Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 03-09-2020, 08:15 PM

Default Fishing in the Bait on Cold Lake *Video*

Sometimes a person just finds the right spot at the right time. These lake trout had the bait all pushed up along a steep drop off. It took a little bit at the start of the day to figure out what they wanted to feed on as a cycled through my baits. But after I found what they wanted and when they came in feeding it turned into an awesome day sometimes up to 4 lakers on the screen at a time. I often find the key is to induce that reaction bite the longer you give them to inspect your lure can often reduce the chance you have at catching a fish. Some days giving these fish that split-second decision on lunch can make or break your day. Once again thanks for watching I'm haveing a blast makeing these videos. Hopefully the next one will have a giant Mantioba Laker in it!

Check it out for yourself!

https://youtu.be/SypdVCMGjTc
Old 03-09-2020, 10:47 PM

Excellent Video !!! You hit the nail on the head when you mention some people think the marks on the helix is interference. That's exactly what happens to me. I usually can pull a few out when the helix looks like that. Now I understand what to do . Thanks Weavster.

Last edited by Jawjacker; 03-09-2020 at 10:55 PM.
Old 03-10-2020, 07:35 AM

Well done again Weav... summer fishing finding the bait schools is always the goal of a good troll. If the bait are hi enough 30-35’ there will also be some terrific pike just under them.
When I used to winter fish trout and of course couldn’t chase out feed schools my priority was always sunken humps. If in deep water those humps came up to 30-40’ they always held fish on top and down the sides.

Osky
Old 03-10-2020, 08:40 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.
Thumbs up

Very true Matt....keep'em coming......I like to hit a shelf that goes 50-140 type drop off over a rather short distance....I will poke around that area and not leave the bait working different depths.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 03-10-2020, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jawjacker View Post
Excellent Video !!! You hit the nail on the head when you mention some people think the marks on the helix is interference. That's exactly what happens to me. I usually can pull a few out when the helix looks like that. Now I understand what to do . Thanks Weavster.
Hey I've had many messages on that. The first time I had seen it i though my unit was broke until i looked down my hole and seen 1000's of cisco about 4-6" long right under the ice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osky View Post
Well done again Weav... summer fishing finding the bait schools is always the goal of a good troll. If the bait are hi enough 30-35’ there will also be some terrific pike just under them.
When I used to winter fish trout and of course couldn’t chase out feed schools my priority was always sunken humps. If in deep water those humps came up to 30-40’ they always held fish on top and down the sides.
Osky
You bet! I love when you come trolling over a school of bait and both rods go off. Then you know its time to put that minkota on spot lock and pick that place apart with some tubes or bondy's!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
Very true Matt....keep'em coming......I like to hit a shelf that goes 50-140 type drop off over a rather short distance....I will poke around that area and not leave the bait working different depths.
I do defiantly believe that when you find a good concentration of bait its only a matter of time before the fish come in to feed. Usually when it is like this the bait are pushed up because the fish are feeding. Then its only a matter of cycling through a couple baits to figure out what they are looking for that day.
Old 03-10-2020, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weavster View Post
Hey I've had many messages on that. The first time I had seen it i though my unit was broke until i looked down my hole and seen 1000's of cisco about 4-6" long right under the ice.

You bet! I love when you come trolling over a school of bait and both rods go off. Then you know its time to put that minkota on spot lock and pick that place apart with some tubes or bondy's!

I do defiantly believe that when you find a good concentration of bait its only a matter of time before the fish come in to feed. Usually when it is like this the bait are pushed up because the fish are feeding. Then its only a matter of cycling through a couple baits to figure out what they are looking for that day.
I also lay a little special something on the bottom too....funny how sometimes that is the key to not getting skunked...and then changing up your bait, presentation....sometimes they prefer a little something out of the norm.

Old 03-10-2020, 01:34 PM

Gord pyzer did a little video on how the lake trout use the bottom of the ice to push the minnows up and feed on them

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Old 03-10-2020, 01:56 PM

Great video, really shows how those finders work for us that have never seen one used. Whats the color band showing up at the LH upper screen?
Old 03-10-2020, 04:56 PM

Great video again.It was cool to see the fish down the hole 30ft just as you hooked into it.That water has to be very clear.Super job on the camera work.Now im hooked on watching all your videos but the problem is its right before i go to bed and end up losing sleep!Best of luck on your next adventure.
Old 03-10-2020, 05:09 PM

thanks for sharing that video it was really insightful.
Old 03-10-2020, 06:05 PM

Weavster.
I like a troll thru the bait fish in different directions running the trolling lines at about the bottom of the bait school. Break the troll every 40 yards or so and let the lures flutter down for a few seconds before going back to speed. Any big pike or muskies hanging under the schools like to hit those fluttering down. Some big trout as well. Pike and muskies I have caught down to 45 feet under schools, deeper than that it’s trout that hit.
After doing this I go back and work them vertically.

Osky
Old 03-11-2020, 05:22 PM

hey weavster, what model humminbird flasher are u using? are u happy with it? would you recommend it. i have a ice 35 and im really enjoying. fun to use for sure. im gonna upgrade for next winter, just lookin for some recommendations.
Old 03-11-2020, 05:45 PM

Quote:
I also lay a little special something on the bottom too....funny how sometimes that is the key to not getting skunked...and then changing up your bait, presentation....sometimes they prefer a little something out of the norm.
Defiantly the key some days!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 35 whelen View Post
Gord pyzer did a little video on how the lake trout use the bottom of the ice to push the minnows up and feed on them

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
I've heard that before. Would be fun to witness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sooner View Post
Great video, really shows how those finders work for us that have never seen one used. Whats the color band showing up at the LH upper screen?
Thats just the bottom if its what i think your talking about
Old 03-11-2020, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RACKER View Post
Great video again.It was cool to see the fish down the hole 30ft just as you hooked into it.That water has to be very clear.Super job on the camera work.Now im hooked on watching all your videos but the problem is its right before i go to bed and end up losing sleep!Best of luck on your next adventure.
Thanks! ya I never realized that fish hit it right there almost on camera until i went to edit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by THMF View Post
thanks for sharing that video it was really insightful.
Thanks i had a blast making it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by aly69 View Post
hey weavster, what model humminbird flasher are u using? are u happy with it? would you recommend it. i have a ice 35 and im really enjoying. fun to use for sure. im gonna upgrade for next winter, just lookin for some recommendations.
Thats the Helix 7. Absolutely love it as i have 9s on my boat so i can just swap my mapping card out to my ice unit and good to go! Best part is they are multi seasonal if you buy the other transducer for the boat
Old 03-11-2020, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osky View Post
Weavster.
I like a troll thru the bait fish in different directions running the trolling lines at about the bottom of the bait school. Break the troll every 40 yards or so and let the lures flutter down for a few seconds before going back to speed. Any big pike or muskies hanging under the schools like to hit those fluttering down. Some big trout as well. Pike and muskies I have caught down to 45 feet under schools, deeper than that it’s trout that hit.
After doing this I go back and work them vertically.

Osky
that would be some fun! We've got the odd one fishing lakers up in 50 ft as well they are often pretty nice pike
Old 03-11-2020, 06:46 PM

ok i have a helix 5 on my boat. it has a flasher in it i know. ive seen it. never used it. i guess i could just buy another transducer and power cord for it. is that what your doing??
Old 03-11-2020, 06:50 PM

Quote:
that would be some fun! We've got the odd one fishing lakers up in 50 ft as well they are often pretty nice pike
You calling me oddok I am just a bit..luv cruising just off a 50' hump that dips down real quick....my best laker was caught in 9' of watertargeting pike and then cruised out and caught pike in 27'...ice just off the lake has them kinda wonky for a few weeks or so.

Old 03-11-2020, 07:46 PM

Quote:

Weav.. If you noticed when you catch those deep pike and musky under the ciscoe schools they are generally the prettiest of that species in the lake. Almost translucent like blue water ocean fish.
When you consider a school of ten thousand ciscoe or more how many a day die and flutter down? I think some big predators have learned to live year round under them in that clean water. Just waiting and watching.....

Osky
Old 03-11-2020, 07:49 PM

Quote:
You calling me oddok I am just a bit..luv cruising just off a 50' hump that dips down real quick....my best laker was caught in 9' of watertargeting pike and then cruised out and caught pike in 27'...ice just off the lake has them kinda wonky for a few weeks or so.
I have caught a lot of very big trout in shallow water while running lipped baits for walleye. Late May, cloudy day, and out front of a good sized stream or river coming into the lake.

Osky