Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 11-15-2011, 03:22 PM

oh oh, have you been argueing 9 pages on the wrong lake? lol, just jibing you
Old 11-15-2011, 03:24 PM
sheephunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin.C View Post
Trust me I kept fish out of that lake and always got checked by the co's I never got a ticket and ate some good fish.
I ate some great trout and pike out of there too According to the info I posted it's been C&R since 1990 when the walleye were first introduced. How old were you in 1990?

Last edited by sheephunter; 11-15-2011 at 03:27 PM. Reason: Correct dates
Old 11-15-2011, 03:26 PM
Banned

[QUOTE=pickrel pat;1161712]
Quote:

and here.
Wow pickle you sure seem to be trying to get me going latley...... A fish over 50 cm is all the government alloude back in those days....I was young and did not know better. Also we had a 1/4 the people living here and everything was better.Now things have changed and we are trying to fix what we all screwed up.... So thanks anyway...AAlso when I am talking about spawners that is the 5+lbs females that get taken out. not the 2-3 lbs big difference as it takes a walleye a long time to reach 5lbs....
Old 11-15-2011, 03:28 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheephunter View Post
I ate some great trout and pike out of there too According to the info I posted it's been C&R since 1986 when the walleye were first introduced. How old were you in 1986?
A lot younger than you... But on a serious note why would I lie about this?????? I have nothing to gain and according to you I am admitting to be a poacher even though a fish cop always checked us out....
Old 11-15-2011, 03:30 PM
sheephunter

Quote:
A lot younger than you... But on a serious note why would I lie about this?????? I have nothing to gain and according to you I am admitting to be a poacher even though a fish cop always checked us out....
I'm not saying you are lying or were a poacher but the info doesn't lie. I'm saying perhaps you were mistaken on the lake. You do occasionally throw facts out to support a position that don't always pass the test Truthfully, there wasn't much of a walleye fishery in CVR till the late 90s.
Old 11-15-2011, 03:31 PM

[QUOTE=Justin.C;1161721]
Quote:
Originally Posted by pickrel pat View Post
Wow pickle you sure seem to be trying to get me going latley...... A fish over 50 cm is all the government alloude back in those days....I was young and did not know better. Also we had a 1/4 the people living here and everything was better.Now things have changed and we are trying to fix what we all screwed up.... So thanks anyway...AAlso when I am talking about spawners that is the 5+lbs females that get taken out. not the 2-3 lbs big difference as it takes a walleye a long time to reach 5lbs....
actually on a fertile southern resevoir it dont take long for an eye to get to 5 lb. now an unfertile cold sheild lake it would take a long time. and 50 cm + walleye are spawners.
Old 11-15-2011, 03:35 PM
Banned

Quote:
I'm not saying you are lying or were a poacher but the info doesn't lie. I'm saying perhaps you were mistaken on the lake. You do occasionally throw facts out to support a position that don't always pass the test If you were keeping walleye in CVR 10+ years ago, you were breaking the law.
Well if I still had regs from back then I would prove you wrong.... Also I am not going to post peoples name to prove you wrong...Just like the provincal park thing.Trust me I never broke any laws when I kept fish from there... Also I dodnt know if I am reading it correctly but you post has a few years missing....
Old 11-15-2011, 03:37 PM
Banned

[QUOTE=pickrel pat;1161733]
Quote:

actually on a fertile southern resevoir it dont take long for an eye to get to 5 lb. now an unfertile cold sheild lake it would take a long time. and 50 cm + walleye are spawners.
I am quoting the big signs that you see at the lake that state how long it takes...I am not a biologist.So I am sorry if I was incorrect on that statement
Old 11-15-2011, 03:38 PM

[QUOTE=Justin.C;1161739]
Quote:
Originally Posted by pickrel pat View Post
I am quoting the big signs that you see at the lake that state how long it takes...I am not a biologist.So I am sorry if I was incorrect on that statement
fair enough.
Old 11-15-2011, 03:47 PM

Im very old and had to confirm my poor memory with another fisherman.
I do beleive CVR was open to harvest some years after the first planting. It was short lived though as fish were being taken so fast, Captain Highliner would beam with pride. A closure was put in place along with a substantial re stocking. I myself never did harvest a walleye during that open period.
The above is not gospel, the only notes i have for CVR are for the last 4 years.
Old 11-15-2011, 03:50 PM
sheephunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by chubbdarter View Post
Im very old and had to confirm my poor memory with another fisherman.
I do beleive CVR was open to harvest some years after the first planting. It was short lived though as fish were being taken so fast, Captain Highliner would beam with pride. A closure was put in place along with a substantial re stocking. I myself never did harvest a walleye during that open period.
The above is not gospel, the only notes i have for CVR are for the last 4 years.
CVR was only stocked from 1990-1992 and there has been no catch and keep or subsequent stocking that I can find reference to nor that I can recall but the most recent study I've read in 2004 so it is possible there may have been a stocking after that but I don't remember it but I'm certain there has never been catch and keep since 1990.. There may have been the very odd walleye in CVR prior to then due to its connectivity to the Bow but there was no established population.....at least that's what my old mind and research tells me.
Old 11-15-2011, 03:56 PM

[QUOTE=Justin.C;1161710]
Quote:
Hey Chub...Like I have said before.If there is proof that this or anything else will make it better than lets do it... I still have not seen anything to confirm that it will make it better... So please so me the info and I will back you up 100%...My only thing is if we just say ok with out this what are they going to take next???
If you infact do even a little research, its a fairly common practice to provide fish with a stressfree enviroment during the entire spawn process.
Others have posted in this thread examples of lakes with area closures for this very purpose.
I too am not a biologist, it just seems science and logic make the above a sensible option.
Im not sure whats next, it depends on how the fishery reacts. Sometimes in life it gets worst before it gets better
Old 11-15-2011, 04:08 PM

I believe Crawling Valley was a catch and keep fishery in 1994. I quite fishing it about this time and if anyone has an old set of regs from 1994 it would be interesting to check. I am fairly certain on the year as I sunk a new 1994 dodge dakota in the Crawling that year ice fishing and remember that day quite well.
Old 11-15-2011, 04:09 PM
Banned

Quote:
CVR was only stocked from 1990-1992 and there has been no catch and keep or subsequent stocking that I can find reference to nor that I can recall but the most recent study I've read in 2004 so it is possible there may have been a stocking after that but I don't remember it but I'm certain there has never been catch and keep since 1990.. There may have been the very odd walleye in CVR prior to then due to its connectivity to the Bow but there was no established population.....at least that's what my old mind and research tells me.
No disrepect but just caues you cant find it on goggle does not mean it does not exist...
Old 11-15-2011, 04:12 PM
sheephunter

Quote:
No disrepect but just caues you cant find it on goggle does not mean it does not exist...
Absolutely, none taken...so please show me something. There has been no catch and keep on CVR since 1990 and no subsequent stocking from 1992-2004. I'm not 100% certain about stocking in 2005-2011. I don't think so but could be wrong.
Old 11-15-2011, 04:18 PM
Banned

Quote:
Absolutely...so please show me something. There has been no catch and keep on CVR since 1990 and no subsequent stocking from 1992-2004. I'm not 100% certain about stocking in 2005-2011. I don't think so but could be wrong.
I am looking....Trustme...Does rob have any copies of the regs you could get him to check. I have my dad checking as he keeps all of that stuff..

Last edited by Justin.C; 11-15-2011 at 04:26 PM.
Old 11-15-2011, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Perhaps there were walleye in Barkenhouse Lake before they flooded it to form the Crawling Valley Reservoir? I know people who used to get a lot of big pike out of there long before CVR existed

Shove your masks and your vaccines
Non Compliance!!!!!!
"According to Trudeau, Im an extremist who needs to be dealt with"
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

The vaccine was not brought in for COVID. COVID was brought in for the vaccine. Once you realize that, everything else makes sense.” ~ Dr. Reiner Fuellmich
Old 11-15-2011, 06:13 PM
sheephunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneChristie View Post
Perhaps there were walleye in Barkenhouse Lake before they flooded it to form the Crawling Valley Reservoir? I know people who used to get a lot of big pike out of there long before CVR existed
I understand there may have been a few after the creation of CVR from the Bow but not before. It was definitely a small population if at all.
Old 11-15-2011, 07:32 PM

Default Spawners

People, you can bicker and drivel all you want about the regs on Travers, but until we have a slot size in effect it really won't matter a tinkers damm!! Been fish'n this lake for 30 years and the Pike Fishing is shot, got lucky 2 years ago and hauled in a 45 incher on hard water, not easy to put back down an 8" hole. My kids i'm sure are tired of me bitching about only being able to keep the big spawners, youngest 24, oldest 27. As for the WEST ARM depending on the year the big gals(WALLEYE) gathering for the spawn can be caught before the season closes, so now what?? Fished north western ontario for 18 years, guided for 5, i've seen things go all to hell in short order. The BIG FISH keep our fisheries alive anywhere in Canada, if you don't believe me keep on fishin!
Old 11-15-2011, 07:36 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthony5 View Post
People, you can bicker and drivel all you want about the regs on Travers, but until we have a slot size in effect it really won't matter a tinkers damm!! Been fish'n this lake for 30 years and the Pike Fishing is shot, got lucky 2 years ago and hauled in a 45 incher on hard water, not easy to put back down an 8" hole. My kids i'm sure are tired of me bitching about only being able to keep the big spawners, youngest 24, oldest 27. As for the WEST ARM depending on the year the big gals(WALLEYE) gathering for the spawn can be caught before the season closes, so now what?? Fished north western ontario for 18 years, guided for 5, i've seen things go all to hell in short order. The BIG FISH keep our fisheries alive anywhere in Canada, if you don't believe me keep on fishin!
lol...Bingo...good first post... I agree 100% though
Old 11-15-2011, 07:58 PM

I think your suggesting the purposed reg change is not enough to remedy the problem you describe......if thats the case, I fully agree we need more regulations to address the real problem.
Old 11-15-2011, 09:16 PM

Default Spawners

I'm not saying we need wholesale reg changes, but we need something to protect the fish (BIG FEMALES) to keep this potential awsome walleye fishery alive and well for years to come. Sadly the responsibility is on the the people that fish this lake, bio people are not always in the know.
Old 11-15-2011, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Ok I see what you are saying..I did not know that...As for spawning grounds you could say yhere are lots of spawning grounds in that lake so why only one spot??? Also why can you keep any walleye during this period????
This is a question that has been asked numerous times in this thread, with myself included in asking it. It's a good question, and it's one that makes this regulation change very strange.... There hasn't been any data provided, in this thread or to people searching for it by asking around, that supports the closure of only the west arm. As was pointed out earlier in this thread by the people/organizations pushing for and supporting this closure, the closure is to protect the spawning walleye- pre, during, and post. And as you've noted, along with others in here, the west arm isn't the only spawning grounds in Travers... So if the reason for closure is to protect spawning walleye, why pin point only the west arm?? Unless there is some underlying motive, it baffles me to be honest.

Quote:
First off, i applaud everyone in this thread for keeping cool heads and avoiding a lock down. Thank You.
(except for the obvious 1 and 2 post alters)

Some of posters seem to have a huge dislike for the SRD, which may be founded for whatever personal reasons they may have.
Some have posted their personal discussions on what SRD has told them, e.g. "That the arm is not a major spawning area", that comment alone is confussing and lessens the credibilty of this change.
Although i respect that certain clubs claim to have pushed this reg change thru, I want the data from SRD that backs this reg change, data which has been refussed to us. Proper data that gives us the best options for the lake's health. Data that indicates population numbers,fishing pressure,year classes,areas of the lake that need special consideration, etc etc.
Without the data and paper trail i fail to see SRD's purpose or function concerning OUR fish.
My issue has been from the beginning a issue of transperancy. All though i back this reg change in part as it is written. As a fisherman of Travers for over 40 years i see a problem. Is my issue with certain clubs an special interest groups?, not really but there appears to be some evidence in this thread that may indicate they know more than average joe blow fisherman.
Am i against tournament fisherman? Not in the least, they provide a competitive avenue for the sport and its open to all. Would i like to see the next Gary Parsons be a Alberta fisherman....fore sure!!!

I have kept fairly detailed notes every year on how my fishing is on Travers for the past 23 years, open and ice. I wish i had scribbles going back further.
The main concern i have with the past 3 years is the lack of certain year classes, so lacking i believe they are almost non exsistant.
Do i believe the eyes use the Arm for spawning...absolutely. Is it their only spawn site....Absolutely not. Is it their optimum area for success....Absolutely Yes. The arm provides the temp range for spawning early in the year. It provides the bottom substrate that walleyes will spawn on. Waters near and on route provide ideal pre and post spawn areas, waters that provide forage and depth.
Do they use other spawn areas? Yes and in fact i know of 2 areas they didnt use 10 years ago. Are those fish forced to spawn else where because of the Arm's traffic? Is it weather related?

I mearly want the facts from the people who should know or are suppose to know. The data they used to suggest this reg change should answer my questions and we will continue to try find the data

Not a crybaby , poor me post...just a update that i havent given up. When i do find out any info.....I will share it with everyone, because those fish belong to EVERYONE
Good post Chubm thanks for being an "investigative reporter" with all this! Much appreciated! Hopefully your digging will bring to light some answers to all questions surrounding this closure.
Old 11-15-2011, 09:44 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoFugger21 View Post
This is a question that has been asked numerous times in this thread, with myself included in asking it. It's a good question, and it's one that makes this regulation change very strange.... There hasn't been any data provided, in this thread or to people searching for it by asking around, that supports the closure of only the west arm. As was pointed out earlier in this thread by the people/organizations pushing for and supporting this closure, the closure is to protect the spawning walleye- pre, during, and post. And as you've noted, along with others in here, the west arm isn't the only spawning grounds in Travers... So if the reason for closure is to protect spawning walleye, why pin point only the west arm?? Unless there is some underlying motive, it baffles me to be honest.

Good post Chubm thanks for being an "investigative reporter" with all this! Much appreciated! Hopefully your digging will bring to light some answers to all questions surrounding this closure.
The problem is there are more spots in every lake that fish spawn..It is never in the creek mouth... That is the biggest reason I am against this reg change... I read that the tourney put huge pressure on this spot...So why does the walleye trail just put that as off limits...I still have no idea why anybody can keep a fish during a spawn... You are robbing from your future fishery... Should it be close??? I think if it is there so should the whole lake...But I still have not seen any facts that this is needed... So if someone has this info please fill me in....
Old 11-15-2011, 09:57 PM

Quote:
The problem is there are more spots in every lake that fish spawn..It is never in the creek mouth... That is the biggest reason I am against this reg change... I read that the tourney put huge pressure on this spot...So why does the walleye trail just put that as off limits...I still have no idea why anybody can keep a fish during a spawn... You are robbing from your future fishery... Should it be close??? I think if it is there so should the whole lake...But I still have not seen any facts that this is needed... So if someone has this info please fill me in....
and we are back to disagreeing.................lol
Old 11-15-2011, 09:59 PM
Banned

Quote:
and we are back to disagreeing.................lol
I ment to say never just in the creek mouth...We still agree Chub.
Old 11-15-2011, 10:04 PM

This is what i think of this thread........... what a joke .....around and around we go who's RIGHT i will never know !!!!
Old 11-15-2011, 10:15 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drop_Tine View Post
This is what i think of this thread........... what a joke .....around and around we go who's RIGHT i will never know !!!!
Well what do you think Jason??? I know you fish there a bit.
Old 11-15-2011, 10:31 PM

Quote:
You're asking the same thing I've been asking.... (see post #218)

BUT.... I don't quite understand why you don't think a longer closure would most likely be beneficial for the lake overall? Maybe you don't feel that way, but that's how some of your posts read....
Old 11-15-2011, 10:53 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoFugger21 View Post
You're asking the same thing I've been asking.... (see post #218)

BUT.... I don't quite understand why you don't think a longer closure would most likely be beneficial for the lake overall? Maybe you don't feel that way, but that's how some of your posts read....
If it is benificial to the lake I am 1000000000% for it..All for making it better.....