Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 05-13-2010, 09:32 AM

Default Margaret Lake conditions?

Has anyone been up to Margaret Lake lately? Just wondering if the ice is off and if any fish survived the winter.

I haven't fished up there before, so any tips would also be appreciated. We might try to drag a 12' aluminum up there.
Old 05-13-2010, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustard73 View Post
Has anyone been up to Margaret Lake lately? Just wondering if the ice is off and if any fish survived the winter.

I haven't fished up there before, so any tips would also be appreciated. We might try to drag a 12' aluminum up there.
Which way are you going in and what are dragging your boat with? I have been there a few times with quad but only at the end of March or early April when things are still frozen, and I could follow the packed down snowmobile paths. Margaret Lake does not winter kill. I would recommend the norh end of the lake, where I believe it is the Ponton River that flows in. Great spot for Grayling and pike. Try around the lodge for lakers. If you get there when the ice is just coming off the lake the trout will be shallow and you can catch them from shore. If you go in on the Foggy Tower road consider fishing Semo lake for lake trout. I have caught many of them there but mostly in December/January as I have never fished there in the summer. Good luck.
Old 05-13-2010, 02:52 PM

I think he means Margaret lake in the Waiprous area. And if he does Im not too sure if there are pike in that lake. I thought it was stocked with Rainbows only?
Old 05-13-2010, 02:59 PM

Sorry I didn't specify which Margaret Lake, but I'm talking about the one in Waiporous.
Old 05-13-2010, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustard73 View Post
Sorry I didn't specify which Margaret Lake, but I'm talking about the one in Waiporous.
......Please disregard my post.....
Old 05-13-2010, 08:55 PM

The lake winter killed last season. I think you can find more information about it online in some forum or another. My friend was up there last year and said there were fish all over the shore of the lake so that confirmed what I had read on the forums.
Old 05-14-2010, 10:43 AM

Thats too bad. I might head up anyways to see if they survived this winter. Do you know what time of year your buddy went up there last year? I'm not sure if it would still be frozen. I know last year Upper K was still frozen May long.
Old 05-28-2010, 09:54 AM

Red face directions to margaret lake.

hello, does any body know the best way to get to margaret lake off waiparous valley road. what bait do you recomend
Old 05-28-2010, 09:36 PM

sorta off topic but i have read and heard that you need a 4x4 for the trial that leads up to margaret lake. i have also been curious about heading there too but is this so called road that rough where you need a well built 4x4 to get in?
Old 05-28-2010, 10:01 PM

While I haven't made it all the way (maybe about 3/4), I've been told by locals that there's a spot where it gets dicey with deep mud. They were in a stock Ford F250 with bigger tires on and they turned back. We didn't head up any further and trusted their judgement but I would have liked to see it to be sure. All I know is the only vehicles we saw go further ahead were quads and big lifted 4x4's.
Old 05-28-2010, 10:40 PM

http://www.whiteknight.ca/waiparous.jpg

This lake is subject to winter kill.
Old 05-28-2010, 10:44 PM
Banned

A good Jeep will get you in there.
Old 05-29-2010, 07:45 AM

it was iced over on the May long weekend.
Old 07-21-2010, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the local angler View Post
sorta off topic but i have read and heard that you need a 4x4 for the trial that leads up to margaret lake. i have also been curious about heading there too but is this so called road that rough where you need a well built 4x4 to get in?
i went down that maze of roads to get there, i would recomend a good 4x4. i used 2 wheel drive most of the way,but 3/4 of the way turns into a muddy bog. i had to back up down the trail and try the cut line that leads to the lake. i used the quad on the cut line with no success it was to boggy as well. i would recomend following the trail map provided at the ghost fluz info post to find the way. drive the trail to the cut line and then hike the cut line to the lake. you might have success that way. good luck and dont get stuck