass or plastic frame is personal preference for fishing I prefer plastic.
You can't go wrong with either Maui or costa just try some on and spend the extra money to get their top end stuff it is worth it.
Old 08-30-2014, 03:41 PM

Default Smith Optics

You can also check out Smith Optics.

http://www.smithoptics.ca/?welcome=1

They have some good polarized lenses in different colors wih different styles of frames. One thing i really like about them is that they also have a Pro-Program that you can sign up for and get things 50% off.

I have a couple different pairs of their glasses, one with interchangable lenses and i use them for everything from fishing to hunting to shooting to just everyday wear. Check them out.
Old 08-30-2014, 11:36 PM

I vote for costas too ..lol... check theit site they have a great selection for whatever your looking for ...and they can be prescription too
Old 08-31-2014, 08:10 AM
Banned

RYDERS...

Great polarized sunglasses for under $100
Old 08-31-2014, 09:07 PM

I use the walmart fit overs for flats fishing. They have the non fit over style also. They work well. I leave them for the guide at the end of the trip. Best thing they cost $25.
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin