Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 05-03-2019, 01:26 PM

Default kayak

I an looking for advise. I have a 14 foot canoe, however am thinking on going with sit on kayak for fishing. is there any advantages in kayak fishing ?
Old 05-03-2019, 10:31 PM

Haven't tried kayak fishing but for sure you would want to wait until the water warms up to get the hang of it.
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 05-03-2019, 10:48 PM

If you get a pedal drive kayak you can troll along happily and still have the use of your hands.
Old 05-05-2019, 05:27 PM

I have a Pelican 120 NXT and I love it. However, I use it for floating and fishing on rivers and its great. Pack enough stuff to spend a couple nights on the water. Very stable.
Old 05-06-2019, 08:01 AM

Given your fishing alone

More comfortable
More stable
Faster
easier to fish out of

A canoe is generally dryer that a SOT kayak and carry more stuff if you are on a multi day trip
Old 05-06-2019, 11:56 AM

I've fished out of a canoe since I was 10 years old and used a kayak more recently, a SOT kayak has a few major advantages. One is that it gets blown around less than a canoe, another is that rescuing oneself in the event of an upset is far more simple and therefore I am more comfortable straying farther from shore in rough weather. It is more easy for a solo paddler to cover more water in a kayak, especially in wind.

That said, I truly believe that a lot of they hype around fishing kayaks is simply because the learning curve is far less steep, and many of the people singing their praises simply never learned to handle a canoe properly.

A canoe is way dryer, and therefore warmer on any day where that is a factor... so most days. It can haul more gear, and it is far more versatile.

One can move around more in a canoe and even stand up, so despite the more comfortable seats of a kayak I find I can spend longer periods of time in a canoe without getting uncomfortable.

A canoe is more portable, everyone thinks a kayak is going to be easyer to pack around because they are smaller, but the truth is that there is no real convenient way to carry them. If I cant get a vehicle to within 50 yards or so of where I want to launch I'll take the canoe every single time.

And last but not least.... I can stand up and take a leak out of my canoe, nuff said.

Last edited by Bushleague; 05-06-2019 at 12:02 PM.
Old 05-06-2019, 01:07 PM

If you are nimble enough to stand in a canoe you can stand in most fishing kayaks .

On hot days I can sit sideways and have my feet in the water.

Who caries a kayak, that is what carts are for,
Park in the lot
rig up the boat
walk to the water
stow the cart
fish

It saves the hassle of waiting in line for the launch or multiple trips to haul gear.

Hard work may eventually pay of
laziness pays of right now
Old 05-06-2019, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aulrich View Post
If you are nimble enough to stand in a canoe you can stand in most fishing kayaks .

On hot days I can sit sideways and have my feet in the water.

Who caries a kayak, that is what carts are for,
Park in the lot
rig up the boat
walk to the water
stow the cart
fish

It saves the hassle of waiting in line for the launch or multiple trips to haul gear.

Hard work may eventually pay of
laziness pays of right now
Different strokes for different folks. But I launch my canoe in a number of places that I can not easily drag a cart to. And that, IMO, is the advantage of this type of craft. You make up for your lack of speed, compared to a motorised boat, by using launches that the boats cant, and often fishing water that they cant easily get to.

I have a good sized fishing boat, but many of my best spots are a very long boat ride from the nearest launch. With the canoe or kayak however I can often launch much closer, and I can simply head for shore if things get rough rather than try and make it back to the launch.
Old 05-06-2019, 03:14 PM

I think it is all personal preference. I have been fishing out of a canoe for years. I have always thought about trying a kayak but I can't think of anything that a kayak can do that my canoe can't. Plus if I want company I don't have to find someone that has a kayak.
Old 05-07-2019, 10:19 PM

Default feedback

great feedback guys...I as well grew up fishing from a canoe. just last year I used a electric motor. what do you guys find the best mounting location, in relation to seat? I find I am always twisted trying to steer.
Old 05-08-2019, 07:28 AM

I'm having a great time with my kayak. I do have a big boat, but I got this to access all those little ponds or the non-motor lakes. Mines an Ascend FS12T from Basspro. It is super comfy with the lawn chair type seat, fully adjustable. Lots of storage. Rip around the lake no problem. Wasn't sure how it was going to perform, but turned out to be very stable and can stand in it (but rarely do). The bottom is shaped like a M. Took it out to Sylvan one weekend, wearing a wetsuit, and thought I'm going to practice if I ever do go for a swim. It's almost impossible to flip over on its side. Had to work hard to purposely capsize. Turning it right side up, and climbing back in was quite easy. Also have been out where the big waves coming over the front end, and again no problems. I've rigged up an anchor system, rod holders, home made buggy.
Mine is middle of the road, some way more expensive than mine, but for the money, it does pretty good. There are a few others on here with fancy rigs, and more experience than I am, but for me, this works.
It is exciting when a big pike pulls me around.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SDC10039.jpg (99.3 KB, 81 views)
File Type: jpg SDC10041.jpg (110.0 KB, 79 views)
Old 03-03-2020, 12:03 PM

I bought a Jackson Big Rig HDFD. Best money I could have spent. Super stable and you can totally stand in it to fish. You'd have to really try hard to get it to flip. I can easily be paddled, I bought the peddle system, and one day I may upgrade that to give me the option of an electric motor. Lots of room, super comfortable. Never looking back. Have a look at the video below for a full breakdown.

Big Rig HDFD Video

There are other models, but I wanted the biggest and most stable unit.
Old 03-03-2020, 12:19 PM

I picked up two person inflatable kayak couple years ago. Two person. Mounted a electric trolling motor. My son took it out last spring to try it the ditch. He had no problem standing in it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20180426_182440_resized.jpg (48.4 KB, 53 views)
Old 03-03-2020, 12:24 PM

I have a jackson kayak big tuna! Its a really fun method to get on the water. super stable so i can stand and cast from it. Its longer then the average kayak. Tandem so you can seat two people or put one seat in the middle. Me and my wife use it around all the lakes here and we have taken it to sunshine coast to fish on the ocean. Stable and safe for big water. Having the rudder is a big bonus. It tracks straight in windy conditions.

This one is a little big and heavy for just one person though. If i was fishing by myself i would get a solo kayak that is a little lighter.

YouTube:@huyfishin Fishing Videos!

Respect wildlife
Old 03-03-2020, 06:43 PM

You can go out in rougher waters without worrying about getting capsized.

Wind doesn't push you around as bad.

Faster and easier to paddle (at least compared to the canoe I used to have).

Pedal drive kayaks keep your hands free for fishing which is a huge advantage, not to mention you don't get as tired with a pedal kayak as you do paddling a canoe or kayak.

Easier to specialize for fishing, lots already come with rod holders and fish finder mounting systems, storage spots etc.

Lots of the fishing kayaks are easy to stand in.

Lots of options that can be specialized to the kind of fishing you want to do and options that are decent in almost any situation. I've used my kayaks offshore in BC, white sturgeon fishing in BC, NSR and Red Deer river, small ponds and big lakes all over AB and SK, inshore and offshore in Florida. You name it there is often a way to fish it in a kayak.

I've owned a canoe and used a couple others, multiple kayaks, two tinners, an inflatable pontoon and been on multiple fishing boats. A pedal drive kayak is still my go to most of the time, imo they are the best solo man powered craft for fishing. The only way I would consider going back to a canoe would be if it was a flat stern canoe with an outboard or trolling motor. That said I wouldn't go back to a paddle kayak either, they work fine especially if you just want to get out and have some fun but I like to cover ground and be hands free for fishing.
Old 03-05-2020, 07:29 PM

Default Kayak fishing

I bought a kayak last spring, I wanted to try one, good exercise paddling and you're high up on the vessel, extremely comfortable seat. I bought a FeelFree 10.5 fishing kayak as I didn't know if I was even going to like fishing from one. Turns out I really enjoyed it all summer and only wished I bought a peddle drive instead as it would give you more freedom with your hands. They are heavy compared to a canoe tho and that is my only complaint. My two cents
Old 03-06-2020, 05:17 PM

I got rid of the 115hp outboard motor boat, too much smoke on the lake because of mixing the petro with oil... so i went with a wilderness kayak that i still gotta check out this summer... if any one out there that has kayak and likes fishing message me and we will hit the lakes and small lakes.. and catch some big fish. Im located in calgary...im a novice kayaker.
Old 03-06-2020, 05:25 PM

So what can a guy expect a decent peddle kayak to set them back?

They have always interested me but have not tried fishing from one and none of my good friends use them.
Old 03-06-2020, 09:04 PM

I've had a number of Hobie pedal kayaks, over the past 15 years and have used them on big rivers (Columbia), tiny puddles, and eveything in between. For fishing, hands-free pedal kayaks are the cats-ass, and these days, there are a bunch of different manufacturers. Even Pelican has one! Rigging an electric trolling motor on my Hobies has been pretty easy, and very helpful in covering a lot of water quickly, or in travelling upstream on a river.
I've even found them an excellent platform for duck hunting - just slide them into the reeds and they're much easier to get into and out of than my old canoe.
I can't kneel in a canoe any more, and my butt its cramped sitting in them!
Old 03-06-2020, 10:31 PM

I had a feel free lure, the seat is bar none the best around. It pops out and you can use it use as a camp chair. On a multi day river float it was the envy of the camp. That said, I almost killed myself with Yak going through some rapids. LJ's are your friend and probably saved my butt. That said I was having an absolute blast until my line hit a drop into a back-flow from a rock and filled the front and forced me to capsize. Had buddies in a large inflatable and a 1 man pontoon to help me recover which was great. I did spend a lot of time back paddling waiting for them at different times. The Yak is like a hot knife through butter on the river compared to those vessels.

I did sell the unit and miss it, but have 2 kids now so any future watercraft need to accommodate that.

I will say though for anyone that hasn't experienced a sit on top fishing kayak, it will feel more tippy than you hope.
Old 03-09-2020, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoky buck View Post
So what can a guy expect a decent peddle kayak to set them back?

They have always interested me but have not tried fishing from one and none of my good friends use them.
Pedal kayaks are like any boat. Prices can get crazy pretty quickly! A decent name-brand pedal drive usually start at $2k. Average price is about $3k. Keep your eye on the used market and you should be able to pick one up before the season opens. They are still fairly new and usually folks want quite a bit for them.

In Edmonton and Calgary the place to go is Aquabatics. They carry most of the brands. I think Glenmore Sailboats also sells pedal drive kayaks. Canadian tire is carrying one as well but I think it’s still $2000.

If you are in the Edmonton area hit me up in the spring and you can try my pedal drive out. I will warn you, its addicting...
Old 03-10-2020, 05:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StringTheory View Post
Pedal kayaks are like any boat. Prices can get crazy pretty quickly! A decent name-brand pedal drive usually start at $2k. Average price is about $3k. Keep your eye on the used market and you should be able to pick one up before the season opens. They are still fairly new and usually folks want quite a bit for them.

In Edmonton and Calgary the place to go is Aquabatics. They carry most of the brands. I think Glenmore Sailboats also sells pedal drive kayaks. Canadian tire is carrying one as well but I think it’s still $2000.

If you are in the Edmonton area hit me up in the spring and you can try my pedal drive out. I will warn you, its addicting...
Thanks for the offer I am in Drayton so odds are we will be fishing some of the same lakes this season