Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 03-02-2020, 08:26 AM

Default What are some of your options of lakes to goto when windy?

We have a decision to make. What lake to goto when it is windy as @$#%. Supposed to be high 30's to 70km/hr winds today and the next few days. We were on the way to calling lake but cant get on lake without sled or atv due to drifts and deep snow. Would like to go to a lake where we can drive on with no problems and maybe set up tent down wind of truck to block wind a bit. Our options today and the next few days are Gull(have a few tags to fill), Lanonne (get a few pike and hopefully land some decent size perch but probably not happening as they small guys this year for us so far), st anne same. These lakes that we know we can drive on with no issues. Would like to have a fish fry tonight so somewhere we can keep a few for supper. Has this wind screwed your day over too?
Old 03-02-2020, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skawtty View Post
We have a decision to make. What lake to goto when it is windy as @$#%. Supposed to be high 30's to 70km/hr winds today and the next few days. We were on the way to calling lake but cant get on lake without sled or atv due to drifts and deep snow. Would like to go to a lake where we can drive on with no problems and maybe set up tent down wind of truck to block wind a bit. Our options today and the next few days are Gull(have a few tags to fill), Lanonne (get a few pike and hopefully land some decent size perch but probably not happening as they small guys this year for us so far), st anne same. These lakes that we know we can drive on with no issues. Would like to have a fish fry tonight so somewhere we can keep a few for supper. Has this wind screwed your day over too?
Yes, screwed up my day. Told the kids last night they could come fishing instead of going to school, they were terribly disappointed this morning to say the least
Old 03-02-2020, 08:43 AM

Default Tent in wind

Drill 3 holes in ice, but don`t go through to water. Put poles in the holes to hold a tarp. The holes are in a triangle position, with point of triangle pointed into the wind to protect the tent. Another similar smaller windbreak for cooking area.
Old 03-02-2020, 09:55 AM

Default Heed the wind!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It's windy down here?

A guy has to heed the forecast the day before, when considering fishing down here........and I always do.

Even still, this happened to me...

One week ago...the wind speed and gust winds were marginal for me to consider going fishing, but I went anyway.

I don't usually carry around a six man tent when fishing solo, but on this occasion I had it with me because I used it the day before with a buddy. It's usual for me to take my 3/4 man tent. So I set it up in the morn around 0730ish with little difficulty because the wind was fairly calm. It was also forecast to be mainly sunny, but as is often the case the wind comes up with the sun and as the morning progressed so did the wind.

I should have packed it in when one of the hub wall straps (connected in the middle with nylon release buckles) came apart at the buckle causing the leading hub to pop inside. Should have heeded that warning but instead, not trusting the buckles to stay together, I tied the strap together, thinking I put the big bad wolf to bed. Every so often a loud gust could be heard coming from upwind. A little disconcerting but the tent always stayed together. Early in the afternoon, the bite waning, I was contemplating calling it a day when I heard a freight train coming (there is no tracks for 30 kms). Inside the tent the roar of the train was getting louder and closer...…inside the tent I was looking at the hub that would be bearing the full force of that noise. Wham, in 1/10 of second I was no longer sheltered by a tent, it was 200 yards downwind and collapsing.

The nylon summer deck chair that I was sitting on had broken and I was down on the ice, shell shocked, my head hurt and I felt for blood.... none there, I looked around to see what else might be threatening me...my 20# propane tank was on it's side, the sunflower heater element broken off, the tank was venting propane rapidly, shut that off! Flasher on it's side, still working, jigging jaw jacker flipped over still jigging, tackle and hooks everywhere.

This tent was secured to the ice with twelve ice screws, every one of them still screwed into the ice, every one of them had a torn strap connected to it.

I've got a nasty wound on my head just above my right eye. Still hurts one week later.

Heed the wind!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !

Last edited by CNP; 03-02-2020 at 10:17 AM.
Old 03-02-2020, 10:40 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

holy crap eh but how was the fishin'?

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 03-02-2020, 10:55 AM

I just don't bother anymore. My dad and I had a trip planned to Blood Indian on Saturday, but the conditions wouldn't allow for an enjoyable trip.

I recall a few years ago when my wife and I were taking a break and having a sandwich in the truck. I look over and notice that all of our gear that was inside of the tent was sitting on the ice, with no tent to be found! Looking further down the ice, I see an 8 man tent tumbling down the lake. Ended up chasing it in my truck, getting out, chasing it some more, then tumbling in the snow when it was finally within reach. A barbed wire fence ended up slowing down its journey
Old 03-02-2020, 11:23 AM

The fish can’t get out of the lake, and fishing season is most of the year. Pick a more enjoyable day

Or drive to your known spot, put out some of those round tip-ups that cover the holes, and sit in the truck drinking coffee until you see a flag.
Old 03-02-2020, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3blade View Post
The fish can’t get out of the lake, and fishing season is most of the year. Pick a more enjoyable day

Or drive to your known spot, put out some of those round tip-ups that cover the holes, and sit in the truck drinking coffee until you see a flag.
Yep... while the trail back across the pressure ridge drifts in and the shorelines disappear into the driving snow. I've used this option quite a few times... but bring a compass, shovel, and be ready for an adventure.
Old 03-02-2020, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinelakeperch View Post
I just don't bother anymore. My dad and I had a trip planned to Blood Indian on Saturday, but the conditions wouldn't allow for an enjoyable trip.
There is the key there. If you are not going to enjoy it, do something else and live to fish another day.

For ice fishing really windy days also makes you move a lot less and you are less productive.

That said,
If you really have "that spot" and it is closer to home, then I will go for it and use the truck to block. Of course, if you have this option. That is what I did on Saturday. Tent was touching up against the truck. Stayed to Pigeon and used the truck to block. Got a bit stuck on the way out in the blizzard. In 20 min I was off and going again. I was fine with this choice say rather than driving over 2 hours to Calling to risk it.
Old 03-03-2020, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNP View Post
It's windy down here?

A guy has to heed the forecast the day before, when considering fishing down here........and I always do.

Even still, this happened to me...

One week ago...the wind speed and gust winds were marginal for me to consider going fishing, but I went anyway.

I don't usually carry around a six man tent when fishing solo, but on this occasion I had it with me because I used it the day before with a buddy. It's usual for me to take my 3/4 man tent. So I set it up in the morn around 0730ish with little difficulty because the wind was fairly calm. It was also forecast to be mainly sunny, but as is often the case the wind comes up with the sun and as the morning progressed so did the wind.

I should have packed it in when one of the hub wall straps (connected in the middle with nylon release buckles) came apart at the buckle causing the leading hub to pop inside. Should have heeded that warning but instead, not trusting the buckles to stay together, I tied the strap together, thinking I put the big bad wolf to bed. Every so often a loud gust could be heard coming from upwind. A little disconcerting but the tent always stayed together. Early in the afternoon, the bite waning, I was contemplating calling it a day when I heard a freight train coming (there is no tracks for 30 kms). Inside the tent the roar of the train was getting louder and closer...…inside the tent I was looking at the hub that would be bearing the full force of that noise. Wham, in 1/10 of second I was no longer sheltered by a tent, it was 200 yards downwind and collapsing.

The nylon summer deck chair that I was sitting on had broken and I was down on the ice, shell shocked, my head hurt and I felt for blood.... none there, I looked around to see what else might be threatening me...my 20# propane tank was on it's side, the sunflower heater element broken off, the tank was venting propane rapidly, shut that off! Flasher on it's side, still working, jigging jaw jacker flipped over still jigging, tackle and hooks everywhere.

This tent was secured to the ice with twelve ice screws, every one of them still screwed into the ice, every one of them had a torn strap connected to it.

I've got a nasty wound on my head just above my right eye. Still hurts one week later.

Heed the wind!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !
Ouch now that would be a @#$%^$ day, hope all is good. We ended down to gull little wind and you can drive on easily. Didnt fill any tags but the walleye are there get em up half way to hole and they get off. Out come the stinger hooks.
Old 03-05-2020, 07:30 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

I enjoy an adventure but it's gotta be enjoyable

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 03-05-2020, 09:05 AM

Default Suffering

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
I enjoy an adventure but it's gotta be enjoyable
Adventures are enjoyable in retrospect. There must be lotsa suffering in order to be qualified as an "adventure".

Never fished Phillipps Lake through the ice and I don't have a sled. Decided to giver' yesterday. It's been windy down here for over a week now but I was thinking that the lake being surrounded by high peaks might get some protection from the wind

Preparations included digging my trailer out of a snow drift before loading the ATV. Made a stiff hitch outa' metal conduit for my Jet Sled XL toboggan and off I went in the wind and drifting snow. ATV got me 1.5 km from the lake before it bogged down in snow going uphill. This is where the suffering begins. Unhooked the toboggan and took out all the unnecessary gear to lighten the load and proceeded to walk the rest of the way, all uphill, in various depths of snow, over hill over dale...I'm a walking sponge. Finally get to the top and I can see the lake below me all shone up from the wind.

Well I didn't fish long enough to get bored. Punched 20 holes in the ice and fished them all without marking a fish on my flasher. That right there (and the wind) told me that I wasn't going to have a good fishing day.

Phillipps Lake was last stocked in 2014 (cutties). Just had to try it...

No. Not investing in a sled
Old 03-06-2020, 01:13 AM

I'd be tempted to go to the windiest lake but I would leave my fishing tackle at home and take an ice boat with skis out instead.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tj6nKSqmCTo
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets