Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 06-04-2010, 01:38 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheephunter View Post
We typically use 3/8 ounce jigs but I'm going to give the big Bondy Baits a try Sunday.

They look interesting,, I will be awaiting your prognoses on them..

Are you going to be using the 7 ounce version ???
Old 06-04-2010, 01:41 PM

Thank you for the reminder Sheep, I am heading out with a buddy who has limited experience on Minnewanka. We will sterilize the boat, and be ready to report for inspection.

Where do you find Bismuth Fuzz-E's? I have heard of a place in Canmore that has a decent selection of non-lead lures, can anyone please elaborate on which store will have the best selection?
Old 06-04-2010, 01:42 PM
sheephunter

Yup. Used them up on Athabasca with great results. I've had big lake trout hit small trout (3 pounds) that I was fighting many times on Minnewanka so I think they might work well for some of the bigger trout. Just have to keep them out of all the stumps on the bottom.......
Old 06-04-2010, 01:43 PM
sheephunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fisherman Guy View Post
Thank you for the reminder Sheep, I am heading out with a buddy who has limited experience on Minnewanka. We will sterilize the boat, and be ready to report for inspection.

Where do you find Bismuth Fuzz-E's? I have heard of a place in Canmore that has a decent selection of non-lead lures, can anyone please elaborate on which store will have the best selection?
I just bought some round heads at Wholesale and my buddy from Reelbait made me up some bismuth Walleye Flashers. You can buy Fuzz-E-Grub Bodies pretty well anywhere. I've got a few new rubber bodies I'm going to try out as well.
Old 06-04-2010, 01:53 PM

Thanks for the advice TJ, I looked at WSS today and must have missed the bodies, so I picked up a few that I will swap out with bismuth jig heads.
Old 06-04-2010, 01:56 PM
sheephunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fisherman Guy View Post
Thanks for the advice TJ, I looked at WSS today and must have missed the bodies, so I picked up a few that I will swap out with bismuth jig heads.
I haven't bought any there for a while but they usually have some bulk bins of bodies.
Old 06-04-2010, 09:24 PM

Minnewanka's been fishing poorly all week - cold weather and rain squalls pretty much every afternoon/evening. What fish have been caught have been in under 30 ft of water with slow presentations - and mainly in the a.m. before 10:00. Wind was from the east this afternoon/evening I was skunked on it tonight using a tube jig (bismuth head) and tried trolling an apex. The water is still pretty clear - saw the odd 'follow' - but no takers.

Should be better this weekend though. Good luck!
Old 06-06-2010, 12:27 AM

Just got in from the lake, no fish for our boat today. Great day on the water though, a few scattered showers but nothing to complain about. Not many people were hooking up with fish.

Do you drive a big cuddy with a blue canopy? If so, you're a dick. Just about swamped us out when you took off this evening out of the marina and passed us at about 40 yards going full tilt on our port side. If we were in a tin can, we would've been swimming to shore.
Old 07-01-2010, 09:16 PM

Anyone been to L.M. lately. Hows the fishing?

Sheep have you ever used NO: 4 willow leafs with artifical worm in this lake. I'm sure you could fish deep with this setup on too. You also mentioned no lead in here, so I'm quessing a feller better leave those little round lead weights at home?
Old 07-31-2010, 04:43 PM

Hey does anyone have information on how I can get to the boat launch?
Also the fees involved? boat launch fee?
Do i need a national park pass for the lake?

Thanks
Old 07-16-2011, 12:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishingnutter View Post
If I could figure out how to do google maps I could show you several places,, however; if you are in a boat, bring a pre measured line to 60 feet and try to stay on a spot that depth. If using a spoon, best colour I find is light turquoise or pale green with some white, work the lure at a ten foot range from the bottom as you would a buzz bomb, no leader and if you can get it, the Maxima Ultragreen 8lb test. If you wait an hour I should have figured out a crude map of a 60' deep area.

If they had a thermometer that you could lower down to a reading of 41 Farenheit that would be great,,, NOT 39F, 41.
My 8 yr old son and I are going out next week (July 21 2011) for a week of camping. I usually bring my boat along and try for some lakers. I have had some luck on the north shore as most have at the first point, the first waterfall, and have had a bit of luck at the birch point about 1/3 of the way up the lake on the north shore. Just wondering if you might point me in the right direction for some other spots (and perhaps depths) to try as I have not caught a trout in over 2 years there, we have been going yearly for the past 8 yrs. Much obliged for any advice you might be able to offer.

Brad
Old 07-16-2011, 12:44 AM

spent all day on the lake today , fishing was good ... most of our fish were caught in 40- 65 fow.. we fished all over had action pretty much everywhere we fished ..

mamba,